Performance Opportunities (1 Viewer)

GRX40
HSC
N/A
I'm interested in expanding my musical horizons for performance. Thus, are there any web sites or organizations that would host listings or news for, say, musical orchestra members or session musicians?

I'm just hoping to be able to perform something outside of school and AMEB exams. The idea of playing as a musical volunteer at a nursing home sounds pretty awesome, but I have no idea where to obtain this kind of information. I only found one advertisement of this type, dated for 2004.

Would it work if I actually approached the nursing home or disabled institution first, or would that be pointless?

A place in a musical or performing at small events would be great as well, but again, I have no idea what good sources are.

Can anyone help me out here?

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
Hey,
It's quite rare that work for sessions and so on will be placed on a website of adds. Musicians tend to get their work through contacts. It can be a rather unfair business that way, but it's what you expect. There may be the occasional posting for gigs and things on youth orchestra web sites, but genrally in a members only section. E.g SBS Radio and television youth Orchestra has a members section, and sometimes there is a listing for a gig or two, but really- you've got to get out there, and get known. It's really the only way. xD

Definatley go out there, and try the nursing homes. Some hospitals too. I recently enquired into it, and have managed to get practice / performing opportunities on a weekly basis, if I want to that is. You really need to approach them, explain what you'd like to do. Pay will not be given in situations like this (Genrally) but it's for practice. It's good to play for others.

Alternitavley, you could hire out a small venue. Local hall, or church or something. Post a few flyers up and host a small concert. It's quite a common thing, especially with Con students i've noticed hehe. It's usually rather cheap to hire out halls and church spaces and so on, and they're easy to set up for a small concert or recital.

GRX40
HSC
N/A
Bunny04 said:
Definatley go out there, and try the nursing homes. Some hospitals too. I recently enquired into it, and have managed to get practice / performing opportunities on a weekly basis, if I want to that is. You really need to approach them, explain what you'd like to do. Pay will not be given in situations like this (Genrally) but it's for practice. It's good to play for others.
At this stage, money is a secondary issue. I just want to become involved with something musical. That's pretty cool, Bunny04. Did you approach them first and what did you say? Oh, and must one be a good singer to play for retirement villages and related institutions? I'd rather just accompany them on piano or guitar.

Bunny04 said:
Alternitavley, you could hire out a small venue. Local hall, or church or something. Post a few flyers up and host a small concert. It's quite a common thing, especially with Con students i've noticed hehe. It's usually rather cheap to hire out halls and church spaces and so on, and they're easy to set up for a small concert or recital.
Unfortunately, I don't think I'm skilled or entertaining enough to host a concert entirely dedicated to myself. I was part of a band at school for a time, but only one truly commendable gig was played, and it's since disintegrated. Either the people are great but lack musical compatibility, or it's the other way around. Gah. XD

Thanks for the insightful response! I didn't notice you had replied until just then, unfortunately.

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
HSC
If money's not such a big issue- how about going into the local neighbourhood council musicals.
For instance the Rockdale Musical Society, and the Kograh Musicial Society- and there's quite a few amateur groups down in the Sutherland Shire.
Also in the Eastern Suburbs. You can look it up in the daily paper genrally or try searching their websites. They usually have yearly musicals and so on.
Plus the ameteur orchestras around. Plenty of those.

I was playing for a fundraiser/charity event when someone approached me about playing weekly/monthly for a nursing home. They told me to give the home a call, which I did and discussed a time- and what they'd like to hear. I basically said 'I was enquiring as to wether or not you have a musical program at the nursing home.. If so, blah blah blah (if not, suggest it!!).

No, You don't have to be all that good!!! hehehe. You can go there simply to entertain, and give it a shot. They'll love that you put the effort into it ^^

GRX40
HSC
N/A
Thanks! You've been extremely helpful in many of my threads.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
If you apply student membership with the AMC (australian music centre - costs $30) you are sent performance opportunity listings each month, things such as competitions, premieres etc.

I strongly urge you to have a look at that, considering the AMC is your link to what's happening in the australian music industry, particularly for people with your talent.

GRX40
HSC
N/A
Thanks for the heads up, ur_inner_child! I recently attended a composition workshop which featured a table of Australian music propaganda/merchandise. Naturally, everyone laughed and didn't give it a second thought. In the face of this new revelation - What! This membership is actually useful for something?! - yes, I believe I will seriously consider it now. All I need to do is wait for my concession card.

Oh, and are there any consequences for signing up in the middle of a month, as opposed to at the beginning or end of one? Also, to receive two copies of the newsletters, as students are entitled to, must it be requested, or will I be provided with both automatically?

(Is anyone here already a member?)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I'm a full member. You get a magazine called 'Sounds Australian' which is all the goss going on in the music industry, which comes out only twice a year. If you apply soon, I think you'll get the second one in time.

You can get two copies of newsletters if you request it to be sent out to you again. They're absolutely cool with that. I don't think there is any disadvatage signing up late in the month, perhaps they won't give you that month's edition, but its really worth it.

And just pamphlets about events and stuff, its pretty cool :)

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
HSC
AYO programs.
www.ayo.com.au

You've missed the cut off for the 2007 programs, but for future ref- they do have new programs, such as the Cat Empire collaboration, down in Melbourne.
Check the programs each year, there's usually something new.

They also have National Music Camp - but that's either Orchestral, or Arts Administration based.

PAU - alot of people do it, it's quite good. Especially the 'State Music Camp'-
I think that's orchestral based though. (Not too sure)
It's down in Wollongong each year (Stanwell tops camp).

The cons 'Open Academy' (I think that's what its' called) has various programs and small ensembles. You might want to have a look at the con webbie for more info though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)