Perfect related text - COMMUNITY (TV Series) (1 Viewer)

JokerCandy

HSC
Just a wider question to everyone, what am I looking for when analyzing TV show techniques? Are they much different to movie or literary techniques? I've done a little googling to not much avail.

CommunityFan

HSC
Infact it's not much of a difference. Depends on what you focus on and depend of the film/TV show style

character development will usually be the same but movie is simpler to summarize and concise whereas TV series does require more effort. Literary techniques as well as visual techniques wouldn't be too different for standard films or TV series. Otherwise TV series do focus more on a particular style such as the narrative documentry, real time cameras of Modern Family or The Office or the usual studio sitcom font like Big Bang Theory or Seinfield. Otherwise though with Community, it's similar to standard movie series... much like drama series on TV although "Community" significantly experimented different styles of Genres and referenced almost every western Pop Culture media which makes it very relevant in demonstration of variety of techniques and portrayal

What you must look on TV series, you must look, Character identity and their development over time, Setting and its significance, Visual Camera Techniques, Narrative implications and how it relates to everything I just said before, References either indirectly through ideas or directly (meta/4th wall "Community Style") with books, Films, TV shows and as well as the Format of style it is portrayed and how it conveys the message and ideas through their presentation style ;) hope this helps

Miaowable

HSC
Wow, thankyou so much for putting this together. I love this show and am really glad that I have a chance to do something I love for school. I hope your HSC went well, can I ask how effectively do you think this show presents its ideas about belonging?

CommunityFan

HSC
how effective? it's friggin effective!!!! It has so much content and it fits with every single syllabus dot quite blatantly xD the whole idea of study group with different backgrounds and life experiences creates many sense of family and sense of unity in diversity with a theme of community college in attempts to improve their life (belonging in time) to be a better individuals, they go through many adversities and experiences and sturggles together, especially in saving school from closure and invasion and destruction. Meta references for other pop culture media and how it reflects many aspects of belonging its all there!!!!

CommunityFan

HSC
http://8th-circuit.com/content/community-recap-season-2-episode-5

Community: Episode 5, Season 2

MESSIANIC MYTHS AND ANCIENT PEOPLES

The episode opens in Anthropology class, lead by Duncan, who has embraced the method of teaching the class through Youtube videos. This inspires Shirley to make her own viral video, in hopes of inspiring people with Christian awe and to consequently attend church. She naturally turns to the film student of the group for help, but Abed is above making religious "cinema." When he further contemplates the idea, however, he finds a way to tell the story of Christ in an artistic and “meta” way. Shirley shoots down the idea and Abed sets out to make the film himself.

In the background, Pierce carries a subplot about teenaged rebellion - except, of course, he's not a teenager. Instead, he acts out against his parents' (Britta and Jeff) wishes by hanging out with the bad influences of Leonard and his fellow geriatrics (known as the “hipsters” because of their hip replacements), who use their old age (citing memory problems or physical pains) to get away with gambling, stealing, and drinking on school grounds. This was a fantastic subplot, because old people being irreverent about societal mores is funny, and I enjoyed that Jeff was somewhat tricked into acting like the group's dad.

Back in the main plot, Abed has amassed a huge following through the hype surrounding his film. Not only was I tickled by the outfit Abed wears (reminiscent of those Fabio covers of trashy romances), but also by the reverent followers he develops. While Abed turns his charm on full blast, Shirley struggles with her own film - quickly abandoned by the unenthusiastic Troy and Britta - and the religious message in Abed's film. I really enjoyed Shirley's character in this episode. Instead her usual high voiced kindness or the occasional passive-aggressiveness, she is comfortable in her resentment of Abed's efforts. I look forward to seeing more character development with Shirley in the future episodes, as I feel the complexity of her true personality has yet to be explored.

Eventually, the tension between Abed and Shirley develops into a story similar to that of Jesus, with Abed being the revered 'film genius' and Shirley being the evil nay-sayer with the power to shut down Abed's production. Of course, this isn't a simple conflict, and ultimately the two take hits to their public image (through thevillainy of Shirley breaking Abed's set and Abed breaking the internet) as they forgive each other. The end credits scene involved Troy, Abed and Annie all mimicking Jeff's dress and speech, which I truthfully didn't find as funny as the episode itself.
*spoilers, highlight to read

As I indicated earlier, fans of Abed and his charm will love this episode, and it's still quite an enjoyable ride for anyone who likes the show or a good laugh. In the bigger picture, the episode offers interesting progression of character development, with both Shirley and Pierce hinting at deeper personalities and identity issues. What else can I say? Go watch it.
here are some clips and Images:

Hipsters xD

In short: BIGGEST BIBLICAL ALLUSION EVER IN SITCOM HISTORY happy analyzing!!

