Personal Statements (1 Viewer)

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
Sorry if this has been posted.

Applied for Bachelor of Arts in Communication (Journalism)

..and am still tinkering with the personal statement. Anyone else in the process of this? The main concern I'm having is having it make sense (lol) and stand out, so I'm avoiding the 'I've wanted to be a journalist since I was a child' cliche.

Suggestions, experiences etc welcomed!

btw - sorry I haven't been here for ages. Uni got the better of me. :rolleyes:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Put down about any work experience you have done and any freelance/volunteer writing or journalism you have done. What exactly does it ask you to say in the statement?

And yes I would probably avoid the "since a child" doozy.

Some of the qualities that I know the faculty value are curiosity (v v important, you might want to work that in), persistance, passion etc. Maybe a good thing to be would to work in an article/news item/feature you read/saw/loved recently? That way they would know you actually have some sort of interest in the media. Or maybe mention some of your "journalism idols"... that way they know you really are interested in journalism. So maybe you could talk about the kind of journalism that inspires you and what you would like to aspire to?

Mention you are from the country... people seem to like that. Maybe mention something about your desire to bring high quality journalism to your local area or something. They like people from the country, and people who want to be journalists in the country.

Umm can't think of anything else at the moment. But definately mention any work experience you have done.... maybe exaggerate a little if necessary lol.

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
You get a HD for that response!

Thanks Ash! You've given me some awsome ideas there - all of which I know would never cross my mind. I would never have thought to include the country part, and especially what 'journo idols' inspire me etc. Good angle there.

maybe exaggerate a little if necessary lol.
Ohhh there will be exaggeration :cool:

It's pretty general:

Personal Statement Link

Like I said, I've been tinkering with it for a couple of weeks and haven't really got a clue what to say that would stand out. The ideas you've given me are exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks again. I really appreciate your help. :)

btw - did you get anyone from SCU for the Student Leader? Hope you did. There are some good writers here ...when they get off their ass. lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)