Physics HSC Study Guides & Textbooks (1 Viewer)

Best Physics Textbook?

• Total voters

hessie

we used contexts, which has a CRAP layout but the content is generally pretty good.

ripit

HSC
Looking for a really good Physics Textbook

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the best HSC textbook for Physics?

Thanks

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
Jacaranda is the best i've seen in terms of content and presentation.

If your after a study-guide, Excel is a lot better than Macquarie for Physics.

glass

HSC
The best physics textbook

Hey which physics textbooks out there are the best (for both prelim and hsc), in terms of answering all syllabus dot points and explanations are easy to understand? Im lookin to buy one for my younger sister =]

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Re: The best physics textbook

Check around the forums. Although I don't personally do Physics, some say that the Jacaranda book is pretty good.

AlvinCY

HSC

Kujah said:
Check around the forums. Although I don't personally do Physics, some say that the Jacaranda book is pretty good.
There's no guarantee for Prelim textbooks to be good or not, not many people at my school used textbooks for prelim. We were however, given a textbook, I believe it was a McMillan textbook. Don't think I found that very useful at all. I stuck with my Excel study guide for Prelim. It wasn't too difficult.

As for HSC, I definitely agrees with Kujah on that one. Jacaranda is the best physics textbook out there, which answers dot point clearly, it is easy to understand if you're willing it sit down and read it. Graphics and extra information is awesome in that textbook.

:)

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC

Don't know about prelim specifically, but for the HSC I highly recommend Jacaranda

It had great clear explanations and also had some extra depth to broaden your understanding

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A

This link at HSC Online lists all recommended textbooks for HSC and Prelim Physics:

http://hsc.csu.edu.au/physics/teachers/2340/phys_teachers.htm

I have used both Physics 1 & 2 Jacaranda books. They are very good at addressing the dot points but in some places are not as rigorous as other text books. They both have really nice coloured pictures that certainly help with understanding (especially if you a visual person like me).

Spotlight Physics 1 & 2 are pretty much summaries but also cover the dot points very well, but do not include a lot of explanation. These are best used in conjunction with something else (like Jacaranda).

Excel books are summaries and good for reviewing and remembering things.

Physics Context 1 & 2 (if I remember rightly) are also very good with the dot points and in some cases give far more detail than Physics 1 & 2 which can help with understanding.

There is no 1 best book because they all have their strengths and weaknesses. The best thing to do is see what your school library has and use that for reference and pick another book to use at home (or if you are rich or planning to become a Physics teacher, buy all of them ;)).

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC

Just voicing my support for Jacaranda!! Excellent book, <3 the 'dot point' contents page. :)

Although Macquarie and MacMillan are good too.

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC

my school uses macmillan. i have an excel..

sounds like i should get a jacaranda. :\

my school also says theres a "dot point" notebook which we should get, as it's really really good... ( sorry but i don't know the actual name. teachers just call it 'dot point notebook') =/

PrettyVacant

HSC

timlay said:

my school also says theres a "dot point" notebook which we should get, as it's really really good... ( sorry but i don't know the actual name. teachers just call it 'dot point notebook') =/
Syllabus? Just d/l off Board of Studies website. It's 80 or so pages and covers all stage 6 content.

jaaaaay

HSC

JACARANDA!!!

in my opinion, excel isn't that great at all... =/ but the others you guys mentioned... such as macquarie, physics in context, macmillan, etc i think you could use on top of the very trust worthy jacaranda =]

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC

Oh good. Cos I think the textbook my school gave me is Jacaranda. ... I think. *checks*

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC

timaly said:
Lolz, it's actual name is 'Dot Point.' It's a book that has heaps of question so when you answer them they become your 'dot point' summaries! :)

HSC
N/A

timlay said:

Macmillan's okay; Excel is okay.
Jesus, just read the Macmillan and you can kick anyone's ass... but nooo, you have to buy extra books, and David Fan will still get to pwn you (though, it must be noted that he does a shitload of tutoring, and what worse than at that infernal JAMES RUSE!?!?!?).

The book's name is "Dot Point", and heck is it pretty shit.
The questions are alright, though... it's good practice.

I have made use of Excel. In my personal opinion, it's not absolutely good, nor is it terrible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)