Physical journey - understading of the world (1 Viewer)

m000

HSC
N/A
Can someone explain to me how physical journeys expand our knowledge of our self, individuals and the world?
Thanks heaps!!!!!:lol:

HSC
yeah if you don't know how to answer that question you seriously need to cram hard.

I am happy to help but what texts are you studying?

m000

HSC
N/A
umm crossing ther red sea, feliks skrzynecki and immigrants at central station 1951... thanks a lot for the help!

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
This is all off the top of my head, so it's not great but it's all I could think of.
BTW, none of these poems really shows an expansion of understanding of individuals, I don't think. A good poem which shows this is 'Leaving Home', as Peter's understanding of bureacracy and stubborn individuals is made apparent, as well as deep set racial hatred... But anyway.

CROSSING THE RED SEA
discusses the experiences of the immigrants on the boat to Australia as they cross the equator. the title is a Biblical Illusion, and implies a strenuous physical journey. The journey is gruelling, and pushes the immigrants to the edge of their physical capbility, thus expanding their knowledge of themselves in this way. Also the journey depicted expands their knowledge of the world, in that none of them would have undertaken a journey so long before... many of the immigrants would never have strayed too far from the rural, agrarian lifestyle they had been accustomed to in Europe.

FELIKS SKRZYNECKI
portrays Peter's father, Feliks, as a stoic old man, with no greater concerns in his life than his backyard, in which he takes great pride. This is juxtaposed by several other of Skrzynecki's poems, which depict the terrible journey they would have had to undertake in order to arrive in Australia. This poem shows (imo) that no matter where you go in the world, you'll always find a part of yourself, or of your home... In this case it applies, as Feliks had lived his life as a farmer in a rural, agrarian setting in Poland, and has come to Australia, finding his niche in his own backyard. So knowledge of the world is expanded.

IMMIGRANTS AT CENTRAL STATION 1951
Expands the knowledge of the immigrants about the world - it depicts their first moments in Australia (specifically, at Central Station which, in 1951, was the hub of all activity in Sydney, as the train system was so important at the time). It depicts Sydney in a fairly negative way.... the immigrants feel ostracised, there is the widespread use of words with negatie bias and connotations... thus the knowledge of the world that the immigrants gain has been overall negative.

Hope this has helped! Study up or you're screwed... I'm worried if most of this you didn't know.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
P.S. this should really be in the English (Area of Study) subforum...
mods?

m000

HSC
N/A
wixxy2348 said:
This is all off the top of my head, so it's not great but it's all I could think of.
BTW, none of these poems really shows an expansion of understanding of individuals, I don't think. A good poem which shows this is 'Leaving Home', as Peter's understanding of bureacracy and stubborn individuals is made apparent, as well as deep set racial hatred... But anyway.

CROSSING THE RED SEA
discusses the experiences of the immigrants on the boat to Australia as they cross the equator. the title is a Biblical Illusion, and implies a strenuous physical journey. The journey is gruelling, and pushes the immigrants to the edge of their physical capbility, thus expanding their knowledge of themselves in this way. Also the journey depicted expands their knowledge of the world, in that none of them would have undertaken a journey so long before... many of the immigrants would never have strayed too far from the rural, agrarian lifestyle they had been accustomed to in Europe.

FELIKS SKRZYNECKI
portrays Peter's father, Feliks, as a stoic old man, with no greater concerns in his life than his backyard, in which he takes great pride. This is juxtaposed by several other of Skrzynecki's poems, which depict the terrible journey they would have had to undertake in order to arrive in Australia. This poem shows (imo) that no matter where you go in the world, you'll always find a part of yourself, or of your home... In this case it applies, as Feliks had lived his life as a farmer in a rural, agrarian setting in Poland, and has come to Australia, finding his niche in his own backyard. So knowledge of the world is expanded.

IMMIGRANTS AT CENTRAL STATION 1951
Expands the knowledge of the immigrants about the world - it depicts their first moments in Australia (specifically, at Central Station which, in 1951, was the hub of all activity in Sydney, as the train system was so important at the time). It depicts Sydney in a fairly negative way.... the immigrants feel ostracised, there is the widespread use of words with negatie bias and connotations... thus the knowledge of the world that the immigrants gain has been overall negative.

Hope this has helped! Study up or you're screwed... I'm worried if most of this you didn't know.
Thanks a lot for your help. I do know most of the things but I just didn't know how to twist my information to answer the question. I always find it hard to answer the question...

