Parliament Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
They're about as much fun as another question about that Steve Bracks "affair" (I use that term as lightly as possible) from Malcolm Turnbull! OLOL!

On the subject of the Member for Wentworth, I saw him acknowledge the camera in question time today. I only caught the last fifteen minutes, so naturally it was the highlight for me.

Muz4PM

HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
I don't think that what happened in the past in question time should be grounds for saying what should happen in the future. Prepared statements answer questions and inform everyone much better than impromptu answers ever could. I'd also argue that they allow better scrutiny of ministers actually, since it shows that they're doing their work. If an answer is subpar even with a prepared statement, it shows that there's a problem. If everyone was improvising and speaking mostly crap like Costello and co used to do on a frequent basis, then very little real scrutiny can occur. And frankly, if it's a change from the lousy answering techniques employed by Howard and co then I don't see how anyone could regard it as a problem.
A prepared statement = ministerial statement, not a question without notice. A Dorothy and an associated typed answer do not prove that a minister can do their job; it simply proves that they passed primary school and can read. A minister that does their job can quite as easily get up without a statement and relay to the house what they had done and what benefits it has etc.

I find it interesting that you choose to level criticism at ‘Howard and co’ for their ‘lousy answering techniques.’ What were their lousy answering techniques? You talk about all the ‘crap’ Costello went on about in question time. I can only assume that you are in reference to times when he would slag off about the economy under Labor, Swan’s deficiencies, preselection and associated internal party problems in the ALP. If that is the case, and if I am incorrect, please correct me, can you outline where the ALP has not done the same thing?

You say that you don’t see how anyone could regard this as a problem. Indeed, ministers reading off prepared statements and such in question time can be a minor issue. However, if a minister, particularly a senior member of cabinet cannot perform their job without a prepared statement, then maybe they are not be the best person for the job.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Oh FFS. :rolleyes:

Muz4PM said:
A prepared statement = ministerial statement, not a question without notice. A Dorothy and an associated typed answer do not prove that a minister can do their job; it simply proves that they passed primary school and can read. A minister that does their job can quite as easily get up without a statement and relay to the house what they had done and what benefits it has etc.
You originally said that you had no problem with a minister having some brief notes to guide them through an answer. What difference does it make if they have extensive notes, or brief notes? What is the difference beyond the length of notes themselves? Yeah, in an ideal world ministers would know everything about their departments and would be able to answer any given question properly without reading a thing. However we all know that's not the case. So what is the practical difference of reading from a statement or waffling on ala Costello and not really answering a thing? I'll tell you the difference. The difference is that we get much more accurate and reliable information from ministers if they're reading from a prepared statement than we would if they were waffling on from memory.

The point of Question time is to ask questions of the government, get an answer, and to ensure that the government knows what its doing (and that they're doing it properly). Thoroughly researching an answer and delivering it by speaking from a prepared statement fulfils all of those goals far better than what you're suggesting ever could.

And by the way, that notion that a minister could get up and answer any question properly without a statement is, as I said, a little dumb. At best, you'll find a mediocre response which is always below that of a prepared answer.

I find it interesting that you choose to level criticism at ‘Howard and co’ for their ‘lousy answering techniques.’ What were their lousy answering techniques? You talk about all the ‘crap’ Costello went on about in question time. I can only assume that you are in reference to times when he would slag off about the economy under Labor, Swan’s deficiencies, preselection and associated internal party problems in the ALP. If that is the case, and if I am incorrect, please correct me, can you outline where the ALP has not done the same thing?
Well eh, thing is I never said that the ALP doesn't do the same thing. :rofl:

But yeah, you've got a point, the ALP does engage in those tactics every now and then, but only in a few cases relating to Wayne Swan (which were absent today, thankfully) have they ever got in the way of answering a question. I mean, let's do a comparison. Remember the Latham Diaries and how the government seized the opportunity and let every answer drift into some crap about that? Plenty of lulz to be had there. Remember last night's Four Corners program? Hmmm, barely any mention today. :D

You say that you don’t see how anyone could regard this as a problem. Indeed, ministers reading off prepared statements and such in question time can be a minor issue. However, if a minister, particularly a senior member of cabinet cannot perform their job without a prepared statement, then maybe they are not be the best person for the job.
:rofl: ludicrous.

And I might add, as it amuses me so much, that public opinion says otherwise. Even with prepared statements from ol Kevvy (apparently), he still maintains a 61% lead over Brendan Nelson. On a 2PP basis, Labor enjoys a 14% lead. Clearly the majority believe that they are the best people for the job, even if they do the dastardly deed of reading from prepared statements. :rofl:

HSC
I agree that Tanner should replace Swanny as treasurer. Unfortunately, I seem to remember that sometime during the election campaign, when the Libs were playing up the risk of Labor, Rudd came out and promised that Swan would be treasurer under his government. That promise presumably won't last forever, but I'd say Swan is locked in for the next year at least.

He seemed a little better today though. He still had no idea what he was talking about, but at least he gave the impression of being confident...

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
Silver Persian said:
but at least he gave the impression of being confident...
I would contest that.

