Personal Pronouns (1 Viewer)

Graceofgod

HSC
Personal pronouns. When can you use them?

My english teacher; a head marker for HSC said that you should avoid where possible and only use them if you see no other way in module B (personal response for critical study).

However, a friend of mine at Hornsby Girls (normally rank 1 in english) says they are told to always "make it personal". She uses the words "my understanding of journeys (or whatever the essay is about) is .." in all of her essays. I think it should actually be "The journey is about ..". She scores very high marks in english and is ranked top 10 at her school.

My question is this:
Has my friend misunderstood the teachers when they say "make it personal", or is this really ok to do?
Or is it that you should never use them as there is always a more sophisticated way to convey a personal response?

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

SimonLee13

HSC
In the end, does it really matter? I would say being objective would be far more sophisticated and less pretentious? imo

dolbinau

HSC
I have a big issue using "I" it just doesn't sound right, however someone advised me in another thread that if they ask "How has YOUR understanding" that it's alright to use "I". My English teacher isn't that against it either.

I'm going to ring the HSC help line tomorrow about it, I think.

Graceofgod

HSC
dolbinau said:
I have a big issue using "I" it just doesn't sound right, however someone advised me in another thread that if they ask "How has YOUR understanding" that it's alright to use "I". My English teacher isn't that against it either.

I'm going to ring the HSC help line tomorrow about it, I think.
Ah, please do. Post it here :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)