Pharmacy Sydney Uni (1 Viewer)

anonymus2003

Bored User
HSC
Please do anonymous. That'd be a great help to future students not to mention it'd be interesting to compare to what I studied.
to be honest i was just like you wen i started off pharmacy, id never even set foot in one and i was under a deluded impression, i actually want to do med but the stupid umat is not letting me thru so looks like grad entry to me. pharmacy none the less is a very challenging and difficult degree to do well in since there are so many smart kids competing with you, and to be honest at the end of the day its just not worth so much effort putting in 25-30 hour weeks all for what? selling vitamins i mean...the pharmacy i work at even sells photo frames to baby spoons and forks so its just not worth the effort for retail pharm. the industrial sector on the other hand? i have no idea or the hospital side of things i know little about so i guess that would be good if your doing something challenging,but the sad fact is most of the money is in retail and neither of the other two interesting fields unless u work in the other two and own a pharmacy u kinda get a bit of both.

I was talking to an accountant not long ago who said his clients were pharmacists he said on avearge their credit card personal bills exceeded 40k-70k a MONTH. so thats like 500 000 in spending a year, on personal expense before they make any money...i guess they make a fortune in retail!

485h324s

HSC
N/A
To Jason: your completely right, pharmacy is not as grand as people think. you do the same things day in and day out. but thats with alot of jobs not just pharmacy to be honest. but yes sticking labels, giving out difflam and saying u want generics? is bout the height of your careeer. unless you work in industry or hospital where youre more an expert and you recommend what needs to be prescribed etc.

To Lala and danz, yeah its like that, theyre going to talk about the pharmacotherapeutics of each of those body systems seeing that by the end of second year you've pretty much done everything in 3rd year they had to bring some new things, from what i know 4th year isnt even developed for us yet. But should be exciting, last years pharmacology they removed diabetes saying it would now be included in 3rd year, but so far ive done pharmacokinetics and genetics, medchem 2a, 3a (now called drug discovery and design A and B) and also done pharmaceutics a and b, now skillfully called Formulating and Dispensing.

ill let u guys know how it goes wen the year starts i guess?

P.S Im 3rd year pharmacy student under the new curriculum so if anyones got questions by all means direct them to me.

how do you feel about the uai dropping and the increasing number of graduates that are graduating each year. Do u feel pharmacy is going to go as low as say nursing with respect to pay, class, status etc..?

how do u feel about the over-emphasis of pharmackinetics and all that bs in the new curriculum.
I feel there's a lack of focus on the process of dispensing esp the practice of counselling the patients with more specific drugs that are found and dispensed regulary such as effexor, somac, pariet etc...

How do u feel waking up at 8am in the morning

how do u feel finishing uni at 5pm in the afternoon

how do u feel having fanfan as a lectuerer

how do u feel having squeek asian ladies as ur lectuerer

how do u feel having a run down shack as a faculty building when lawyers are living it up

how do u feel about having no maccas at usyd

are u going to be rich?

lala2

Banned
HSC
to be honest i was just like you wen i started off pharmacy, id never even set foot in one and i was under a deluded impression, i actually want to do med but the stupid umat is not letting me thru so looks like grad entry to me. pharmacy none the less is a very challenging and difficult degree to do well in since there are so many smart kids competing with you, and to be honest at the end of the day its just not worth so much effort putting in 25-30 hour weeks all for what? selling vitamins i mean...the pharmacy i work at even sells photo frames to baby spoons and forks so its just not worth the effort for retail pharm. the industrial sector on the other hand? i have no idea or the hospital side of things i know little about so i guess that would be good if your doing something challenging,but the sad fact is most of the money is in retail and neither of the other two interesting fields unless u work in the other two and own a pharmacy u kinda get a bit of both.

I was talking to an accountant not long ago who said his clients were pharmacists he said on avearge their credit card personal bills exceeded 40k-70k a MONTH. so thats like 500 000 in spending a year, on personal expense before they make any money...i guess they make a fortune in retail!
:eek: at the credit card bills! I don't know how much it works out to in terms of net profit but a previous pharmacy I worked at, they were pulling $80k/month in gross profit. Depends what got put on the credit card though because credit cards are only a small part of a business' expenses (you'll learn all about this in management if you take it up).

Agree with the shit pay, re: hospital anyway. I reckon we should get paid more because we do actually do more work. One of the pharmacists at work has the best of both worlds--owns a community pharmacy and works one day a week at the hospital.

how do you feel about the uai dropping and the increasing number of graduates that are graduating each year. Do u feel pharmacy is going to go as low as say nursing with respect to pay, class, status etc..?

how do u feel about the over-emphasis of pharmackinetics and all that bs in the new curriculum.
I feel there's a lack of focus on the process of dispensing esp the practice of counselling the patients with more specific drugs that are found and dispensed regulary such as effexor, somac, pariet etc...

