Part Time/Casual Job and Uni (1 Viewer)

Undertoad

HSC
How many hours is a reasonable amount for a uni student to work each week and still spend a fair amount of time studying?

P

pLuvia

It depends, if your full time or part time uni student. But my brother he worked like 2 - 4days a week (including weekends sometimes)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
If you have 4 days of uni I suggest no more than 10 hours of work. It will take some time to get used to uni and then you can make a more informed decision.

Undertoad

HSC
Its full time but I think I'll only be there for 3 days a week. Pluvia is your brother doing full time or part time uni?

Tuna

HSC
N/A
Depends which course you are studying too. Also, if you're aiming for fail, pass, credit etc

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
When I did part-time last semester I very easily did 36 hours of work (picking up a D and HD at uni no sweat).

This semester I'm back full time and planning on doing about 28 hours work (four nights - thurs/fri/sat/sun) and uni should fit in easily mon/tues/weds/thurs.

Tuna

HSC
N/A
You did part time but she's planning to do full time. I also said which course you do will affect you. If you're a Med student you can't do it can you?(In order to achieve D and HD) But if you're an economic student you basically the ball game is different.

Undertoad

HSC
I'm doing property economics so yea its not med... but I wanna do well (D or HD's would be great)

Tuna

HSC
N/A
Eco student only have 16 hours or less of uni is that pretty much around the figure?

pete_mate

HSC
the fact that uni is in daytime is tricky tho, does that mean you have to work nights?

Undertoad

HSC
I think i've got 2 whole days off so there would be plently of time to work during the day

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
i was doing 30 hours of work as well as 4 (short) days at uni for a bit last year, and while i managed to pick up a few Ds I would NOT reccomend it. I was tired, irritable and stressed, even when there was nothing to be stressed about (although there usually was). I'm aiming for 15ish hours next year, and def wouldnt go higher than 20. Also I didnt even really use the extra money, i believe it filtered into my drinking and clothes buying money. And then I earned to m uch to get all of my tax back

edit: a day at uni for me equates to at least 4 hours of travel for me though, so if you dont have to travvel far to uni maybe doing more than 20 hours would be more maneagable

Last edited:

fnkychk

HSC
N/A
How about this:

12-8 four days a week at work
10 hours of uni. a week
and a few random hours at another job a week.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I used to work mornings eg 5am start before uni five days a week I definantly do NOT recommend that.

Now I work nights eg 1-10 four nights a week and I love it. It means I get more sleep in general, fits far better around both uni and social life, I actually do more hours so more money and I'm now 31C in my department which kicks arse.

HSC
i'm going to be a full time uni student this year, and my timetable shows that i have 24 hours of classes in the first semester (mon - fri) and even 25 hours in the second semester (mon - fri). for the first semester, i have to be at uni 9-4 and in the second sem even 9-5 some days.

now my question is, is it still worth looking for a casual position for something to do in february and hold it through uni? 'cos it even takes me 1hr+ to travel to and from uni.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
As above, it depends whether you want money or you're happy not working but you do have a lot of hours at uni and a lot of travel compared to a lot of students.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)