Pasteur (1 Viewer)

nesstar

"Describe the contribution of Pasteur and Koch to our understanding of infectious diseases"

In class for Pasteur I remember that we talked about the swan-necked flask experiment and spontaneous generation...but now I'm finding information in text books about the "germ theory of disease" which seems more relevant. What are we supposed to be talking about here???

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
For Pasteur you need to know the swan-necked flask experiment.
Read the results of the experiment and you'll find out why it is important to the dot point.

malkin86

HSC
To be brief; the swan-necked flask experiment disproved spontaneous generation theory and was the beginnings of germ theory. In ancient language 'germ' means 'seed' - one germ is the 'seed' for more germs. (if you remember from yr 11 about cell theory!!)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Pasteur also developed the process of pasteurisation and also (if my memory serves me correctly) worked of vaccinations and performed the first vaccination on a human that was suffering from rabies

nesstar

yeah...i found all that stuff in text books...and that is what concerned me...becuase I'm still unsure whether to focus on spontaneous generation or explore those other things...

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
The safest thing is to talk about them all, but most importantly that hs experiment proved that there are microbes in the (by disproving spontaneous generation) and that these are the cause of some infectious diseases

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
describe the contribution of Pasteur and Koch to our understanding of infectious diseases.

Pasteur's contribution was the germ theory of disease. The swan necked flask experiment was disproving spontaneous generation, which is something different.

perform an investigation to model Pasteur’s experiment to identify the role of microbes in decay.

This one could be either one you want really, I went for the spontaneous generation one because the experiment is easier to explain (practically) then the germ theory one.

slammindas

so wat ur sayin is that the germ theory of disease did not come from his swan neck flask experiment? cause i thought since he found that micro-organisms were in the air, this is more evidence that disease is caused by micro-organisms

nik_noodle

HSC
germ theory of disease pretty much just says that most contagious diseases are caused by microrganisms...i doubt we'd hav to go into significant detail on it

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
together pateur and koch contributed to the germ theory- forget spontaneous germ theory

remember koch's postulates and what each guy did

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)