Part-time job with degree?? (1 Viewer)

bensta666

HSC
Is it even possible to get a part time job while doing an engineer degree?? Its just that the timetable is so packed.

decypher

HSC
I've managed to work about 15 hours a week for the last two years while overloading an engineering degree. It can be done.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Is it even possible to get a part time job while doing an engineer degree?? Its just that the timetable is so packed.
I work 21 hours per week with an engineering degree.

Its not too hard.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
how much of a commute will you have to do for uni?

i travel 2 hours each way, and found that i struggled with more than 10 hours per week

personally, even if i didn't have to travel, i wouldnt want to work more than that anyway as 8-10 hours gives you about $100 which is enough to play with and have a bit of fun on weekends

erm

HSC
While you guys are around, do you have any suggestions as to the type of jobs you have been doing?

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
industrial experience is the best, but basically any casual job just for cash. expect about $10-$15 per hour. supermarket, hospitality, sales are the most common.

try to avoid mentioning the "u" word (university) at all times, as they will assume you won't be able to work any hours

erm

HSC
industrial experience is the best, but basically any casual job just for cash. expect about $10-$15 per hour. supermarket, hospitality, sales are the most common.

try to avoid mentioning the "u" word (university) at all times, as they will assume you won't be able to work any hours

Thanks for the tip.

But I'm thinking it would be hard to gain employment - due to the poor flexibility of engineering students (because of the long contact hours). :spzz:

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
Thanks for the tip.

But I'm thinking it would be hard to gain employment - due to the poor flexibility of engineering students (because of the long contact hours). :spzz:
most engineering people i know at uni don't work during the week, but work on saturdays or sundays

that's why working just for a big supermarket or something is usually best, because there is always weekend work available and they would have more shifts available during holidays so you can earn extra cash.

i worked for a smallish business (about 20 employees) for a while, and the biggest problem i faced was that in the holidays i wasn't able to get any extra shifts simply because the work wasn't there

just apply to as many places as possible, and take whatever you're offered

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)