• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Performance driving q (1 Viewer)

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC
Yep yep. i know you dont need to do it with synchro, except its still a bit better to do it anyway?

Every now and then the syncro is stuffing up: clutch is in, and the transmission wont shift into the lower gear from the higher gear (i.e. the syncro isnt pulling it in), so you have to do a quick double clutch to pop it in.

iEdd

HSC
Fair enough, sometimes it can make things smoother on cold days too. It will save wear on both syncros and clutch, but I don't know how much difference it will make in the long run. Hopefully that answers your question.

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
michael1990 said:
Okay from the top.

Riding the clutch is when you have the clutch in when you take off and brake. Remember when braking in a manual you don't need to put the clutch in until you feeling the car shutter.
lol noob
thats the fuckin point of a manual, using the engine. why waste you brakes, when u can brake an down shift at the same time thus stopping faster, less wear on your brakes. an u dont look like a fuckn tool

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
Riet said:
That's not how you double-clutch.
yeah i know. i ment to say, why bother double clutching, when u can just dab the gas

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
I thought you'd only damage the clutch if you accelerated and clutched at the same time. :/

Apart from the obvious wear when dropping it etc.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
michael1990 said:
I wouldn't recommend having a lesson. They teach you how to pass your're Provisional Licence test. Not to look after your car.
They will teach you what you ask to learn. I know my instructor had often taught older drivers to drive a manual, who for whatever reason never learned.

But the poster you were replying to seems to be doing everything ok. Just maybe on hills and this all depends on the slope, you should probably do the handbrake hill start instead of holding it on the clutch. But then it depends on a few conditions and you - but just a suggestion.

michael1990

HSC
pritnep said:
They will teach you what you ask to learn. I know my instructor had often taught older drivers to drive a manual, who for whatever reason never learned.

But the poster you were replying to seems to be doing everything ok. Just maybe on hills and this all depends on the slope, you should probably do the handbrake hill start instead of holding it on the clutch. But then it depends on a few conditions and you - but just a suggestion.
Yes, I agree with you.

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC
iEdd said:
Fair enough, sometimes it can make things smoother on cold days too. It will save wear on both syncros and clutch, but I don't know how much difference it will make in the long run. Hopefully that answers your question.
awesome. thank you(!).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)