Last edited:

grk2meet

HSC
N/A
Hey man thanks for this. I did my speech on this and I have an inclass essay tomorrow. I'll be using community for my hsc

Seriously bro thanks a lot.

CommunityFan

HSC
Senor Chang? Student Chang? or Security officer Chang?

he will always be Ben Chang :D and he clearly stands out in his own identity xD and all he seeks is acceptance in life which is a great challenge for him

so much oxymoron and irony and reverse psychology

old video but explains a lot still

hippiemansam

HSC
Without a doubt the best related ever.

It works on so many levels and is just a pleasure to watch. SOOOO easy to remember scenes/quotes.

Mdzabakly

HSC
15/15 on my eng speech with community and district 9 as related texts :D

CommunityFan

HSC
YAYY FOR THE GOOD NEWS!!!

I am still available for Community Lovers here to help assist you guys with related texts, If I am superbored I will post more Belonging concepts in relations to "Community"

Community Season 4 returns on 7th February 8/7 C on NBC ;) and here's a holiday season sneak peek on the show ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u5PMHt21Zw

CommunityFan

HSC
BELONGING TO AN INSTITUTION

This is a bit tricky in terms of it's relation to Greendale Community College since it's not exactly portrayed as a powerful institution but it is very noteworthy due to its significant impact in people's life that has been changed since they came here

By Choice

The classic example of this would be Troy, Britta, Shirley Abed, Pierce and to some extent Jeff, Troy simply choose to Greendale for his convenience as his place is within proximity to the college, Pierce on the other hand is looking out to keep an active mind and become very up to date with his presence, although the specific reason why he chose Greendale is unknown, it is plausible that he may also choose it for its convenience too. Jeff to a lesser extent could be considered a choice, as he intially stated in the pilot, he wants to have an easy path, he chose Greendale for it's low reputation and possibly quality ;) but otherwise he was in some sense forced otherwise. Britta simply chose Greendale solely on gaining educational awareness, no apparent other initial reason as to why she chose Greendale specifically, similarly with Abed and Shirley, although Shirley's purpose was to gain understanding of business path to allow her to pursue her own entrepreunial goals. Otherwise apart from these factors, by choice, all these characters in Community belong to a community college for one purpose as "Duncan" quoted "Second chance" to allow an individual and later a collective group personal growth across all aspects as explored throughout the series

For Power

There isn't a specific reason as to the character's belonging to Greendale would increase their power status due to it's floored reputation (at least in the beginning of the series). However, a different approach of power does come from one's "Awareness" and "Knowledge". Ultimately, attending Community College increases qualification of someone, as well as that, it increases one's awareness and knowledge on what they are mastering which is equal to power ;) as they are able to be more in control of their life as reflected also by both personal and group development overtime. The Idea of power is also narrowed down to Dean's involvement in the school, he actively improve the school using his weird incentives ;) as he is the power of the institution (rather a weak one we must say) despite joining the institution for reason to improve the lives of other, it is ultimately landed him in power and this is very evident in episode 3.08 (Documentry:Redux) although for Chang in season 3, his rise of Power within Greendale very significant in changing the course and development for the group and the school, acting out as a revenge for the study group and his sufferings, but also for his essential reason we will explore further

By Need

The necessity of joining Greendale Community College is reflected in Jeff's necessity to regained his qualifications for his career to resume, for Pierce it is for him to keep active and up to date as I mentioned last time, Shirley, Annie, Abed, Britta and Troy ultimately need them for the qualifications to pursue their own path in life ;) Chang on the other hand joined Greendale because he initially need an employment before overturned by the debunk of his qualifications in season 1, hence Chang then need Greendale for pursuing education and sense of "belonging" explicitly towards the study group, whilst third season, it has become apparent that Chang's necessity for survival has driven him to power towards the end of season 3, his job and place of living in the school has officially been incorporated basically entirely of his life at that point in time

By Force

Annie was one of the unique case that is quite forced to join Greendale, she cannot obtain scholarship due to her nervous breakdown in high school due to her drug influence, she is forced to choose Greendale as a path for her to gain higher education, In some sense Initially Troy was seen as forced to go to Greendale College as he lost a football scolarship, however it is revealed that he was afraid of his uncertainties about football, instead he chose a different path. Chang, by some circumstance, was forced to choose Greendale to work at initially due to the loose system of employment based on a comical judgement grounds of "Racism" acusations

