past hsc human rights Qs (1 Viewer)

brunette

HSC
i was wondering i anyone coud help me coz i got stumped on quite a few of the past hsc short answer questions

1. define the notion of individual human rights and provide and example. (2 marks)

2. identify one human right recognised in Aust law and outline how this human tight is protected by Aust law. (2marks)

3.use a specific international human rights issue, outline how domestic law has responded to this issue

for 3 i think i know the issues e.g. slavery, sufferage, unionism, treatment of refugees etc
but i have no idea how domestic they are protected i only know th einternational treaties

all help would be greatly appreciated

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
1. well, the best way to think of an individual right is one that isnt collective, so most rights are individual. e.g. the right to freedom of speech, etc. they are rights that can be asserted by an individual

2. Limited right to free speech, protected by common law (Political Advertising case), right to trial by jury in federal indictable offences (protected by constitution), right not to be discriminated against (all the discrimination legislation)

3. for domestic, u just look at usually legislation, or cases, for instance with the right to strike, the UN requested australia ammend legislation when the high court found there was no right to strike at common law, even tho it is an international right.

hope i helped

j_j_

HSC
While you are at it, can someone answer this short answer human rights question, It seems too easy. I think i'm missing something!

Outline was is ment by the notion of the individual and collective human rights.

brunette

HSC
thank you for that!!!
i called the hsc help line and they said an individual right is one that belongs to a sole person e.g. freedom of religion
and a collective right is one that belongs to a group of people eg right to self determination

hope that helps :)

Tim_Shady

HSC
N/A
with those questions - the first 2 i was cool with, but no. 3 - the international issue and protection by domestic legislation... im not sure about that one.

for example - an international issue would be the detaining of suspects in Guantanamo Bay for the whole war on terror thing (David Hicks etc.) This is against all the human rights etc. How has the domestic government done anything about this? I was looking at the bill of rights, and because the US has done it the way it has, by putting them in Cuba and calling them POW's, they technically aren't breaching the BOR / constitution.. and im not even sure if US has signed the ICCPR

wat would u guys suggest as an international issue then? im doing refugees as a domestic issue by the way

username

HSC
East timor as international, and refugees as domestic.

Bone577

HSC
N/A
If they ask you about an issue and ask how international AND domestic law has responded i would suggest the refugees.

Mention Article 9 of the ICCPR, it sais that people may not be held in detention arbitarily.

Also, mention that Aus has ratified the ICCPR making it part of domestic law. You could also mention a relevant part of the Constitution if there is one, or some sort of legislation on the matter. Anyone know of any such material?

digmahstigma

HSC
For international + domestic we did child sex tourism in class... people from australia going to say south-east asia etc.

i wonder if they'll do law and justice short answers this year tho? and human rights for the m. choice?

brunette

HSC
ahhh stupid exam...i prepared myslef so well for a question like this then they hit my with law and justice ...grr

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)