People's take on part time (1 Viewer)

hannahxxx

HSC
I'm going for a job interview Thursday at Starbucks and the ad said it was a part time position. I'm just wondering: what is everyone's take on how many hours this entails. The thing is that the definitions for part time and casual work are becoming so incredibly blurred e.g. I've seen job ads where it says "Casual position:34 hours p/w" and other ads where it says "part time position:12 hours p/w". I was wondering what people's perceptions were of the hours involved in part time work in comparison to casual

tennille

HSC
I think every company is different. At Big W, no one can work more than 38 hours per week (this is increased to 48 hours during Christmas).

Casual:
Pay is usually higher due to 20% casual loading
No sick pay/annual leave, etc
You're not guaranteed shifts or anything

Part-time
Pay is lower- ie. no casual loading
Sick pay/annual leave, etc
Gauranteed hours

At Big W, the minimum amount of hours p/w that you can work as a part time is 9 hours. As a casual, they don't have to roster you on every week, but they have to give you at least one three hour shift every three weeks.

HSC
N/A
Well, the difference isn't so much number of hours.

Personally I'd say unless you need the security and benefits, and guaranteed shifts, go for casual. Just cos of the loading. :)

hannahxxx

HSC
yeah casual would be ideal for me. Problem is that the position was explicity part time...I'm thinking that maybe I should just get the job..wait for a couple of weeks then decrease my hours. The pay wouldn't be as good but at least I'd be working somewhere decent

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
The amount of hours in part-time & casual can be the similar, they differ from full-time as such you don't work for the whole or most days of the week.

Casual can give you more money, but then again a sane shift manager would choose a part-time worker over casual when they're available. This is for obvious reason that they're trying to save money.

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
But as students, you're never going to accrue enough to make it significant.

Personally, I'd prefer the money in my pocket.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)