Pharmcy, Physiotherapy or Occupational Therapy? (1 Viewer)

Farmers08

HSC
Hello.

I am having so much trouble deciding what to study next year. I'm tossing up between physio, pharmacy and OT at Sydney. I finished my HSC in 2008 with an equivelent ATAR of 95.10 and I recieved a 163 STAT score. I would love to study physio but won't make the cut off. So I'm tossing up between pharmacy and OT.

I think I'd love all the medical science subjects in pharmacy like physiology, pharmacology, etc, but I'm not sure I'd love the career. Over 80%-90% of graduates work in community pharmacies and I don't think it would be that interesting.

With OT the course doesn't seem very medical sciencie as pharmacy (of course) but the job looks so much more flexible as you can work in hospitals, private practices with kids, or the elderly or in the area of mental health.

I am so confused :confused: Can anyone help me decide!

lizajane91

HSC
have you considered physio at different unis? i know its rural but CSU in orange has physio and you should make the cutoff. Its actually a really nice town! im not sure about other unis but maybe UNCLE or UWS

lala2

Banned
HSC
I don't know anything about OT but I can tell you about pharm :) Community pharmacy is not the only thing you can do with a pharm degree. You can do hospital, which I'm super set on. It's much more interesting--you really get to apply a lot more of your knowledge and you see much more interesting cases, not to mention you have more of a say in what gets prescribed. Other things which you can do I wrote a massive list on a while back: http://community.boredofstudies.org/2975888/post-60.html

So yeah, hopefully some ideas to get you started :) The other thing to remember is, regardless of what you pick, a degree is only 4-5 years of your life, compared to working which is what, 40 years? So make sure you can see yourself doing the career.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)