Passive transport question (1 Viewer)

Whicanti

HSC
Screen Shot 2016-04-15 at 1.10.31 pm.png

Answer is B, though i dont know how.

There are large molecules on the outside of the cell, which means it cant be water because thats a small molecule. The large molecules are too large to simply diffuse into the cell. Wouldnt the water molecules inside the cell osmotically diffuse out of it to try and create an equilibrium with the external solute cells?

I initially chose C.

Maybe im missing something?

Last edited:

ml125

HSC
If the answer is B, the dots on the diagram could possibly be indicating H2O molecules; therefore having a higher concentration of water in solution than in the cell which would allow for the movement of water into the cell by osmosis. The mention of large molecules (as it is worded) could simply be an addition to the question itself to eliminate diffusion?

edit: don't trust me on this entirely, I don't even do bio anymore lol

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I agree with ^

Stupid question imo

The most correct would be C imo

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Since there is a 'high concentration' of large molecules outside the cell, then water will diffuse out as the solution outside has a higher solute concentration (hypertonic)

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Since there is a 'high concentration' of large molecules outside the cell, then water will diffuse out as the solution outside has a higher solute concentration (hypertonic)
Yeah but that's not the answer OP had unfortunately

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)