Pharmacy then post-grad Med ? (1 Viewer)

Niren7

Goldmember
HSC
hey, I was wondering if instead of doing under-graduate courses like med-science or science(adv), is it possible to complete a bachelor of pharmacy degree and then do the gamsat for postgrad Med.

If so, would the prior knowledge benefit students undertaking a Med degree?

Also, I'd luv it if someone who is currently doing Pharmacy could tell me about the work involved in their degree, career opportunities and if the subjects are relevant to the gamsat... Thanx! :p

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
waste of a year

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
you can do any course and go on to post grad med
pharmacy would give you alot of knowledge that would be helpful in the gamsat and med

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
I know about three people who chose that option.

One of them who is a good friend of mine is finishing his Pharmacy degree's registration thing (to become a practising Pharmacist, done at the end of four years) as well as commencing his first year of graduate Medicine study this year.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Smart idea is to do pharm, work for a yr, then do med. Then you work as a pharm during your med degree, and not be poor.

Pharmacists do well in internship since they know all the drug names :)

Niren7

Goldmember
HSC
sweet, thanx :)

I didn't realise that it was common (considering that priesty alone knows of 3 ppl), and it does seem to have quite a few advantages.
Do you think that the students in Pharmacy are as competitive as those in MedScience or Science(adv) ?

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Doesn't matter in the end. Don't be like me and worry about others. University is just a large amount of not too hard work. So keep up to date, and dont worry about others beating you. Just keep that 70-75 average and you will fly past the GPA cut off for USYD.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Yes, I'm a second year pharm student so I can give you an idea. I'm not on BOS too much now because second year's so intense but I do try to come on at least once a month now. What everyone's said so far is true, and jb_nc's comment that it's a "waste of a year" I agree with, depending on how you look at it.

Prior knowledge...um, GAMSAT is mainly first year/second year uni sciences in bio and chem (with year 12 physics) so regardless of what degree you do as long as it's science based should be fine because they all cover the same thing during that period. So med science, science, pharmacy....anything, really.

Work involved--first year is honeymoon year. Second year is hardest. Third year...no idea but people I've talked to about third years they know have a variety of opinions on this. Fourth year is the easiest because it's all practicals, and they do want you to pass--you'll be too expensive to fail by this stage.

Career opportunities--your local chemist shop, hospital pharmacy, or research, teaching in the pharmaceutical industry.

Chances of getting in--well, we've had some physiology lecturers (shared around with normal physiology subjects and from the medicine faculty) and they say that there's always a constant trickle of pharmacy graduates in there so it's really what you make of it.

It's a good degree to get into that will assure you of a decent career should you fail to make medicine, unlike medical science where I've heard first hand that all 150 second years are applying either for med or dentistry and don't really have the option of failing because no-one wants to do research (the only thing the degree really prepares you for).

Please feel free to post or PM me, but please do not expect a prompt reply as I mentioned above, second year's quite intense. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)