PERMS AND COMBS (1 Viewer)

SMARTYPANTS_SINGH

NESA WHY?
HSC
Let me get straight to the point, I hate perms and combs. Tbh I hate combinatorics in general. I had a test today and ngl I probably failed. This topic seems like a complete waste of time but since it's already in the syllabus, can someone give me some tips to get better? As it's going to come back in year 12 and I don't want to be completely clueless. The textbooks don't help at all, their methods/overview of the chapter makes sense, but then their questions have nothing to do with either of them.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Let me get straight to the point, I hate perms and combs. Tbh I hate combinatorics in general. I had a test today and ngl I probably failed. This topic seems like a complete waste of time but since it's already in the syllabus, can someone give me some tips to get better? As it's going to come back in year 12 and I don't want to be completely clueless. The textbooks don't help at all, their methods/overview of the chapter makes sense, but then their questions have nothing to do with either of them.
skill issue BUT

yes dont worry no one likes combs fuck that topic. U legit just gotta grind and pray to god lol.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
On a more serious note,

As long as you get the concept;

of table combinatorics (like the circle thing),
PHP such as handshake stuff (iftheres 29 ppl and everyone shook hands e.g), birthday problem etc...,
permutation/combinations questions like how many arrangements can u get from arranging SMARTYPANTS_SINGH

you'll be fine for yr 12. Its legit just grinding and knowing certain techniques. I legit just practiced these type of questions + HSC combs questions and I got those parts right in my exam, it shouldn't be too difficult

yolo tengo

mitsuya's fanboy
HSC
wait what ur doing that?? i didn't know diff schools started om diff topics, i'm doing functions rn

SMARTYPANTS_SINGH

NESA WHY?
HSC
Oh, w
wait what ur doing that?? i didn't know diff schools started om diff topics, i'm doing functions rn
Oh, we finished functions in advance. But our teacher covers advanced topics in order and ext 1 in reverse order so some of the topics don't cross over. Because doing the same topic at the same time In two different subjects is kind of useless, but it can be good for revision. Plus you're lucky you haven't touched perms and combs yet, it is so damn annoying.

SMARTYPANTS_SINGH

NESA WHY?
HSC
On a more serious note,

PHP such as handshake stuff (iftheres 29 ppl and everyone shook hands e.g), birthday problem etc...,
permutation/combinations questions like how many arrangements can u get from arranging SMARTYPANTS_SINGH

you'll be fine for yr 12. Its legit just grinding and knowing certain techniques. I legit just practiced these type of questions + HSC combs questions and I got those parts right in my exam, it shouldn't be too difficult
I don't know, although the questions usually have the same structure and working out to solve them, I always overthink it and do some random shit. Like today I was literally pulling numbers out of nowhere. Plus when I get a question wrong, I go over the whole theory again and then I get it what I did wrong. Then attempt to do a similar question but it uses a whole different concept.

yolo tengo

mitsuya's fanboy
HSC
Oh, w

Oh, we finished functions in advance. But our teacher covers advanced topics in order and ext 1 in reverse order so some of the topics don't cross over. Because doing the same topic at the same time In two different subjects is kind of useless, but it can be good for revision. Plus you're lucky you haven't touched perms and combs yet, it is so damn annoying.
we are like doing that in the last term, i got trig next HAHA, u can tell i go to a low ranking skl sadly

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
On a more serious note,

also in yr 12 you should be more worried abt those binomial questions that involve word problems and stuff, those are hard to get if ur not well versed. Dw abt not fully getting combs as of now, you'll find over the course of yr 11 you'll cruise through all the other topics and get to a point where you're more apt to tackle it. Just salvage your knowledge and try to grind as much problems you can to get that sense of familiarity.

its like memorising a mantra or the times table, you don't get it now but after a time you'll understand why lol. My only advice in your stage is don't get disheartened (because most of my class did including me) and just push on.

SMARTYPANTS_SINGH

NESA WHY?
HSC
I like parts of math that actually have numbers in the question, unlike perms and combs which are basically reading comprehension with math just forced into it.

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
idk if its just me but 3u math kinda becomes easy and very manageable by the time u get to y12 and when u reflect back u find past topics very easy.

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
I like parts of math that actually have numbers in the question, unlike perms and combs which are basically reading comprehension with math just forced into it.
i like more conceptual maths e.g. vectors, induction, basically ext1/2 math content etc

Which is why i hate advanced maths topics e.g. financial math, probability, statistics, (all tehse cancer topics)

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Ummm... I like more "pure maths" which forces you to think and engage with the fundamentals of mathematical structures such as group, rings, fields, theories and order etc. Not sure if you understand but it's extremely crucial to understanding the nature of mathematical logic and is applie- 🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓

yolo tengo

mitsuya's fanboy
HSC
Ummm... I like more "pure maths" which forces you to think and engage with the fundamentals of mathematical structures such as group, rings, fields, theories and order etc. Not sure if you understand but it's extremely crucial to understanding the nature of mathematical logic and is applie- 🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓
nerd

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)