Perfectionist? (1 Viewer)

monique66

Okay, i'm having major problems. Firstly, i hate everything that i haver written. What concerns me is that while redoing the scenes (i'm doing a screenplay) is that i tend to obsess over a particular scene until its reasonable. What i'm worried about is the fact that i'm being too picky and often it looks like i'm not doing any work because i'm obsessing over what i have already done. It's a weird hang up, i need to progress and at the same time i want it to be as good as possible. What should i do, continue being a raving lunatic that obsesses over small details or keep rewriting my other scenes? :confused: Anyone else having the same problem?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Exact same problem....I think all these little things need to be perfected, corrected and inserted, which may or may not be the case sometimes. My teacher also tells me not to worry about it so much and get the important bits down first then polish to your hearts content. So really it depends how far you have gone in your work and whether the other scenes need work...

monique66

Yeah, my other scenes do need work, moreso then what i am currently working on. But i feel like i can't move on until i'm 100% with the others. What is with this? i feel so trapped :S

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
then have a go at the other's for a little bit and come back to this, you dont want to be stuck on this spot at august's end ;)

monique66

Yeah, i know. Its funny how i know the solution to the problem but still need someone to tell me whats right. Its like dropping biology, i had to hear someone say 'drop it' before i could actually let go...Man, my log book is so full, but my script is so thin. How can this be?

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
damnation said:
Yeah, i know. Its funny how i know the solution to the problem but still need someone to tell me whats right. Its like dropping biology, i had to hear someone say 'drop it' before i could actually let go...Man, my log book is so full, but my script is so thin. How can this be?
hang in there... my log book is also full and well i only have a minimal amount of words....

judging by what i percieve of ur character i say u'll progress drammatically pritty soon... i say give what ur stuck on a few more days... and if then ur just solid stuck.... then start writing the rest of ur script... and come bcak when ur mind is fresh

monique66

I hope so :) This reworking is driving me insane. Everytime i see my MW i want to either cry or rip it to shreds, needless to say it is always the former. Well, at least so far it has been...

phatic

HSC
damnation said:
I hope so :) This reworking is driving me insane. Everytime i see my MW i want to either cry or rip it to shreds, needless to say it is always the former. Well, at least so far it has been...
I know what you mean... I'm sick of writing mine (poems), especially when it takes days to edit a few lines... And then I show my teacher, and there's still more editing to be done... It's extremely frustrating and unmotivating.

Luckily there's no satisfaction in destroying poems (unlike canvases...) so I haven't deleted them all in a frenzy.

And now I don't have any emotions left to write about, so I have to do research for ideas...

*whining* I'm sick of the HSC. :D

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
yeah, to stop a work becoming mundane i feel either your concept or the work itself must evolve. Admittedly, i had recently experienced a real feeling of banality in all my works, but i think if your concept is developing further, it enables your style to continue developing and doesnt leave you composing formulaic works or using worn out subject matter or expression

_blank

HSC
Uni Grad
Lol - I obsessed a bit over my MW too...particular sentences I really loved but then I couldn't work it into the paragraph and ending up having a series of cut and paste sentences which amounted to something that didn't even make sense!

My teacher advised us to simply write as much as possible first - then refine it later. If you're obsessing over a particular section and seriously feel stuck - I think you should step away from it and work on something else...then come back in a wk or two with a fresh view of the work? Gd luck!

monique66

Thanks guys, i had a mental breakdown on Monday and cried for like an hour over my MW. Then i got over it and now i will move on...i'm such a sad case :uhhuh:

physician

HSC
damnation said:
Thanks guys, i had a mental breakdown on Monday and cried for like an hour over my MW. Then i got over it and now i will move on...i'm such a sad case :uhhuh:
lol... relax... at least u got over it....

oh yeh and as Robert Frost says:

"No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader"...

so it's good to let out some tears both physically and in writing

monique66

cool! now, i just have to figure out a way to make my characters cry...j/k

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Omg I deffinetly get what you mean. I have never been this picky in my entire life. Nothing I write seems good enough. Every1 was basically depressed today after EE2 because our teachers said some of the stuff ppl have written would be laughed at my markers :eek:

I talked to my teacher afterwards though and she made me feel better because she said that she thinks i can get 50. She was probably only saying it to motivate me but I'll take it anyway instead of the despair I was feeling :eek:

HSC
N/A
*big hugs to all the 05's*

I remember going through all of this... I used to rework my story from top to bottom, and if I didn't like something (normally halfway down the second page) I was utterly screwed... I remember staring at the screen for hours, freaking out and wondering how the heck I was going to make it work. Naturally, I REFUSED to move on until I was satisfied. Unfortunately, that could take weeks...

