Performing while sick/injured (1 Viewer)

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
Argh. Anyone else have to go through these problems?

I was in a car accident a week before my performance trials, and very quickly came to the conclusion that it's damn near impossible to sing with whiplash. Not to mention shot breath control because of the seat belt across your stomach.
And with 6 pieces that's not very fun. At all, especially by the end, because 2 of my last pieces (A Bach and a Sullivan) are particularly difficult and they sounded like shite.
Well, apparently it wasn't that bad to the people outside the room, but I was not happy with my performance.

So, misadventure form went in with my performance, but I'm still worried that the markers (well the external marker, the teacher from my school knew) won't realise how much it affected my performance, and I'll get a shoddy assessment mark.
But what can you do.

Anyone else have/had similar issues?

HSC
Emma-Jayde said:
Argh. Anyone else have to go through these problems?

I was in a car accident a week before my performance trials, and very quickly came to the conclusion that it's damn near impossible to sing with whiplash. Not to mention shot breath control because of the seat belt across your stomach.
And with 6 pieces that's not very fun. At all, especially by the end, because 2 of my last pieces (A Bach and a Sullivan) are particularly difficult and they sounded like shite.
Well, apparently it wasn't that bad to the people outside the room, but I was not happy with my performance.

So, misadventure form went in with my performance, but I'm still worried that the markers (well the external marker, the teacher from my school knew) won't realise how much it affected my performance, and I'll get a shoddy assessment mark.
But what can you do.

Anyone else have/had similar issues?
Christ at least you werent killed or anything, poor thing!

My guitar teacher had something similar, though less dramatic than a car crash. He was all motivated and working really hard towards the concerto assesment for the CONN (you play a concerto with piano reduction, and the top mark gets to play it with orchestra.) He worked so hard that he got tendonitis in his right hand, and of course was in no possition to render the concierto. I have no evidence at all, but I believe he would have got the top mark if not for that injury, he's very good.

I think you MUST do everything you can do get the markers' sympathy, and take the misadventure thing as far as possible. Get a docter to write that the whiplash and lung-thing would effect your singing. You've probly done this already of course. Glad your ok otherwise!

Last edited:
HSC
Try playing any guitar or stringed instrument with freezing cold hands in a freezing cold room. That makes an impact on your performance big time.

HSC
Yeah I was going to say something similar to Oskar. Let them know that the accident had affected your performance and you might not be 100%. Even though I was told not to be overly friendly or talkative to my examiners, I still did. lol

HSC
petrucci_dude said:
Yeah I was going to say something similar to Oskar. Let them know that the accident had affected your performance and you might not be 100%. Even though I was told not to be overly friendly or talkative to my examiners, I still did. lol
See Petrucidude, we have something to agree on: I had that cold hands problem with my trial too, its a pain. The solution was easy tho: I got the tiny heater out of our music room (thorourly annoying the music class that was in their) and performed in front of the heater. Just make sure the heater dosent put the guitar out of tune!

HSC
We don't have any heaters lying around, hahaha..

I know who Andres Segovia is. :p - Why would he use a thermos for his HANDS though?

HSC
petrucci_dude said:
We don't have any heaters lying around, hahaha..

I know who Andres Segovia is. :p - Why would he use a thermos for his HANDS though?
A thermos is one of those cylender things for coffee, maybe your thinking of something else.

You fill it with boiling water, from home or from one of the staff rooms, and before seting up and practicing (I ussually warm up for 4 or 5 hrs till the performance IN the place where it happens) you open the lid and the steam warms your hands! then use a towel or something, and dont get water on your guitar! If its good enough for Segovia its good enough for us!

HSC
Nah, I know what a thermos is! I just didn't think of how he would have used it. Or how we would. It all makes sense now. Steam! I'm an idiot. :D

HSC
Apparently it's really good for singers to use a thermos or something to open the airways. James LaBrie (classically trained vocalist from Dream Theater) uses one. He takes a few on stage with him. It has BOILING hot water inside and he sips from it and lets the hot water go down his throat. I guess you really have to be able to tolerate the heat in your mouth to do it. But it opens his airways, so I'm assuming it works.

