People who continue to write after time's up. (3 Viewers)

BackCountrySnow

HSC
pLuvia said:
I'm not sure what happens in the HSC because none of my fellow students did that, but in uni if you do that, you automatically get zero no questions asked
Even if you're just taking 5 secs to finish the sentence??

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
if they see you writing after time they'll give you a death stare + pens DOWN!, if you continue writing they'll give you 0.

i can think of a few terrible teachers who wouldn't do anything, though.

leoyh

mic`
HSC
really depends on the teachers i suppose. if the teacher likes you, who knows, you might get lucky.

but at my school everyones pretty good with the Pens Down, they actually do it. teachers do give the ocassional "5 minutes left" kinda thing too. sometimes the teachers are nice in that they go, you can write, but only your name on the booklets (but that only ever happened once).

Conspiración

HSC
N/A
If you agree that 2 or 3 minutes is not going to give them that competitive edge or unfair advantage - whichever way you want to put it - then stop complaining. Just deal with it.

EDIT: People also take days and days off school, act sick, get a dr's cert and submit their assessments at a later date. I think that is a greater advantage. Certainly a lot more concerning than 30sec after the end of an exam.

m&ss2008

HSC
Conspiración said:
If you agree that 2 or 3 minutes is not going to give them that competitive edge or unfair advantage - whichever way you want to put it - then stop complaining. Just deal with it.
I would kill for an extra 2 or 3 minutes in the English paper or 4U Maths. Every little bit helps, but I must say, teachers at our school are pretty good. we don't write after time is up except for names on each page

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Conspiración said:

EDIT: People also take days and days off school, act sick, get a dr's cert and submit their assessments at a later date. I think that is a greater advantage. Certainly a lot more concerning than 30sec after the end of an exam.
I'm saying it's not a huge advantage. But un unfair advantage nevertheless.
And am I complaining?

I stated that there are students who write after time is up.
I asked what schools are doing about this...
I stated mine did nothing.
And I even concluded that I don't really mind that people do it.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Our major exams all had external supervisors and so if they said "times up pens down" people did because although they were nice, these were important exams and people didn't want to risk loosing marks/failing. That being said I noticed in my exam time when "times up" called usually people will finish their sentence and put their pens down so another 10-20 seconds.

I mean for people to be really scared and to adhere to the rules then the supervisors really do need to be strike as in your pen isn't down and you keep writing you lose marks instantly (rather then failing them because I doubt the school would want that to happen in half yearlies/trials). That way people are almost scared into line.

I think when it's getting into 2 or 3 minutes to finish whatever off - that's a bit to much. No matter how much/little they are writing or doing especially if it is because they are one of the last papers to get collected.

Raven3333

Jerk
HSC
Don't do it, HSC english trials a girl in my school kept writing about 30 seconds after pens down was called and the head english teacher took her exam and put it in a paper shredar in front of everyone as an exampe. The girl was was allowed to do the exam again straight after with 45minute time penalty. I think that was fair and i think it is bullshit people write after time is up,

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Raven3333 said:
Don't do it, HSC english trials a girl in my school kept writing about 30 seconds after pens down was called and the head english teacher took her exam and put it in a paper shredar in front of everyone as an exampe. The girl was was allowed to do the exam again straight after with 45minute time penalty. I think that was fair and i think it is bullshit people write after time is up,
haha that doesn''t sound that bad..
you could just remember the answers you wrote and slightly improve on them..
maybe the girl was just ultra fucking smart and anticipated it all :p
:rofl:

Raven3333

Jerk
HSC
45 minute penalty on a 2 hour exam is a killer espacially after you spent the last 2 hours writing.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Raven3333 said:
45 minute penalty on a 2 hour exam is a killer espacially after you spent the last 2 hours writing.
i thought they went for 3 hours..
did she have to take the exam right after it got torn up??

Raven3333

Jerk
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
Negative, for our english trials we had 2, 2h exams so we could mimick the HSC and yes she had to take it immediatly after and she got *from memory* 28/50 and this was a solid band 6 student.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
Nope, English is always 2 hours with either 5 or 10mins reading time depending if it's paper 1 or 2.

So cutting out 45mins is basically a whole section so by them doing that she would probably look to loose 20marks straight away but then again that's better then an instant fail.

Last edited:

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Raven3333 said:
Negative, for our english trials we had 2, 2h exams so we could mimick the HSC and yes she had to take it immediatly after and she got *from memory* 28/50 and this was a solid band 6 student.
haha well that's a damn good recovery if she got a band 6.

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
Another thing is when im doing an exam paper and midway i glance off my paper and i see people just sitting there with their arms crossed, which makes me question if im missing something that is easy or what. Maybe they just didnt try.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
gloworm14 said:
Another thing is when im doing an exam paper and midway i glance off my paper and i see people just sitting there with their arms crossed, which makes me question if im missing something that is easy or what. Maybe they just didnt try.
the people that do that at my school are the grade dropkicks, no worrying if you're missing anything there..

cal-

Banned
HSC
i've never ran out of time in an exam in my life woo go me

HSC
lol for an english assessment once, my teacher started writing the amount of seconds left on the board.

anyway, our school doesn't penalise it either, which is kind of unfair.

i usually have a while left... if there's multiple choice, i work out the answers in the reading time so i can circle the answers quickly and have more time for essays.

i'm a really fast writer, too, so i always seem to sit around for ages wondering if i've written enough because no one else is finished... ie i finished section one in my exam today in like 20 mins when the time allowed was 45 minutes. and i wrote detailed answers too, one of them ended up being a page over the lines they'd given... but they were pre-written/memorised answers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)