I usually only wrote when I was under pressure to. My dear EE2 teacher - Mrs D - figured this out fairly early on. That was when the phone calls - to the home phone!!! - started ;) for example: "If you don't have your full draft done by thursday next week, Bad Things Will Happen!"

My problem was in working myself up so much I couldn't write. If I actually started writing, usually everything turned out ok - but sitting there, and going "omg omg omg this is not working!!!! Why isn't it working? Why can't I think of a way to make it work!" - not good. It was because of this my writing was so sporadic - on good days when I just wrote without thinking too much, it was fine. On bad days when I was stressed and freaking out over the smallest of things, I used to just fall to pieces... nothing got done. If you're like me, just write - don't think! Even if your writing takes you into a completely new direction, let it.

Writing now is especially different. Thanks to the HSC, emotions are probably at an all-time-high and it can be very difficult to suddenly have to break out of the system - sure you have to write from your soul, but you ALSO have to be able to distance yourself somewhat to ensure your major work doesn't become an extended diary entry (or, to avoid many random articles in your journal... mysteriously appearing... by the thousands :p). There's a beautiful quote from Finding Forrester I wrote in my journal: "The first draft comes from your heart, the second comes from your head". And that's the way it should be. :) (for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, be ashamed of yourself, and rent it next weekend!)

Sometimes it can feel as if you're constantly butting your head against a brick wall in terms of where your major work is going - typical story, it started out as a good idea but you're running out of things to write about, or, it just doesn't feel right. Sometimes you just need a change of scene to get new inspiration to write - reading a new book, thinking as you walk home - sometimes it all just hits all of a sudden and it's like "wow! Now I know why it's not working! I'm going to take it into a new direction!". So, maybe you just need to tune out and go absorb yourself in something new like a movie (Finding Forrester, Finding Forrester, Finding Forrester!!!!) or book (far out, we really are geeks if our idea of a good time is a good book... *sigh* lol!).

Be wary of being overly picky - remember, your work as a whole is more important than the syntax of the one sentence (although if you are freaking out, talk to goldendawn... he and syntax/all things proper in the literary world are like *this* close). If you need someone to tell you to stop being paranoid, pm me and I'll add you to my msn list and personally send you "STOP BEING PARANOID" messages until it sinks in ;)

And finally: Don't let the stupid HSC system make you cry! I'll beat it up if it does! (let's not talk about how for now - will figure that out later :p) EE2 is subjective - always has been, always will be. To a certain extent, they either will or won't like your work - with that knowledge in mind, you don't really have to worry about whether it'll be "good" or not. Just write.

I think what's most important about EE2 is that you walk away having learnt something. Even if you look back later and despise your major work (give me two seconds, and I can rip my own major work into 16 pieces. I can't stand to look at it these days, and the only reason it remains on BOS is as an example of what you should NOT do), if you have learnt from the process, then you have gained something. Most people have never really written something on this scale before - now is the time to learn how your own writing process works, how to deal with the obstacles that come up, how to distance yourself from your work whilst still keeping that strong sense of yourself within it.

So long as you write the best work you think you can do, (oh, here we come with the HSC cliches) you've done all you can. You all have the talent and the passion just to get this far - now take this opportunity and use it! I know you can!

Last edited:

monique66

Thanks Lynn, you made my day so much better *hugs* Yay i totally feel inspired to write till dawn today!!!!!! Joy to the world~ Oh yeah, motivation is so the key :p

From now on i resolve not to cry over my MW (unless it is from hapiness in receiving my final mark! :p )

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I vote that one of the mods put a quote of lynn's comment in one of the Getting Started stickys

physician

HSC
thank u so much...

I was glancing at my computer screen for more than an hour.. until i stumbled across ur post 'glitterfairy' and i actually wrote 100 words staright after and now i Just can't stop...

thank u so much...

I would rep u again if i could...

I 3rd Kami's vote

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)