Physics and Finance? (1 Viewer)

Carl Gauss

HSC
Hey Forum

I am currently in my second year of uni and thinking about transferring to physics. I have always found physics interesting and would like to know if it has any relation with the financial world. I have found some relationships, such as the Black-Scholes (used in finance) and the Heat Diffusion equations. Would it be a good idea to take these two majors in a commerce/science degree? What would be the advantages/disadvantages of combining physics with say finance and/or actuarial? Basically, my concern is how would physics help me with employment prospects in the financial area. An employer might ask something along like, you did actuarial studies and/or finance, but why physics... but yeh I have heard that many physicists become quants... not really sure how true this is. Also, what are some employment areas for physics majors other than finance?

Thanks

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Physics? Finance?

If you're interested in the mathematical portion of finance - then you take mathematics, not physics, I'd say.

If you're interested in the mathematical portion of physics - then I believe there is a major called "Mathematical Physics". I know someone doing that.

TheStallion

HSC
As above, you want a Maths major, not Physics, as interesting and fun as a Phys major is, Maths is far more useful to you for your situation.

Jonneeh

HSC
As above, you want a Maths major, not Physics, as interesting and fun as a Phys major is, Maths is far more useful to you for your situation.
Its true that doing maths would be somewhat more appropriate if he plans to do finance. But there is also no point in doing it just for the sake of "enhanced perceived employability".

Are you already doing BCOM/SCI?

If not are you willing to spend the extra year at uni + extra contact hours and maybe the need to overload to complete your degree on time. This will without a doubt restrict your availability in applying for work throughout your course.

To me it appears your end goal is a job in finance so I would say it'll better to gain work experience than an extra degree.

Side note: I'm majoring in chemistry whilst doing a commerce degree (probably accounting). Why? Not too sure myself.

Carl Gauss

HSC
Is Mathematical Physics available in Comm/Sci?
If not, is it possible to do Comm/AdvSci? -> never seen it
I like maths... maybe a FINS/MATH/PHYS combo?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I just checked - apparently the Mathematical Physics major is no longer offered.

Also, it's only an Advanced Science major.

So... you'd have to take a Physics, or Maths major.

Also, you are usually allowed two majors maximum - so... unless you want to spend more time at uni, usually, doing three majors - I'd suggest trimming it down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)