Pharmacy workload (1 Viewer)

Seven3121

HSC
to any pharmacy students out there,
i'm currently considering doing pharmacy at usyd and am a little worried about the workload i'm hearing about - in the area of being at uni all day on all weekdays. how accurate is this?
and about how many hours a week do you actually do in first year and does it ease up in later years?
also, is there alot of homework to do in addition to this?
and finally, is it difficult to cope with the workload in pharmacy?

thanks

2opinion8d

kittyfr33k
HSC
i'm seriously in need of answers too...

Is it possible to work part time during first year (maybe around 4-6 hrs per week) and still get decent marks/time for assignments etc.?

sydneyphoenix

HSC
N/A
The fact that you have to come into uni every weekday for a few hours do not change if you are going to pursue almost any science-related degree.
The workload does not lighten after the first year. If anything, it increases as you move into second and third year, since you get to learn more pharmacy-oriented knowledges. But as long as you put in fair amount of work you shouldn't have to worry about failing too much-well no more than in any other degree.
You can work part-time during your pharmacy degree without adversely affecting your grades; in fact the pharmacists I've talked to recommended that the student should take up some sort of part-time work, possibly in pharmacy business.

Seven3121

HSC
ok, that doesnt seem too bad then.
i had heard that pharmacy students were at uni from 9 to 5 everyday and hours were in the high 30's per week. so this was an exaggeration? please tell me it was...

lala2

Banned
HSC
Loser101, which lecturer is this? (as in, what subject and what year does he/she teach?)

As for the OP, yes most people work either Thursday nights, Saturdays or Sundays without any problem, some manage Saturdays AND Sundays and still pass well so hey. Good for you to get a job at a comm pharm, helps consolidate your knowledge and exposes you to what your future career will be like, as well as the benefits that come from being employed.

Yes, five days a week, if you get any less than that you're very lucky. I remember first year something like 27 hours but three hour breaks meant I was at uni more than 30 hours/week. Hours ease up in upper years--you don't get constant labs (so like for pharmacology this sem I only get labs weeks 2, 3, 6, 9, 10 and med chem weeks 1-5) and you won't suffer massive three hour breaks because they're all catered to pharmacy students (unlike BIOL1003 or something where ppl from other faculties are taking it too so they can't timetable it specifically). On the other hand, this means 4 hours' worth of straight lectures IN BOSCH WITHOUT MOVING so don't think it's not tiring!

It's easy to pass (I reckon), if you have a reasonable work ethic you'll get credit, but anything above...*respect*

HSC
You'll have to prepare to do a LOT of assignments plus somehow squeeze in the time to study. Don't worry too much, just take everything as it comes and start things as soon as you get them. If you are the organised type, you'll get through it.

At first I was really stressed but now I'm kind of enjoying the challenge. (But I don't work part time):eek:

Edit: Who is this racist Jewish lec I keep hearing of? I'm yet to come across one. By the way, why are people so fucking rude during the lectures? Seriously, they won't shut up.

Last edited:
HSC
Man, this post is waay old. You're probably in pharm right now. Future students can take my advice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)