Physics Exam 2019 Questions Thread (1 Viewer)

Arrowshaft

HSC
Hey guys, in preparation for the physics exam, I thought I’d start a question thread where we ask each other questions and take turns answering them as revision, since we also don’t have many materials for revision. I’ll start off with the question:

Explain how the cosmic microwave background radiation (CMB) is consistent with the Big Bang Theory. (3 marks)

- dot points, or just any ideas are fine. It’s just a discussion, so please contribute!! Thanks.

Last edited:

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys, in preparation for the physics exam, I thought I’d start a question thread where we ask each other questions and take turns answering them as revision, since we also don’t have many materials for revision. I’ll start off with the question:

Explain how the cosmic microwave background radiation (CMB) is consistent with the Big Bang Theory. (3 marks)
You guys learn about Microwave background radiation?? :O

akkjen

HSC
N/A

shit, how do you answer this, ik what it is but not sure how in relates.
isn't it just a result of the universe cooling over time and the fact that it is uniform means it was a singularity at one point

Arrowshaft

HSC
Basically, the residual energy from the singularity that didn't form into matter was in the form of high energy gamma rays (that impeded the universe in the Dark Ages, 380 000-2 million years iirc). As the universe underwent inflation and after that expansion, due to the Doppler effect, the high energy gamma rays got stretched out so long due red shifting. In 1965, Penzias and Wilson predicted that if this were the case, according to the The Big Bang Theory the gamma rays should've stretched far into the microwave region with a temperature corresponding to 2.7K. They measured this CMB and it corresponded to their predictions, hence validating the The Big Bang Theory.

worldno17

HSC
N/A
Basically, the residual energy from the singularity that didn't form into matter was in the form of high energy gamma rays (that impeded the universe in the Dark Ages, 380 000-2 million years iirc).
i think you should say epoch of recombination instead of dark ages!

Arrowshaft

HSC
Someone else's turn to ask a question now! This is fun

akkjen

HSC
N/A
Basically, the residual energy from the singularity that didn't form into matter was in the form of high energy gamma rays (that impeded the universe in the Dark Ages, 380 000-2 million years iirc). As the universe underwent inflation and after that expansion, due to the Doppler effect, the high energy gamma rays got stretched out so long due red shifting. In 1965, Penzias and Wilson predicted that if this were the case, according to the The Big Bang Theory the gamma rays should've stretched far into the microwave region with a temperature corresponding to 2.7K. They measured this CMB and it corresponded to their predictions, hence validating the The Big Bang Theory.
do we need to know the exact years and names for this kind of stuff?

Arrowshaft

HSC
Hey actually, do you mind if I go again at asking the question? I have a juicy one that’s why, unless you guys wanna ask

Arrowshaft

HSC
So here's my question, you can take respond in bits or with points if you want.

Explain the role of technology in developing both the Standard Model of matter and our understanding in ONE other area of physics.

Also, yes I know this is from the sample questions, BUT they didn't provide a full response, rather points, so id like to hear your thoughts

akkjen

HSC
N/A

Explain the role of technology in developing both the Standard Model of matter and our understanding in ONE other area of physics.

Also, yes I know this is from the sample questions, BUT they didn't provide a full response, rather points, so id like to hear your thoughts
is this to do with particle accelerators?

Hscbuzman

HSC

This question is nice.
I would use my chosen area as Speed of Light as it is a dot point.
Galileo to Fizeau to Woods and say how technology has improved each measurement every time and helped us redefine the metre etc.
For Standard I would just say how technology in PA have helped us find Quarks mainly as well as Leptons and Forces (even the new kinda Higgs thing) and compare this to how we though Protons etc used to be fundamental.

Arrowshaft

HSC
This question is nice.
I would use my chosen area as Speed of Light as it is a dot point.
Galileo to Fizeau to Woods and say how technology has improved each measurement every time and helped us redefine the metre etc.
For Standard I would just say how technology in PA have helped us find Quarks mainly as well as Leptons and Forces (even the new kinda Higgs thing) and compare this to how we though Protons etc used to be fundamental.
Yeah, I’d also describe the job of linear accelerators such as the ones in SLAC, the discontinuation of cyclotrons and the favoration of synchrotrons. Also, the role of multi component detectors and calorimeters in determining the particles that are released. Otherwise, seems like a solid response!

Hscbuzman

HSC
Yeah, I’d also describe the job of linear accelerators such as the ones in SLAC, the discontinuation of synchrotrons and the favoration of cyclotrons. Also, the role of multi component detectors and calorimeters in determining the particles that are released. Otherwise, seems like a solid response!
Its hard to know what they truly want/would accept. I tend to think they want a comparison btw historical (Newton and earlier even) and now rather than 10 years ago and now. Thats what I get from the syllabus at least

akkjen

HSC
N/A
Yeah, I’d also describe the job of linear accelerators such as the ones in SLAC, the discontinuation of cyclotrons and the favoration of synchrotrons. Also, the role of multi component detectors and calorimeters in determining the particles that are released. Otherwise, seems like a solid response!
idk half of what you said here .... shit

Arrowshaft

HSC
Its hard to know what they truly want/would accept. I tend to think they want a comparison btw historical (Newton and earlier even) and now rather than 10 years ago and now. Thats what I get from the syllabus at least
Hmm, since it says explain I would’ve thought that they wouldn’t really care about comparisons, just features and characteristics of the technology used, that’s what I also get from their sample response. But you may be right

Hscbuzman

HSC
Hmm, since it says explain I would’ve thought that they wouldn’t really care about comparisons, just features and characteristics of the technology used, that’s what I also get from their sample response. But you may be right
Tbh the nine markers will be easy anyhow

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)