Part-time work during uni (1 Viewer)

Lina3

HSC
I am thinking of looking for a casual job atm but feel a little hesitant since I am unsure what the workload will be once uni starts. Next year I am doing a double degree if I get the offer for it (nothing too heavy, its Music/Arts) and would also like a decent social life, as well as sufficient time for study. My question is, is it relatively easy to balance a casual job with all these aspects of uni life? Or is it something that would often get in the way?

The main reason I wish to get a job is for the experience, not necessarily the money so another option I have considered is doing volunteering through uni. Would this be beneficial in terms of gaining experience? Or is it more practical to get a paying job? (Even if I do, will do some volunteering anyway since I enjoy it :))

All responses appreciated, and thank you in advance :)

Last edited:

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
I'm sure you'll fit in a social life with casual work.

You're not like me, where I'm going to have to work full-time & study part-time. If you want to do something, you'll make the time. You'll just have to pick the best time table, and time manage from there. Although isn't full-time study like nearly every day?

Man, I'm not the best person to help you...

All I know is that doing a B Comm part-time is 2 subjects a sem, so like 2 night classes a week.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I am thinking of looking for a casual job atm but feel a little hesitant since I am unsure what the workload will be once uni starts. Next year I am doing a double degree if I get the offer for it (nothing too heavy, its Music/Arts) and would also like a decent social life, as well as sufficient time for study. My question is, is it relatively easy to balance a casual job with all these aspects of uni life? Or is it something that would often get in the way?

The main reason I wish to get a job is for the experience, not necessarily the money so another option I have considered is doing volunteering through uni. Would this be beneficial in terms of gaining experience? Or is it more practical to get a paying job? (Even if I do, will do some volunteering anyway since I enjoy it :))

All responses appreciated, and thank you in advance :)
Casual job? Not full time? It could work. I had a casual job, I worked weekends during uni, and that was fine.

I have other friends who work as baristas and stuff and they take one or two days off, but they're Arts students anyway so they have those days off already... but their social life is rescued by virtue of the fact of their low workload, so they can just do whatever. If I just did Arts subjects, I'd have like eight hours a week uni which is plenty of time to have another job.

I can't imagine Music and Arts being an absolute pile of work, it really depends how many hours your casual job is and how much effort you want to put into your degree - but I think you should be fine with casual work, though try to make sure it doesn't clash much with uni.

Volunteering is always good, shows drive and passion - just depends on what opportunities become available and whether you'd like to pursue those.

Lina3

HSC
I'm sure you'll fit in a social life with casual work.

You're not like me, where I'm going to have to work full-time & study part-time. If you want to do something, you'll make the time. You'll just have to pick the best time table, and time manage from there. Although isn't full-time study like nearly every day?

Man, I'm not the best person to help you...

All I know is that doing a B Comm part-time is 2 subjects a sem, so like 2 night classes a week.
Thank you :) Best of luck!

Casual job? Not full time? It could work. I had a casual job, I worked weekends during uni, and that was fine.

I have other friends who work as baristas and stuff and they take one or two days off, but they're Arts students anyway so they have those days off already... but their social life is rescued by virtue of the fact of their low workload, so they can just do whatever. If I just did Arts subjects, I'd have like eight hours a week uni which is plenty of time to have another job.

I can't imagine Music and Arts being an absolute pile of work, it really depends how many hours your casual job is and how much effort you want to put into your degree - but I think you should be fine with casual work, though try to make sure it doesn't clash much with uni.

Volunteering is always good, shows drive and passion - just depends on what opportunities become available and whether you'd like to pursue those.
So would you say its best to wait until I start uni before actually getting a job so I know when I will be available?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yes, you want to know your hours you're available beforehand - you don't really want to chop and change early into the job because you just made a new timetable.

enoilgam

HSC
It shouldnt be too much of an issue - the vast majority of uni students work casual or part-time. Unlike HS and the HSC, you have much more free time in uni and there is way less pressure. Besides, having some extra cash in uni does help with the social side of things (which isnt always free).

Hatake88

HSC
Most uni students I know of have a part time job, including myself. Some of them work up to 18 hours but they are usually art students who, like someone said, have limited workloads. For those in more intensive degrees, we tend to do 1-2 shifts just for that extra little bit of money as well as experience. If you consistently work in the same workplace for your entire degree, you have a greater chance of being hired (being more of a well rounder in employers' eyes).

cadd1ct

The Chess Addict
HSC
Uni Grad
If you consistently work in the same workplace for your entire degree, you have a greater chance of being hired (being more of a well rounder in employers' eyes).
Really? I was thinking of switching jobs i.e from tutoring to like retail or something to broaden my experience. It's not like I'm not satisfied about my job or anything but I like doing different things to get a taste of different things.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191

Lina3

HSC
Alright, thanks for the advice everyone...will refine my resume and tailor it for a variety of jobs and then start applying after uni starts :p

Hatake88

HSC
Broadening your experience is great but I found sticking to one place has its benefits too. I work in fast food and, although its not the best job, I found it gets better as time goes on. I mean, I am now doing a certificate 3 in hospitality through them and would do a certificate 4 in management after that (both for free). My wage, since I stuck with them, is also a bit higher than minimum and I know I am going to get promoted sometime this year.

So yeah. Like, I guess if you get your foot into a big firm part time (then transfer to full time after you finish your degree), then that's better. Otherwise, I think supervisor at fast food > other retail jobs (also I had friends who changed jobs every 1-3 months...that's basically saying to other employers they have no commitment/cannot work in a team environment)

Lina3

HSC
Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great.
Thank you, and well done to you! 90+ ATAR AND work experience, judging from your sig you are on already on the road to a successful career :)

Broadening your experience is great but I found sticking to one place has its benefits too. I work in fast food and, although its not the best job, I found it gets better as time goes on. I mean, I am now doing a certificate 3 in hospitality through them and would do a certificate 4 in management after that (both for free). My wage, since I stuck with them, is also a bit higher than minimum and I know I am going to get promoted sometime this year.

So yeah. Like, I guess if you get your foot into a big firm part time (then transfer to full time after you finish your degree), then that's better. Otherwise, I think supervisor at fast food > other retail jobs (also I had friends who changed jobs every 1-3 months...that's basically saying to other employers they have no commitment/cannot work in a team environment)
Thanks for the advice :) Considering how tough it is to get a job, I will certainly stay in it for a while if I manage to snag one :) Yeah, I was thinking of applying to fast food but not focusing on it too much since I heard they mainly hire 14-16 year olds :( What fast food chain do you work for?

I have heard that the most beneficial sort of work is one that related to what you are doing , so I am considering teaching Music or something of that kind...or maybe becoming a research assistant in later years since I wish to do post-graduate work if it all goes well. However, I am not delusional about my degree...while you can get away with getting P's and C's in a more difficult degree like engineering and still get employed reasonably easily...a Pass or Credit average for Music/Arts is not a good look, so I fear Uni study will have to be first priority, hence why I my question deals with the time required to work a part-time job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)