How do u feel waking up at 8am in the morning

how do u feel finishing uni at 5pm in the afternoon

how do u feel having fanfan as a lectuerer

how do u feel having squeek asian ladies as ur lectuerer

how do u feel having a run down shack as a faculty building when lawyers are living it up

how do u feel about having no maccas at usyd

are u going to be rich?
lol are you another student too? So you've had the pleasure of being lectured by Fan-Fan? She was new when I was in third year (2008) and her teaching PK--not good. Other than that, don't be so pessimistic! btw there's a Maccas near USYD--out the back of Bosch at RPA. It's one of those Maccas cafes rather than a proper restaurant but it serves the basics. What year are you in? My degree didn't have much counselling but maybe the new degree will integrate that better.

I'm not happy about the increasing number of graduates especially because I went into pharmacy thinking I'd never have to compete for a job in my life (well not to the point of putting in absolutely no effort but if you read my thread in the medical forum I think you'll agree I've had to expend more energy than could reasonably be expected). Pharmacy I hope won't go as low as nursing in terms of any of those things you mentioned.

anonymus2003

Bored User
HSC
:eek: at the credit card bills! I don't know how much it works out to in terms of net profit but a previous pharmacy I worked at, they were pulling $80k/month in gross profit. Depends what got put on the credit card though because credit cards are only a small part of a business' expenses (you'll learn all about this in management if you take it up).

Agree with the shit pay, re: hospital anyway. I reckon we should get paid more because we do actually do more work. One of the pharmacists at work has the best of both worlds--owns a community pharmacy and works one day a week at the hospital.

lol are you another student too? So you've had the pleasure of being lectured by Fan-Fan? She was new when I was in third year (2008) and her teaching PK--not good. Other than that, don't be so pessimistic! btw there's a Maccas near USYD--out the back of Bosch at RPA. It's one of those Maccas cafes rather than a proper restaurant but it serves the basics. What year are you in? My degree didn't have much counselling but maybe the new degree will integrate that better.

I'm not happy about the increasing number of graduates especially because I went into pharmacy thinking I'd never have to compete for a job in my life (well not to the point of putting in absolutely no effort but if you read my thread in the medical forum I think you'll agree I've had to expend more energy than could reasonably be expected). Pharmacy I hope won't go as low as nursing in terms of any of those things you mentioned.
lolz fanfan, lala i think we proly studied PK from her around the same time, werent the second yers and third years in the same class? and also for formulating and dispensing, kim chan is sucha hectic lecturer, except his exams are bluddy hard! Im not too happy about the dropping of the uai but i hear it might have increased this year? i know somone who got like 93 or smething this year and did not make it. so who knows? and also we did a bit of counselling in pharmacy practice in second year. i hear there is going to be more of it in 3rd year for us too. should be good i guess, so far the focus has been mostly theory but now its going to get more clinical.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Nup I didn't share PK with you guys. I did it in 2008 as a third year, so you guys would've been first year. Do you guys share with Masters students as well? Agree about Kim Chan. I'd be interested to see what the cutoff was--someone's already made a thread about it so hopefully they get a reply soon. Counselling was taught very poorly when I was in 2nd year. It was 2nd semester pharm prac and it really advantaged those who already had pharm jobs. I remember having to dash through a CMI in 2 minutes or something really short for the exam, and the tutes didn't really allow us to practice. No wonder I got 59 as my final mark :rolleyes:

anonymus2003

Bored User
HSC
Nup I didn't share PK with you guys. I did it in 2008 as a third year, so you guys would've been first year. Do you guys share with Masters students as well? Agree about Kim Chan. I'd be interested to see what the cutoff was--someone's already made a thread about it so hopefully they get a reply soon. Counselling was taught very poorly when I was in 2nd year. It was 2nd semester pharm prac and it really advantaged those who already had pharm jobs. I remember having to dash through a CMI in 2 minutes or something really short for the exam, and the tutes didn't really allow us to practice. No wonder I got 59 as my final mark :rolleyes:
nah we dont share with masters, but i might have at one point, our pharm prac exam was the same :) it was total bs i only ended up with a 62 in it too. u know pharmacy subs are so bloody hard, i dont know how people seem to gun it so well? like in comparison eco students at mac just rip it up so easy...without even studying...and here u gotta literally bust ur ass and all u get is like a 60 or something!...i dont see how im supposed to keep at gpa of 5.5 to get into med like this! lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)