Passport.. (1 Viewer)

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Okay so I want to get a Dutch passport as I was born there and would consider returning there sometime in the future.

I looked into the Netherlands consulates and found the following..

c) Proof Netherlands nationality father &/or mother (valid Netherlands passport or naturalisation certificate)
........neither of them are?

d) Your birth certificate
I was born in Amsterdam and lived their for a bit when I was younger.

f) If not born in Australia, please provide proof that you have not become an Australian citizen by providing written proof from the Department of Immigration (you can write to the Freedom of Information Officer)
soooo....I cant be an Australian citizen and have a Dutch passport?

g) If you are naturalised please provide the naturalisation papers
ke?

So. Does that basically mean I cant get a Dutch passport as neither of my parents are Dutch, and im an Australian citizen?

gerhard

HSC
most likely, citizenships arent just given away lightly. of course you can always try and immigrate, but you know, theres a list...

just find out the process to get a working visa. obviously thats what your parents had to do.

Last edited:

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
hmmm I thought that it being the country of your place of birth and having a dutch birth certificate would be enough...perhaps not =\

7th Sign

HSC
usually if you are borne in a country you gain automatic dual citizenship..

I know a kid who was born in the usa but has lived in aus all his live he has like dual citizen ship..

if you apply for liek dual citizenship you should get it...

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
No, being born in another country has nothing to do with it. If both your parents are Australian, you are Australian. Just because you were physically born in a country doesn't mean you are automatically a citizen of the country.

I was born in Canada, but it doesn't mean I am entitled to a Canadian passport, that is just where my mother happened to give birth.

Peartie

HSC
You dont automatically become a citizen if you are born in a country...just like if you marry someone who is a citizen of a country you dont automatically get citizenship to that country (thats the Australian law anyway...and im pretty sure its that in other countries as well...)

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
For most countries, you aren't allowed Dual Citizenship- meaning for f) You can't have a dutch passport, if you already are australian- unless you denounce your australian citizenship.
Strangly enough i know this crap- I have Dual citizenship- French and Australian Passports, but i got in through a loop hole, which can only be done when you're born. ^^

Peartie

HSC
Australia lets u hold dual citizenship so if there is another country that does u can...as long as u meet the requirements....

Scanorama

HSC
Peartie said:
Australia lets u hold dual citizenship so if there is another country that does u can...as long as u meet the requirements....
Australia does, but it doesn't mean other countries allow it too. It looks llike Netherland does not recognise dual citizenship, otherwise why would you need to prove you are not a Australian citizen? Give the embassy a call.

HSC
Firstly, you were born overseas and lived there for quite a while, so im guessing that you have a birth certificate? If so, I believe that you can apply for Dutch citizenship. But here is the catch...

Many European nations do not allow dual citizenship. Fortunately, I believe the Netherlands do allow dual citizenship in some cases:

"Countries that allow dual citizenship (as of 6th June 2005): ... Netherlands..."
http://www.aph.gov.au/library/pubs/cib/2000-01/01cib05.htm

However, if they do not allow dual citizenship, then in through the eyes of the Dutch government, you would only be Dutch if you applied for Dutch citizenship. Then, through the eyes of the Australian government, you would be seen as Dutch and Australian due to Australia's legislation on dual citizenship. This could create problems in the future.

However, I doubt that will be happen as it seems that the Dutch allow dual citizenship. Just be weary when you are becoming a Dutch citizen through your local embassy that they don't ask you to renounce your Australian citizenship (and they may ask you that in Dutch or English, depending on how they run things).

Great idea applying for Dutch citizenship. Allows you to work all over Europe if you want as the Netherlands are part of the European Union.

note: don't trust what I have said, make sure you check with your local consulate.

Peartie

HSC
From memory one of my friends is a dual citizen with Netherlands and Australia coz when we went to Germany he was able to use hisnetherlands passport....and that was only because ONE of his GRANDpARENTS was dutch

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
People listen, if both your parents are Australian, then you are Australian!

You could have lived in the country for 300 years...unless you become a citizen of that country yourself (ie formally apply for citizenship), you remain Australian!

nwatts

HSC
Why would you want more than one passport? Is this like some kind of sick fetish?

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
nwatts said:
Why would you want more than one passport? Is this like some kind of sick fetish?
Hehe means you can live there for extended periods without needing a visa....

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
natstar said:
Becuase you need one if you want to work or live in a country without a visa. I need my Australian one to come back into Australia, but a European one to go to country to country out of Australia

You need a European passport to go to Europe?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
It's more so you are protected by more than one country's legal system... and have the rights of a citizen such as buying property, working overseas, sending kids to govt schools, having bank accounts, etc...

I know quite a few ppl (who shall remain nameless) who have 3 or 4 passports each... it depends which country we are visiting- they use a different one.

EDIT: *looks at list of countries prohibiting DC*... LMAO at the accuracy.

Last edited:

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
seremify007 said:
It's more so you are protected by more than one country's legal system... and have the rights of a citizen such as buying property, having bank accounts, etc...

I know quite a few ppl (who shall remain nameless) who have 3 or 4 passports each... it depends which country we are visiting- they use a different one.
oh dutch guys are hot...:) *points at sig
well, you know, people can give birth anywhere - if they're not citizens/PRs of that country then their baby has no right to claim citizenship either
some countries allow dual citizenship others don;t.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Ms 12 said:
You need a European passport to go to Europe?
I think it's faster than getting a VISA, and doesn't it allow you to travel around EU easier or something? Isn't it like.. when coming into aus.. if you've got an aussie passport you get to go through the shorter queues?

*isn't sure*

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I think you're confusing it with Visa.

You can't just get a passport from any country. You can only have one when you are deemed to have citizenship rights.

As far as travelling in the EU goes, if you are on an Australian passport you do not need a visa if staying less that 30 days. Same with many other parts of the world.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)