Paths into Australian Medicine - Flowchart (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hi everyone. Over the years I have been getting a number of questions regarding the various paths into Australian Medicine. For your convenience I have drawn up this fancy flowchart which should be EXTREMELY CLEAR to anyone with the intellect to handle medical study. ;)

However, I have realised it is flawed. In my laziness I neglected to put in the pathway for Melbourne and Tasmania, which do not interview. So! Clever people that you are, I know that you'll just skip the "Interview" condition where not applicable.

I have also not included things such as direct application forms, GPA requirements, cutoffs or CV/Interview forms. I am not your mother, and will most certainly not do ALL the work for you. These are things you'll need to research on the individual university websites...that, or wait for me to procrastinate again and write another comprehensive guide on all the undergraduate schools. Until then though, you've got my flowchart and Wilson's stickies.

Good luck!

-R

New guide and flow chart by the AMA: Becoming a doctor and bonded medical school places - a guide for prospective medical students | Australian Medical Association

Last edited by a moderator:

inasero

Reborn
HSC
yep good summary!
the only exception i can think of other than the one you pointed out already is that if you dont get in the undergraduate way you dont necessarily have to wait until GAMSAT comes around, if you apply to transfer to UNSW medicine (but this is very competitive).

Otherwise, all is well!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I left out the "transfer" method because it's the same as undergraduate entry, only with some complicated combination of UAI and GPA, varying between each school. It's definitely not just UNSW though, Bob_J got into Newcastle after two years of BSc (Adv).

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
For Newcastle? The academic criterion for university students is completely seperate from their school performance. A "close to credit average" is required for students with an incomplete Bachelor's level tertiary record. For Bachelor's degree holders, the requirement is "better than pass average".

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
yep, well that's what they say

most uni students i know got D avg or better though so don't be fooled and go for top marks when applying

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Ah but Newcastle don't actually include the academic performance in the final selection criteria, it's just a matter of getting at least this much is required for eligibility?

By my understanding it is the interview rank which determines the selection schedule (candidates with the same interview performance are subranked by UMAT). There is no mention of the way in which GPA, WAM or any other academic measure is used.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
its suppose to be JCU interview.. JCU being james cook university in townsville, QLD

freq707

HSC
ok so...just to clear this up for me-
say hypothetically...
i am in 2nd yr of Bsc...currently on a high credit average, hopefully if all goes to plan should be on D average later this year..or the end ha
and didnt make the UAI cutoff coz i was imature and culdnt focus on my HSC...
can i do the UMAT and try for undergrad entry at newcastle?
pretty much-im in 2nd year of uni, does my uai still count towards my application for undergrad med at newcastle?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
ok so...just to clear this up for me-
say hypothetically...
i am in 2nd yr of Bsc...currently on a high credit average, hopefully if all goes to plan should be on D average later this year..or the end ha
and didnt make the UAI cutoff coz i was imature and culdnt focus on my HSC...
can i do the UMAT and try for undergrad entry at newcastle?
pretty much-im in 2nd year of uni, does my uai still count towards my application for undergrad med at newcastle?
Q answered in your other post and yes you can sit umat and try for entry at the following universities as a non-standard (i.e. a student who has undertaken university studies): UWA, UNSW, Bond, UWS, UNCLE/UNE, JCU. Bond (full-fee), UWS, UNCLE/UNE, JCU will only look at your GPA only as you have undertaken 1 or more years of university studies, all of these uni's except Bond have a Credit or near credit average threshold i.e. once you get above 5 or 5.5, etc they only look at your umat score to determine whether you are successful for an interview/offer for medicine.

Please also see: UMAT - Home

freq707

HSC
oh wow
thats seriously awesome
idealy ill end up at newcastle..as its only an hour from my place, where as uws will take forever! its already a good 2hr 20mins for me to get to UNSW lol

now theres only 2 things left to do,
keep my gpa where it is, or even better-get it higher (i wuld love to be on a D average :) )
actually somehow manage to ace the umat...with no money for prep course...not sure what do to there :(

freq707

HSC
i had a look there, thanks :)

cannot emphasise how much im stressing about umat right now..just found out and have never looked at or considered it before today...
got some F2F stuff from...a friend...legally...to look at
weird questions! haha
section 1 i already know my flaw - i am to quick to make assumptions
section 2 - seems some answer are easy to eliminate...just have to pick the one that is actually expressed in the extract
section 3 - the patterns in each form of question given seem to be ok to pick up on

but---reading some problems ppl had with some sample questions they had...the hardest ones were like riddles that you had to work out....reeeally hard like ones haha
3months-ish to prepare....i just pray that its enough time

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
it definitely is enuff time if u start now. i did most of the work in the april holidays and in the 2 months leading up since i hadnt felt the pressure till then. the earlier u prepare, the better. so start now if u can. just remember, this is the first hurdle, if u stuff it up, ur high GPA counts for nothing and you wont even get a shot at the spectacular-interview-to-be.

<------------REP ME!!!

freq707

HSC
yer very true...
hence why i need to ace this first time round sooo to anyone that reads this, any material you have that could help me-i will publicly declare my love for you if you can send it my way hahaha

otherwise it's gamsat next year and im nooooot keen on the idea of that lol

desh15

HSC
i was wondering if it's possible to get into Med if you do Bio-med. someone pls tell me. well i know i not goona be one of those ppl you'll get into med straight away but i want to get there some how.

nottellingu

HSC
i was wondering if it's possible to get into Med if you do Bio-med. someone pls tell me. well i know i not goona be one of those ppl you'll get into med straight away but i want to get there some how.
Why do you think you wont get in straight away?
You only need 93 ATAR + a decent UMAT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)