Philosophy? (1 Viewer)

Anonymous1

HSC
Of recent times, I've had a sudden interest in philosophy and after reading several threads, I've gained an interest in possibly studying it. I was hoping someone could help me out, and answer some questions:

Which universities in NSW offer this course? What are the UAI cut-offs?

I suspect the UAI would be somewhat high. So, what are the ways you could transfer into a course like this?

During the course, what exactly do you study? Can you choose to study in specific areas?

Job Prospects? What career oppertunities can come out of doing a philosophy course in Uni?

Any help appreciated. :)

Anonymous1

HSC
I've spent a while looking through the UAC course search and havn't got much out of it. From what I understand, entering a Philosophy(honours) course directly would require a UAi of 99 (minimum) and additional criteria(possibly an interview).

I'm going to be realistic and say I probably won't get a UAI of 99> so doing a Philosophy(Honours) would require me to enter it upon completion of an under-graduate course?

Would the completion of a B. Arts degree allow me to enter a Philosophy course? (Assuming that I choose philosophy/history related units and achieve D's? HD's? Hopefully credits?). Besides this course, what other courses would lead to an entry in Philosophy.. possibly a transfer?

Any help would be appreciated...

Without Wings - Thanks for the link. Had a read of it, and understand what skills I could gain, however could someone provide more detail in what is studied throughout the course. Is it history/religion/science orientated?

As for carrer oppertunities, it doesn't seem to bright. :S

Would anyone know first hand, of specific jobs that you could enter? Any Salary figures?

Thanks.

Affinity

HSC
B.Philosopy is usually not about philosophy.. read carefully

bored6

HSC
Anonymous1 said:
I've spent a while looking through the UAC course search and havn't got much out of it. From what I understand, entering a Philosophy(honours) course directly would require a UAi of 99 (minimum) and additional criteria(possibly an interview).

I'm going to be realistic and say I probably won't get a UAI of 99> so doing a Philosophy(Honours) would require me to enter it upon completion of an under-graduate course?

Would the completion of a B. Arts degree allow me to enter a Philosophy course? (Assuming that I choose philosophy/history related units and achieve D's? HD's? Hopefully credits?). Besides this course, what other courses would lead to an entry in Philosophy.. possibly a transfer?

Any help would be appreciated...

Without Wings - Thanks for the link. Had a read of it, and understand what skills I could gain, however could someone provide more detail in what is studied throughout the course. Is it history/religion/science orientated?

As for carrer oppertunities, it doesn't seem to bright. :S

Would anyone know first hand, of specific jobs that you could enter? Any Salary figures?

Thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The degree B Arts (majoring in philosophy) is a philosophy course. The Philosophy (honours) courses as far as I can tell seem to be for geniuses which wish to pursuit accademia.

dion7789

Dodgy Pen Dealer
HSC
Im doing a B science but i am also doing philosophy subjects within it and intend on transferring to double degree with arts majoring in philosophy. In general the uai ranges from 60 (BA at uws) to 80+ such as UOW, USYD etc...as for job prospects phil is really well if u have a different degree as well ie/ it helps in careers including science, journalism etc...it helps you look into things in detail a lot more...good luck with ur decision

Anonymous1

HSC
mm.. so correct me if I'm wrong but, if you don't get a UAI of 99> you can't automatically enter the Philosophy(Honours) course. So you would do a B. Arts course and choose philosophy subjects. Upon completion of the arts course, if eligible you can apply to the Honours course, and later on Masters, etc?

Sorry if I've lost the plot..

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
No you don't understand. The B Philosophy (honours) course is essentially something that you'll never be able to do unless you get 99 uai.

You can do a B Arts (MAJORING IN PHILOSOPHY) which means, a bachelor of arts where the majority of your subjects will be philosophy... Upon completion of that, you can do honours if you meet the requirement, recieving a B Arts (Philosophy) (Hons), beyond that you could go for a PHd or whatever.

HSC
My mate is doing some philosophy thing at ANU...but he's pretty much doing science subjects? :S

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
watatank said:
My mate is doing some philosophy thing at ANU...but he's pretty much doing science subjects? :S
That might be the PhB, which is not about what we now refer to as philosophy but is simply a heavily research-based undergraduate degree in any subject. It's parallel to a PhD (doctor of philosophy), which is not about what we now know as philosophy but is simply a research-based postgrad degree.

I think these come from an older meaning of 'philosopher', which goes back to its actual meaning in Greek, 'lover of wisdom' - applying to all fields of knowledge, not just to what we now consider to be philosophy. (And yes, I've been reading too much about ancient Alexandria and the Greek philosophers lately. So shoot me.)

Optophobia

HSC
Anonymous1 said:
Of recent times, I've had a sudden interest in philosophy and after reading several threads, I've gained an interest in possibly studying it. I was hoping someone could help me out, and answer some questions:

Which universities in NSW offer this course? What are the UAI cut-offs?

I suspect the UAI would be somewhat high. So, what are the ways you could transfer into a course like this?

During the course, what exactly do you study? Can you choose to study in specific areas?

Job Prospects? What career oppertunities can come out of doing a philosophy course in Uni?

Any help appreciated. :)
I don't think there are any philosophy courses, just units.. because they make up part of a degree, not a degree by its self.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)