Protection

I am personally struggling to find the idea of protection in belonging to Greendale Community College, based on past experiences, the school has been through many invasions and actual civil wars, although if the idea of protection is streched into means of "facilitating" then it has a well done job in accomodating it's students as a place for the group to grow, nurtured by the beloved Dean and have manage to continually survive against all odds :p

Pride

The pride within Greendale is similarly not seen very much in the actual reason people (study group) initially joined the school, however it was testified during the paintball invasion of episode 2.24 (For a Few Paintballs More) in the star wars themed episode in defending Greendale against the City College near complete overtake of the school. The sense of belonging to an institution that arised as a result of marginalised state of the group

Episode 3.08 is a fine example of improving Greendale image in their idea of the school, also neatly wrapped around Dean's psychological breakdowns. Initial reason the study group joining Greendale wasn't based on their Image as well, however the group's existence and Dean's favouritism proved that the group is essemtial in improving the school's reputation and image, as their actions through saving the school and academic achievements has create a crucial change in the perception of the school ;) all these neatly wrapped under the theme of "second chance" ;)

Last edited:

CommunityFan

HSC
BELONGING TO AN INSTITUTION

This is a bit tricky in terms of it's relation to Greendale Community College since it's not exactly portrayed as a powerful institution but it is very noteworthy due to its significant impact in people's life that has been changed since they came here

By Choice

The classic example of this would be Troy, Britta, Shirley Abed, Pierce and to some extent Jeff, Troy simply choose to Greendale for his convenience as his place is within proximity to the college, Pierce on the other hand is looking out to keep an active mind and become very up to date with his presence, although the specific reason why he chose Greendale is unknown, it is plausible that he may also choose it for its convenience too. Jeff to a lesser extent could be considered a choice, as he intially stated in the pilot, he wants to have an easy path, he chose Greendale for it's low reputation and possibly quality ;) but otherwise he was in some sense forced otherwise. Britta simply chose Greendale solely on gaining educational awareness, no apparent other initial reason as to why she chose Greendale specifically, similarly with Abed and Shirley, although Shirley's purpose was to gain understanding of business path to allow her to pursue her own entrepreunial goals. Otherwise apart from these factors, by choice, all these characters in Community belong to a community college for one purpose as "Duncan" quoted "Second chance" to allow an individual and later a collective group personal growth across all aspects as explored throughout the series

For Power

There isn't a specific reason as to the character's belonging to Greendale would increase their power status due to it's floored reputation (at least in the beginning of the series). However, a different approach of power does come from one's "Awareness" and "Knowledge". Ultimately, attending Community College increases qualification of someone, as well as that, it increases one's awareness and knowledge on what they are mastering which is equal to power ;) as they are able to be more in control of their life as reflected also by both personal and group development overtime. The Idea of power is also narrowed down to Dean's involvement in the school, he actively improve the school using his weird incentives ;) as he is the power of the institution (rather a weak one we must say) despite joining the institution for reason to improve the lives of other, it is ultimately landed him in power and this is very evident in episode 3.08 (Documentry:Redux) although for Chang in season 3, his rise of Power within Greendale very significant in changing the course and development for the group and the school, acting out as a revenge for the study group and his sufferings, but also for his essential reason we will explore further
By Need

The necessity of joining Greendale Community College is reflected in Jeff's necessity to regained his qualifications for his career to resume, for Pierce it is for him to keep active and up to date as I mentioned last time, Shirley, Annie, Abed, Britta and Troy ultimately need them for the qualifications to pursue their own path in life ;) Chang on the other hand joined Greendale because he initially need an employment before overturned by the debunk of his qualifications in season 1, hence Chang then need Greendale for pursuing education and sense of "belonging" explicitly towards the study group, whilst third season, it has become apparent that Chang's necessity for survival has driven him to power towards the end of season 3, his job and place of living in the school has officially been incorporated basically entirely of his life at that point in time

By Force

Annie was one of the unique case that is quite forced to join Greendale, she cannot obtain scholarship due to her nervous breakdown in high school due to her drug influence, she is forced to choose Greendale as a path for her to gain higher education, In some sense Initially Troy was seen as forced to go to Greendale College as he lost a football scolarship, however it is revealed that he was afraid of his uncertainties about football, instead he chose a different path. Chang, by some circumstance, was forced to choose Greendale to work at initially as he doesn't have many life skills and he is taking Greendale an advantage due to the loose system of employment based on a comical judgement grounds of "Racism" acusations