Try it, singers! :headbang:

Shadowlamb

HSC
hehe...My friend was very sick for our trials. He played his bit on the drums. Left the room. And vomited. It was great. Poor lamb...and the boys that were playing guitar for him all had colds and blocked ears and accidently didn't tune up right because they couldn't hear. It was a bit of a disaster. No where near as spectacular as a car accident though. Well done on that one.

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
petrucci_dude said:
Apparently it's really good for singers to use a thermos or something to open the airways. James LaBrie (classically trained vocalist from Dream Theater) uses one. He takes a few on stage with him. It has BOILING hot water inside and he sips from it and lets the hot water go down his throat. I guess you really have to be able to tolerate the heat in your mouth to do it. But it opens his airways, so I'm assuming it works.

Try it, singers! :headbang:
Hmm, it would work if your nose was blocked up. I'd never actually thought of that before!

Grrr, got the marks for some of my pieces back today, SO not happy, I got 26/30 for one of the pieces. I've seen the video of the performance, and it was note perfect. The only thing lacking was a little movement. Gee, I wonder why.
Should have been worth bloody 30 if I'd been able to move.
BUT I discovered today that it could have been worse. i found out that I've displaced some of the vertebrae in my neck so they're putting a collar on me. :( So i could have been trying to sing wearing one of those stupid things.

All you guys saying stiff about people with colds and being cold...The trials are at such a ridiculous time! It's the middle of bloody winter! How the hell are we supposed to perform when we're
a) Sick, or
b) Freezing our asses off in some little room

HSC
I didn't go too well in my trial exam. I came first in the grade, but I almost always do. So I never am suprised (the guy who always comes second just doesn't put in enough effort as he loves his maths. If he worked for it like me he would definitely come first always lol)...

I only got like, 50-60/70 for my trials. Shocking. I think everyone in my class went bad. BUT THIS IS NO EXCUSE! I will work harder! AND KICK ASS!...

I was in a car accidently recently, Emma-Jayde. Rolled a van in Pendle Hill. Hanging upside down and everything. This was actually on the way back from a HSC rehearsal that didn't finish until 11:30pm! We were on Channel 7 news! :rofl:

HSC
petrucci_dude said:
I didn't go too well in my trial exam. I came first in the grade, but I almost always do. So I never am suprised (the guy who always comes second just doesn't put in enough effort as he loves his maths. If he worked for it like me he would definitely come first always lol)...

I only got like, 50-60/70 for my trials. Shocking. I think everyone in my class went bad. BUT THIS IS NO EXCUSE! I will work harder! AND KICK ASS!...

I was in a car accidently recently, Emma-Jayde. Rolled a van in Pendle Hill. Hanging upside down and everything. This was actually on the way back from a HSC rehearsal that didn't finish until 11:30pm! We were on Channel 7 news! :rofl:
I also always come first in music EXCEPT for composition - we have a very talented and creative composer in our year. However I also came 2nd in adv 2 unit. maths, 1st in modern 1st or 2nd in english, 1st or 2nd in extention history and 1st 2nd or 3rd in ancient history. I had a good year, right when it matters (still have the HSC to survive tho!)...; However, I have absolutly no social life or life of any kind, music is my life!!! lol.

HSC
Haha, well I like to go to gigs, if possible. There's one in the middle of the HSC I will most likely go to. LOL.

If I did composition at my school I would definately come first. If I didn't I wouldn't mind because the other dude who would be likely to come first is in a band with me :rofl: and we can use each other's songs for the band. Hahah..

FolkMusicIsTops

HSC
heh heh, a guy i know broke his rib and punctured his lung a few weeks before the exam, but he booked out of the hospital and did a singing performance, and he went alright

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)