Philosophy (1 Viewer)

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
...speaking of paradoxes does anyone know any really interesting ones? If God can do anything could God create [insert object here] so big/deep/hard/long/difficult etc. that even he couldn't [insert activity here? is a bit lame:p
I have one: a library has its books catalogued into two volumes based on whether the books are self-refernced. One book is titled "self-refernced" the other "non-self-referned." Which volume does the book titled "non-self-refernced" go? Seems simple... its not.

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Zarathustra
...speaking of paradoxes does anyone know any really interesting ones? If God can do anything could God create [insert object here] so big/deep/hard/long/difficult etc. that even he couldn't [insert activity here? is a bit lame:p
I have one: a library has its books catalogued into two volumes based on whether the books are self-refernced. One book is titled "self-refernced" the other "non-self-referned." Which volume does the book titled "non-self-refernced" go? Seems simple... its not.
Well the title of the book is obviopusly a lie :. self referenced

Zarathustra

Dasein
HSC
If it is self-referenced then it would be in the self referenced volume, not the non-self-referenced volume. This would then mean it is not self-referenced hence it would be removed from the volume, this would then repeat ad infinitum:p

Calculatortron :D how can the title of a book be a lie? It is the title, a title can be anything - it is not a lie goddamnit.

Calculon

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Zarathustra
Oh wait.... did I mention the books titled 'self-referenced' and 'non-self-referenced' were the two volumes as well - whoops :cold:
Originally posted by nickyazn
You got owned, owned by your own stupidity

Iunny

just wondering seeing as calculon managed to bring her up again,

did she got banned?

Calculon

HSC
N/A
Nah, she just left when she finally realised that nobody liked her

mei_ling03

Ain't love grand.
HSC
CARTESIAN DUALISM vs. EVERYONE

just wondering, does anyone here know any strong arguments for the viability of descartes' cartesian dualism cos at the moment i've got 0.

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
Originally posted by PacifistWarrior
I was wondering if anyone else had an interest in philosophy? Are you interested in any specific branches?

Got any good philosophical questions for others to ponder (and reply to)?
Please refer to my thread on 1984 - George Orwell in the reading room. I have posted a rather lengthy philosiphy there that may enlighten you.

rubylotus11

For those of you doing philosophy in UNI, could you please provide an insight into what it's like. I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but since it's still about philosophy...thanks in advance.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
--Could God make an ocean so deep that even HE would drown in it?
--Could God build a prison so strong that even HE could not break free?
from a theologicl perspective...God will not do anything which contradicts His nature...

Tabris

HSC
Philosiphy is very very broad, very interesting and makes u tick and ponder real hard anyway heres a few recommendations

Thomas Aquainas - summa theologica - thological (all about god and life)
Communist Manifesto - Political and economics
George Orwell - political and economics
Jean Paul Sartre works - existentialism
Aristotle - metaphysics

And of course the movie "End of Evangelion" enough heavy stuff to blow u mind up on metaphysics and spiritualiy and meaning of life

These works are very heavy to deal with and very time consuming, its probably worthwile to know the basic idea of their views,

Last edited:

Zarathustra

Dasein
HSC
Will "End of Evangelion" be aired on SBS soon?

Tabris, that list seems very random - what is the theme?
Any list that excludes Nietzsche andSchopenhauer gets my thumbs down:p - but NGE has a great philosophical outlook so I will always watch it.

I have yet to read Sartre, which books do you recommend?

Tabris

HSC
"No Exit"

http://classics.mit.edu/Aristotle/metaphysics.html

http://www.newadvent.org/summa/

Ther works I read have different broad issues anyway these two are the best. The main theme from Summa theologica is all about God, his world, our world, the basic principles of life and some answers to life itself. Aristotle however, is abit the same, talking about areas such as Wisdom, human nature etc.

BTW End of Eva, half of the movie is nearly all talk based upon the different works and schools of philosiphy

Zarathustra

Dasein
HSC
http://www.geocities.com/thenietzschechannel/

I don't want to seem to be disparaging philosophical greats (cabbage heads:p ) but Aristotle was wrong and Thomas Aquinas simply adapted Aristotles arguments for a Roman Catholic audience. Most of the things that Aristotle thought would be laughable today (e.g the heart is the organ of cognitive function and the brain is to keep the blood cool (I actually believe this :rolleyes: ) and the reason why bodies fall towards the centre of the Earth is because the gods want a clean heaven and it would be inconvenient for them to have rubbish).

He did have some great ideas (obviously - he was one of the greatest thinkers of all time) but after 3 thousand years his ideas do seem a tad dated - it was bound to happen :p

Nietzsche on the other is a philosopher of the future - born posthumously.

What is it about Thomas Aquinas and Aristotle that interest you - are you Catholic - Tabris.

Tabris

HSC
Ethics and morality taught in catholicism as well as ethics and virtues from aristotle reflect most of my views and philoisphy, thats all,

leiara

do u think philsophy is a good course to take? My design teacher had done it, and he said it broadens ur thoughts... i didnt really know what it was..but now i do have an idea of it.

Is it a course that will interest lots of ppl or should it only be choosen if u have an interest in it? wat do u reakon?? what sorta stuff do u study? and how is it assessed?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)