Protection

I am personally struggling to find the idea of protection in belonging to Greendale Community College, based on past experiences, the school has been through many invasions and actual civil wars, although if the idea of protection is streched into means of "facilitating" then it has a well done job in accomodating it's students as a place for the group to grow, nurtured by the beloved Dean and have manage to continually survive against all odds :p

Pride

The pride within Greendale is similarly not seen very much in the actual reason people (study group) initially joined the school, however it was testified during the paintball invasion of episode 2.24 (For a Few Paintballs More) in the star wars themed episode in defending Greendale against the City College near complete overtake of the school. The sense of belonging to an institution that arised as a result of marginalised state of the group

Episode 3.08 is a fine example of improving Greendale image in their idea of the school, also neatly wrapped around Dean's psychological breakdowns. Initial reason the study group joining Greendale wasn't based on their Image as well, however the group's existence and Dean's favouritism proved that the group is essemtial in improving the school's reputation and image, as their actions through saving the school and academic achievements has create a crucial change in the perception of the school ;) all these neatly wrapped under the theme of "second chance" ;)

Last edited:

PakZilla

HSC
wow thanks thxs for all this materiel uve defs changed my mind .. im now going to use this as a related for my belonging , to bad season 4 got delayed but its now just few weeks wait :jump:

CommunityFan

HSC
Chevy Chase Quits Community after 4th Season!

here is the link

Chevy Chase Is Leaving 'Community' In The Middle Of Season 4 Of The NBC Comedy

Posted: 11/21/2012 5:24 pm EST Updated: 11/21/2012 6:27 pm EST

After all that, Chevy Chase is leaving "Community," Sony TV has confirmed.

Chase's departure from the show's fourth season is effective immediately, according to Deadline. The majority of "Community's" long-awaited Season 4 has already been filmed, but Chase will not appear in the few episodes that haven't yet shot, Deadline reports.

There is no word yet on whether or not Chase's departure will be written into the remaining episodes of "Community" Season 4, which was only scheduled to be a 13-episode season. But we do know that "Community" was shooting its last several episodes of this fourth season out of order. Having already shot what will be the Season 4 finale, we wonder if they'll be able to go back now and write Pierce's departure into the episode.

Chase, who's played Pierce Hawthorne on "Community" for three seasons and most of the fourth, has had a very tumultuous relationship with the show, so this news comes as no surprise.

Back in March, Chase told us at HuffPost TV that he had "creative issues with this show. I always have," before comparing elements of the show to "being relegated to hell and watching 'Howdy Doody' for the rest of your life." He then added: "I can't stand sitcoms," declaring "I probably won't be around that much longer, frankly."

Chase hasn't been shy about hinting that he might be leaving "Community" and has made his issues with the show abundantly clear, including that he doesn't think it's funny.

In a September interview, Chase told HuffPost UK, "I just sort of hung around because I have three daughters and a wife, and I figured out I might as well make some bread, every week, so I can take care of them in the way they want ... The hours are hideous, and it’s still a sitcom on television, which is probably the lowest form of television.”

The actor made headlines thanks to his long-standing public feud with "Community's" creator and former showrunner Dan Harmon (and an accompanying leaked, profanity-laden voicemail that Chase left for Harmon).

Just a month ago, Chase also gained media attention for using the N-word on set in response to bigoted Pierce's dialogue that he found offensive. After the story broke, HuffPost TV created a list of reasons "Community" would be better off without Chase.

CommunityFan

HSC
George Costanza and Pierce Hawthorne?

From this link: Here

In more casting news concerning a Seinfeld alum, Jason Alexander has let slip that he's filming a guest role on an upcoming episode of Community—presumably one of the remaining episodes left to be filmed after Chevy Chase bowed out. Alexander would say only that it's a "crazy episode" and "a fun one," thus differentiating it from the sobering slog that is most Community episodes, which rival Lars von Trier in their bleak depiction of human despair. It's also possible that Alexander will be part of the crew's quickly concocted workaround for dealing with Chase's absence, perhaps by having any on-screen question of where Pierce is answered by Jason Alexander popping up and going, "Hey, look at me! I'm Jason Alexander! I played George on Seinfeld! I was in the pool! Lupus? Is it Lupus?" and that will just sort of take care of it. [via TV Guide]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)