Philosophy vs Ideology (1 Viewer)

RainbowBrite

HSC
Hey there :)
I'm looking for some help...

What the heck is the difference between Philosophy and Ideology???

I get the definitions out, and can see a tiny bit of difference, but then when I take it to my belief systems case study (Buddhism) and attempt to apply it to that, I get all confused and just don't know what's what. Anyone help please?

:) Much appreciated

Kulazzi

HSC
Ideology

In general usage, refers to the body of doctrine, myth and symbols of a social movement, a social class or institution. Many sociologists use the term with particular reference to the set of beliefs, attitudes and/or practices that overtly or covertly serve the interests of one particular group, government or social class as opposed to serving universal interests.

From your syllabus.

Philosophy

1. the rational investigation of the truths and principles of being, knowledge, or conduct.

This is from Dictionary.com

So briefly, ideology concerns symbols, beliefs and myths while philosophy is only concerned with truth (note there is no "truth" mentioned in the definition of ideology and no "myths" in philosophy).

Now, there is a great difference between myth and truth. Going back to dictionary.com, it defines myth as: a traditional or legendary story, usually concerning some being or hero or event, with or without a determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation...

and truth as: actuality or actual existence looking at definition 5 as this relates most.

So, myth is just basically imaginary stories, there is no way of really knowing if that event has actually occurred so it can be false whereas truth deals with facts [with reference history].

So it may be a myth that, for example, siddartha had saw the three signs of suffering. But it may be a fact that he meditated which is implemented in Buddism today. These are only examples, so don't quote me on this though many people say Buddhism is based on philosophical values :)

edit: I just read over it and hope you understood what I just said. I just took each concept and took one aspect from each, defining it further in order to differentiate them [ie myth and truth]

Last edited:

RainbowBrite

HSC
Thanks for your help :)

I checked out dictionary.com last night, but it didnt make sense to me, but you helped to make it more understandable :)

I asked my teacher today (hadn't recieved your reply post yet) and she said that philosophy is more the bigger picture stuff, while ideology is more the guidelines or rules of the philosophy. I liked that explaination- simple and easy to remember.

Kulazzi

HSC
RainbowBrite said:
Thanks for your help :)

I checked out dictionary.com last night, but it didnt make sense to me, but you helped to make it more understandable :)
No worries =)

I asked my teacher today (hadn't recieved your reply post yet) and she said that philosophy is more the bigger picture stuff, while ideology is more the guidelines or rules of the philosophy. I liked that explaination- simple and easy to remember.
rofl. It is very much simpler than what I had type up! :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)