At times he's almost completely facing the ALP side of the house when he talks; as though he's searching for approval for what he's saying...

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Sounds like a close reading of parliament. :p

There really weren't any questions today that stumped Swan imo. He's still a little shaky and nervous and whatever, but he did a decent job of answering questions and so on.

Gillard's attack on those workchoices brochures and mousepads was hilarious. Particularly when the following (roughly reconstructed) exchange took place:

That guy up the back: Maybe she can bundle the mousepads together with the free computers she wants to give away!
Speaker: That wasn't a point of order
Gillard: I'd do that but I wouldn't want to scare the young children with workchoices mousepads.

:rofl:

That's Costello level humour right there. :D

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Sounds like a close reading of parliament. :p

There really weren't any questions today that stumped Swan imo. He's still a little shaky and nervous and whatever, but he did a decent job of answering questions and so on.

Gillard's attack on those workchoices brochures and mousepads was hilarious. Particularly when the following (roughly reconstructed) exchange took place:

That guy up the back: Maybe she can bundle the mousepads together with the free computers she wants to give away!
Speaker: That wasn't a point of order
Gillard: I'd do that but I wouldn't want to scare the young children with workchoices mousepads.

:rofl:

That's Costello level humour right there. :D
lol the second time i ever watched Parliament, She was hilarious.
lol the liberals are OWNING swan.

mohamed100

HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
He had no idea when asked about the effects state debt is having on inflation. He didn't know the debt figure nor the effect. He just rambled on about high inflation...5 point plan...howard did nothing for 11 years...raise productivity...etc.

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
It will be intriguing to see how long it is 'acceptable' in the eyes of the electorate for the Rudd Government to keep blaming the current issues on the previous government. I would suggest no longer than 18 months...

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I would agree to that.

mohammed100 said:
He had no idea when asked about the effects state debt is having on inflation. He didn't know the debt figure nor the effect. He just rambled on about high inflation...5 point plan...howard did nothing for 11 years...raise productivity...etc.
I recall him saying something about the effects of state debt, and that he simply couldn't recall the exact figures. I could be mistaken.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
I recall him saying something about the effects of state debt, and that he simply couldn't recall the exact figures. I could be mistaken.
His response was along the lines of "The Howard government neglected infrastructure investment in the states as a means to boost productivity to fight inflation; we plan to work with the states to improve productivity; if the opposition is going to turn question time into an economic pop quiz then they'll have to realise that sometimes I'll have the particular figures they want with me and sometimes I won't."

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
(That's a very paraphrased version of it, but it's more or less accurate, I think. The draft hansard is on the parliament house website if anyone wants to check it.)

atreus

HSC
wayne swan does not know his stuff. as a result, instead of answering the question he resorts to his instincts. being a former economics lecturer, he usually define the economic terms in the question, if that (he didnt with NAIRU). or else, he just goes back campaigning mode and keeps repeating what the old government did.

i remember when it came up that rudd would have to choose a treasurer in dec 2006, tanner was the most qualified for the job, i thinks he has a masters degree or something. but i think that bowen, although young still seems more competent than swan (to answer questions at least).

julia gillard seems to have replaced peter costello. lol at her and wilson tuckey. the time he got up and said about the cheer squads- funny stuff. also funny when he was interviewed outside parliament the day after the apology. does anyone know where to find that clip?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
lol

parliament goes off nowdays

HSC
Had a little pop quiz at the end of my first history tute, and there was a question asking to name a 19th century bush ranger other than Ned Kelly.

Just because the only name I could think of was Ziggy Stardust doesn't mean I have no chance at Australian History. There's a big difference between a pop quiz question and working at my desk with all the information I need next to me.

When Swan's in his office the entire Treasury will be telling him about these figures, just as Costello would have had. I won't deny Swan seems a poor Question Timer though. I agree Tanner probably should've been given Treasurer, but after Gillard got Deputy, Treasurer needed to go to someone from the Labor Right, so Swan got it.

Annabel Crabb has an article about Garrett letting loose on Greg Hunt yesterday, any chance of a video?

HSC
atreus said:
tanner was the most qualified for the job, i thinks he has a masters degree or something.
I think Tanner was a solicitor before politics, so he probably has a Law degree. Doesn't really matter though, most ministers don't have professional qualifications to match their portfolios, all they really have to do is listen to their departments, where the people with the real knowledge are, and keep ideology-based decisions to a minimum.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I see that Mr. Jenkins seems to agree with me about the use of question time. Goodo. :D

Trampoline Man said:
Annabel Crabb has an article about Garrett letting loose on Greg Hunt yesterday, any chance of a video?
Yeah, seriously. That must have occured after 3pm. Sometimes I watch SkyNews if I have a chance but not yesterday. :(

atreus said:
julia gillard seems to have replaced peter costello. lol at her and wilson tuckey. the time he got up and said about the cheer squads- funny stuff. also funny when he was interviewed outside parliament the day after the apology. does anyone know where to find that clip?
William Tuckey (I know his name now thanks to you) is my hero. :eek: He's so entertaining. lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)