Payment help! (1 Viewer)

idunnoman

HSC
hi, my current Liability Status is "Deferred Pay Option Post 05" and the deferred amount is 3,556.00.
i was wondering why this is like this, and how do i get the 20% discount?

my fee details are

Fee DetailsItem DescriptionCharge($)GST($)Sub Total($)Payment($)AmtDue($)Student Contribution Chge-Post3,556.000.003,556.000.003,556.00Student Contribution Deferral-3,556.000.00-3,556.000.00-3,556.00Fee Total0.000.000.000.000.00

thankyou for any help!!!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
If you defer, you do NOT get any discount (your current option). You have to go to payment options and pay upfront to get the 20% discount.

idunnoman

HSC
and how do i pay upfront? where is the option for that

thx for any help!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I think you have to update your details on my.unsw by going to "Commonwealth Govt. Forms" under Financial. Just play around and see what you can find.

idunnoman

HSC
yea i have changed my status to Upfront 80% Pay Option Post 05 on the Commonwealth Govt. Forms but on the Fee Statement and Payment Options page, it still says Deferred Pay Option Post 05.

what is happening!?!?!

karen88

Radioactive Queen
HSC
yes its meant to say that!!!... when it comes to the time u pay ur fees... u pay $500 or more to get ur discount... let me remind everyone that the discount is actually on the amount u pay...

haru

HSC
karen88 said:
yes its meant to say that!!!... when it comes to the time u pay ur fees... u pay $500 or more to get ur discount... let me remind everyone that the discount is actually on the amount u pay...
so are you saying that we print up the payment slip(eg: Post Billpay) even though the amount due says $0, hand the slip to the post office and pay the $500?

karen88

Radioactive Queen
HSC
not sure bout post bill pay... cos i pay online... but when the school fees comes out with ur subjects are stuff... i pay an extra 500 on top of that amount which goes towards my partial payment on hecs debt in order to get discount

xxPanDa

HSC
karen88 said:
?? when is it the time to pay ur fees??
what do u mean by "let me remind everyone that the discount is actually on the amount u pay."

karen88 said:
not sure bout post bill pay... cos i pay online... but when the school fees comes out with ur subjects are stuff... i pay an extra 500 on top of that amount which goes towards my partial payment on hecs debt in order to get discount
are the school feels out with ur "subjects and stuff"?
when u say u pay an EXTRA 500 on top of partial payment on hecs debt
does that mean u have to already have another partial payment amount in order to get discount??

karen88

Radioactive Queen
HSC
no... last year there were the school org fees which they dun have this year cos of the new VSU legislations... so this year i just paid the 500...

when i say "let me remind everyone that the discount is actually on the amount u pay" is like for eg... "Example: Isabelle is enrolled in 4 units of study, all with a census date of 31 March 2005, and is eligible for HECS-HELP assistance. Her total student contribution amount for these 4 units is $3,000. Isabelle makes a partial up-front payment of $500 before the census date. Her payment, including the discount of 20% on her up-front payment is $500 x 1.25 = $625.

Her HECS-HELP debt will now be $3,000 – $625 = $2,375.

The Australian Government will pay this amount ($2,375), plus the amount of the discount ($625 - $500 = $125) to Isabelle’s higher education provider on her behalf. Isabelle will be required to make repayments on the remaining debt when her repayment income is above the minimum threshold for compulsory repayment." this example is taken off the goingtouni.gov.au website... most of it clearly explains how hecs works... and discounts and stuff http://www.goingtouni.gov.au/Main/F...rPlaceAndHECS-HELP/PaymentOptionsHECSHELP.htm

Last edited:

xxPanDa

HSC
karen88 said:
no... last year there were the school org fees which they dun have this year cos of the new VSU legislations... so this year i just paid the 500...

when i say "let me remind everyone that the discount is actually on the amount u pay" is like for eg... "Example: Isabelle is enrolled in 4 units of study, all with a census date of 31 March 2005, and is eligible for HECS-HELP assistance. Her total student contribution amount for these 4 units is $3,000. Isabelle makes a partial up-front payment of $500 before the census date. Her payment, including the discount of 20% on her up-front payment is $500 x 1.25 = $625.

Her HECS-HELP debt will now be $3,000 – $625 = $2,375.

The Australian Government will pay this amount ($2,375), plus the amount of the discount ($625 - $500 = $125) to Isabelle’s higher education provider on her behalf. Isabelle will be required to make repayments on the remaining debt when her repayment income is above the minimum threshold for compulsory repayment." this example is taken off the goingtouni.gov.au website... most of it clearly explains how hecs works... and discounts and stuff http://www.goingtouni.gov.au/Main/FeesLoansAndScholarships/Undergraduate/CommonwealthSupportForYourPlaceAndHECS-HELP/PaymentOptionsHECSHELP.htm

i was wondering where did the 1.25 x 500 come from
but anyway.. so does this mean, the more u pay upfront the more discount u get?

karen88

Radioactive Queen
HSC
they say 20% but they do it by 1.25... i have no idea why...

yes it means the more u pay upfront the more discount u get

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
$625 * 0.8 (20% discount) = $500 (amount payed)

instead of:
$600 = $500 (amount payed) * 1.2 (20% "extra")

works in your favor i guess

anyways, can someone clear some things up for me.

the student contribution is the amount of money that the student has to pay for their uni course which isnt covered by the government, and that entire sum of money can be defered and payed with extra tax once we have an income, right? so besides travel, textbooks, food etc there wont be any other payments required from the uni?

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
DeathB4Life said:
anyways, can someone clear some things up for me.

the student contribution is the amount of money that the student has to pay for their uni course which isnt covered by the government, and that entire sum of money can be defered and payed with extra tax once we have an income, right?
Yes, thats the way I understand it. When you're earning over the threshold income, you have to start make compulsory payments towards your HECS-HELP debt. You can choose to make additional payments on top of these compulsory ones - I think you get a 10% discount on the amount extra that you paid.

DeathB4Life said:
so besides travel, textbooks, food etc there wont be any other payments required from the uni?
Won't there be a fee for joining arc in session 2? of course, with VSU this is not compulsory....

xxPanDa

HSC
karen88 said:
they say 20% but they do it by 1.25... i have no idea why...

yes it means the more u pay upfront the more discount u get
i still dont get the maths in the discount thing...
if the more u pay the more discount... whats the max discount u can get?
100% discount? lol

gman03

HSC
xxPanDa said:
i still dont get the maths in the discount thing...
if the more u pay the more discount... whats the max discount u can get?
100% discount? lol
The max discount you can get is limited by the number of subjects you are enrolled and hence deferred.

Like DeathB4Life said, if you are paying up-front, you do not have to pay 20% of the total fee.

If you pay partial upfront, say 100, you are effectively paying $100 * 1/0.8 = $100 * 1.25 = $125.

DeathB4Life said:
the student contribution is the amount of money that the student has to pay for their uni course which isnt covered by the government, and that entire sum of money can be defered and payed with extra tax once we have an income, right? so besides travel, textbooks, food etc there wont be any other payments required from the uni?
yes

xxPanDa

HSC
i think this is it:
Total: 0.50000 0.50000
$3,557.00 HECS-HELP
Charge Amount$3,557.00
Discount$125.00
Paid Upfront$500.00
TOTAL HECS-HELP
Debt$2,932.00
it means i now have a discount?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)