Physics in B. Med Sci (1 Viewer)

luxslash89

HSC
I'll PROBABLY be going to UTS B. Med Sci starting this year.
My question is, is physics studied in yr1?
I've observed the course description of both UTS and USYD, and the only subject that seems to imply Physics in UTS (yr1) is Physical Aspects of Nature in the spring semester, whereas in USYD, there seems to be more focused study of Physics from yr1... :confused:

And there seems to be no Physics after Physical Aspects of Nature just by the looks of it in UTS Med Sci... :mad1:

And also, if I'm preparing to apply for dentistry whenever that may be in the future, is strength in Physics required? In other words, if I'm weak in Physics,
would that make it difficult for me if I study dentistry? :confused:

Lastly, if physics is a part of studying dentistry, what topics should I cover to be prepared?

Any advice would be of great value to me guys... THANX !!

Last edited:

krayzie_

HSC
Yes, Physical Aspects of Nature is studied in first year. It is Physics with a flashy name.

I don't know about dentistry but you need to sit GAMSAT test (once you've completed your b.medsci) and that has a physics component in it.

Physics at UTS is alright. Les is one of the main lecturers and his cool. BTW I didn't do physics during the HSC and still managed a high range D for it.

But yeah some advice about the B.Medical Science at UTS.. don't do it unless you really have too - from what I've seen being in the third year. It's so broad and you learn the same things in different subjects. Job prospects = low at best. Maybe try and have a safety net, say do a double degree or make sure you have the GPA to get into one of the graduate programs, such as dentistry.

Last edited:

luxslash89

HSC
Shanks a million for the reply K v(>.<)/

I am actually setting my goal to entering the Dent programme in Griffith Uni in 2010, meaning I will apply this year.

I noticed you saying how I need some physics to sit GAMSAT... ONCE I'VE COMPLETED MY B. MED SCI.... :speechless:

By saying this, were you unintentionally implying that it's hard for me to get into undergrauate dent programmes after doing 1 yr of Med Sci??,

or were you just assuming I wanted to do dent after completing 3 yrs of Med Sci??

I have chosen to do Med Sci, because after observing the course descriptions of various science degrees, I've decided it's the best one

that I think I'll be most suited (less bored) to study :spam:

Oh, and how well do you think I'll have to perform in semester 1 (GPA) to get a good chance of entering dent programmes?

(I know it's competitive... (=_= ) )

Last edited:

krayzie_

HSC
Oh I thought you meant you were going to finish B.Medical Science then transfer into USYD dentristy program.

I assumed you were going to do 3 years oif medical science. BTW transferring after first year should be real real competitive. So yeah, if you stuff up first year with your marks.

Medical Science is alright but your gonna hate some of the subjects because they are so boring and repetitive,

Yeah I do know - you should aim HD if you can or high range D's to get a place after first year, but yeah first year Science degree subjects aren't that tough and if your smart and got the brain you'll do well. If not then yeah.. HD, D ain't that easy in Science since you have a marked practical component as well.

Are you good with Chemistry? When I was doing the degree, I shit you not, plentiful people failed chemistry 1 and chemistry 2. Physics = ok, Human anatomy = good, cells genetics evo = alright similar to biology. CHEMISTRY = hard.

Did you do HSC chem then should be all good, but if you didn't then make sure you don't fall behind, cos all the pre work + post work and reports become a bit much if you don't know much in chemistry :D

BigDk

HSC
i know people who studied 1 day for chem1 and 2, they still got PS and CR. yes it is that easy

luxslash89

HSC
i know people who studied 1 day for chem1 and 2, they still got PS and CR. yes it is that easy
hmm... is that so... still im not gonna take ANY chances of slacking off. if i slack, i might havta waste another miserable f**kn year, and worse, in yr 2 its obviously gonna get harder to achieve gud grades as yr 1...

more importantly, i gotta GET THE F**K OUT OF MY UNCLE's PLACE!!! (where im virtually stuck at the moment...) :burn:
i hate it here :burn::burn::burn:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)