• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

People doing law for the $$$/career prospects (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

melsc said:
I remember one year the in the mock trial final the teams got to wear the robes :mad: I was very jealous
Really? That's very unusual... Was it held in a real court, that could be why?

X

xeuyrawp

melsc said:
Nahh it was in the Westly Centre or something...

We had a few mock trials in the local court...it made it much more interesting
I've never done any mock trials or mooting, although I've watched both a lot. I've done heaps of debating and public speaking, which is, I guess, a similar thing.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Oh you should...I would if I could...

I learnt so much...especially how to think on my feet and how to be assertive...especially when the judge doesnt believe you that it was Failure to Compy with the rule in Browne and Dunn

I had a ball too...but was upset to find out you cant prance around the court room like on L&O

santaslayer

HSC
melsc said:
Exactly...I hope I dont miss out :( Its all in the fun...I love the "theatrics" of the court room...and I really want the robes...Do you get to wear them for moots?
I can tell you've been watching too much TV. :p

santaslayer

HSC
melsc said:
LOL I do watch too many legal shows...but its just not the same if ur a barrister and you dont wear robes...its just wrong!
Is it 'prestigous', 'powerful' and 'cool' to wear those robes?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
So many people want to do law, seriously... how hard is it to start up a private university that does nothing but teach law? If i was some evil barrister out for the money i'd be considering it.

is a roflcopter
HSC
have you been to court melsc? its totally fucken boring

X

xeuyrawp

Newbie said:
It's really not that more boring than watching anyone elses' job. You see cop shows where police get in firefights / interrogation, and it's nothing like that. The same for every profession.

X

xeuyrawp

Asquithian said:
you obviously went to the boring ones (in Crim)...

One of the murder ones we went to had a full complement of barristers going at it...a jury and everything!

Plus a accused murderer who kept wanting to talk to us while we sat on watched.

At least the judge said that unsw was a 'fine law school'

http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/sc\sc.nsf/pages/buddin_300102

Its probably because he thought at new south for years :p
If it was meant to be interesting, the court system would be even less effective than it is now...

is a roflcopter
HSC
i went to the compulsory local court sittings where everyone will start off :)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Newbie said:
I have been for work experience, legal studies excurison and for assessments
Personally I think it depends on the case...I find family law cases boring except when I saw this lady try and read an essay she had written about what justice was (contested divorce and she was representing herself) Criminal ones are always interesting and it is not always the facts of the case...I saw the DPP have a hissy fit bcoz his evidence (which was a video tape would play)

For me its interesting but maybe I am a freak :D

Mock Trial cases were the funniest bcoz the law society tried to make them funny like Lymp V Bisket...a larceny case over a $5 wiggles casette...our witnesses used to make it funny as well especially in cross:
Barrister: So you served him light beer?
Witness: Yea
Barrister" Fosters?
Witness: Yes
Barrister: well fosters dont make light beer
Witness: Well I give him full strength and tell him it is light

Last edited:

azn_spirit

...messed up...
HSC
bustinjustin said:
Yeah
these people piss me off
at this time of the year in yr12 there's all these randoms who suddenly want to do law just for the money/prestige
often they're the science-types who do 4u maths and only 2u of english (and hence won't necessarily appreciate law)
but they'll get kickarse uai's and get into law easily
Yeah
Man I think the type of person you're talkin about is like me there :p 4u maths and 2u english + 2 sciences and yes i didn't really appreciate law at the start but doest it really matter??? I'm doing Med Sci Law atm and it appealed to me that I can have a background in Law doing Medical Science.

It doesn't make a difference whether people appreciate Law at the start, Law for most ppl is appreciated as time goes on by as they learn new stuff, usually if they don't then they won't do good at all. I know i didn't at the start, it was only the med science which appealed to me.

Doesn't matter if they get the UAI for law and know nothing about Law, UAI is about how one is willing to study and learn, such as a 99.25 opposed to somebody below that, doesn't matter what they studied or learnt.

Just becoz you learnt Legal Studies 4u english and aced it in the HSC doesn't mean you will make a better law student then people that did 4u maths and 2u english, stuff learnt in HSC mean nothing in uni and i can tell you that knowing good english won't mean much, instead its rather learnt and developed over time doing countless essays and stuff. Btw theres a small number of ESL student doing Law at UTS and they've been going quite good.

Still good career prospects and $$$??? that is such a joke man...its hard to make lotz in Law, you have to be good and somehow stand out and thats hell difficult in law. I reckon that Law is more of a prestige thing and I doubt many people would want to go through those 5 awful years (assuming they don't appreciate law) just for the prestige.

Its a joke man...if I got 99.25 and did 4u maths and 2u english...chances is I'll do Optometry or Pharmacy or dentistry or even medicine instead of going for law :p that earns more money.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
santaslayer said:
Why do people like to use size 0.00000000000000001 font?

Why Frigid?

My eyes hurt.
there's always "ctrl +" shortcut in Firefox :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)