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
m000 said:
Thanks a lot for your help. I do know most of the things but I just didn't know how to twist my information to answer the question. I always find it hard to answer the question...
fair enough... i guess u just have to think about it in the sense that no journey can be undertaken in which the person journeying doesn't learn SOMETHING (even if that 'something' is that journeys are lame and boring)... so you can always twist it to fit.

diametric

HSC
I don't do Skryznecki but Huck Finn.
And it should generally be the same.
A physical journey is a movement from one place to another. That consequently brings about change and learning.

So, person A goes on journey. Encounters obstacles, which force person A to reconsider their understanding of themselves, and of the world around them. Consequently, learning is brought about.
For eg, in the fog scene in Huck Finn, Huck tries to trick Jim (Negro) into believing they had not been separated, Jim is deeply hurt that Huck would consider tricking him like that, and in this way, Huck is apologetic and begins to realise that black people are not animals, and theyre humans, exactly as he is. So the fog scene, as an obstacle, teaches Huck about the immorality of racism in individuals and in the world.

Now, through reading your text, you are made to understand these same issues. Because YOU vicariously, also go on the same journey, but learn things about YOURSELF, the PEOPLE AROUND YOU, and the WORLD AROUND YOU.

Get it?

m000

HSC
N/A
diametric said:
I don't do Skryznecki but Huck Finn.
And it should generally be the same.
A physical journey is a movement from one place to another. That consequently brings about change and learning.

So, person A goes on journey. Encounters obstacles, which force person A to reconsider their understanding of themselves, and of the world around them. Consequently, learning is brought about.
For eg, in the fog scene in Huck Finn, Huck tries to trick Jim (Negro) into believing they had not been separated, Jim is deeply hurt that Huck would consider tricking him like that, and in this way, Huck is apologetic and begins to realise that black people are not animals, and theyre humans, exactly as he is. So the fog scene, as an obstacle, teaches Huck about the immorality of racism in individuals and in the world.

Now, through reading your text, you are made to understand these same issues. Because YOU vicariously, also go on the same journey, but learn things about YOURSELF, the PEOPLE AROUND YOU, and the WORLD AROUND YOU.

Get it?
Yup I get it :karate:

jackie07

HSC
hey. looks like u've already been helped by great answers.
if u basically answer the question, but focus on quotes refrences and devices u'll do fine.
good luck!

m000

HSC
N/A
jackie07 said:
hey. looks like u've already been helped by great answers.
if u basically answer the question, but focus on quotes refrences and devices u'll do fine.
good luck!
Thanks Jackie :)

KeepHoldingOn

HSC
m000 said:
umm crossing ther red sea, feliks skrzynecki and immigrants at central station 1951... thanks a lot for the help!
Umm just helping you here but do you have any related text???
these are kinda important

Because writing about 3 poems is not going to get you the marks,
you need to talk in depth about 2 poems (crossing the red sea and feliks for example) and have 2 related text that convey "physical journeys" which could be a movie, a song or a book etc.

Keep at it :read:
xx

fretsonfire74

HSC
Just something else, make sure you answer the question! Don't just do a big brain dump of all the knowledge you have about journeys, answer what they're asking and use this info to support it.

m000

HSC
N/A
KeepHoldingOn said:
Umm just helping you here but do you have any related text???
these are kinda important

Because writing about 3 poems is not going to get you the marks,
you need to talk in depth about 2 poems (crossing the red sea and feliks for example) and have 2 related text that convey "physical journeys" which could be a movie, a song or a book etc.

Keep at it :read:
xx

Yes, I have a movie and a short story although I don't really like my second supplementary text... Oh well...

I doubt it but I hope they ask us to explore one supplementary text!

KeepHoldingOn

HSC
LOL don't get your hopes up for a supplementary hehe :eek:
that's good that you've got your related text
just make sure you know the techniques really well
and you'll be fine

:) xx

m000

HSC
N/A
KeepHoldingOn said:
LOL don't get your hopes up for a supplementary hehe :eek:
that's good that you've got your related text
just make sure you know the techniques really well
and you'll be fine

:) xx
Dw, I'm fine with my second supplementary text now... Before I was just lazy and wanted to have a simple thesis statement but if I have a more comprehensive one my second supplementary text can be used...

Good luck to both of us!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)