• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

physics or maths 2U? (1 Viewer)

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
Bookie said:
Dude, I'm pretty sure we dont have to do that in Year 11 physics.
Aye, well it was in my physics textbook "Spotlight Physics" (a curve, not a linear graph), which specified using integral calculus.

The textbook does have extension topics though, but usually they are labelled that, while this was at the start of the chapter.

btw Kadlil/klaw, we did have curved graphs in our first physics exam...

This might be just our school though, as only 2 people in the grade dont do at least advanced maths.

Last edited:

rama_v

HSC
I think its good to have at least a 2 unit level of knoledge of maths for yr 12 physics. I mean the actual maths you do iin physics is not hard, just subbing numbers into formulas, but then if you don't understand where they get the equations from, what differentiation means etc., its much harder to understand whats going on in physics problems. In addition some of the velocity and projectiles stuff (the latter in 3 Unit maths) make understanding physics projectile motion much easier. But thats not to say that people who dont do 2 unit maths cant understand physics

klaw

HSC
rama_v said:
I think its good to have at least a 2 unit level of knoledge of maths for yr 12 physics. I mean the actual maths you do iin physics is not hard, just subbing numbers into formulas, but then if you don't understand where they get the equations from, what differentiation means etc., its much harder to understand whats going on in physics problems. In addition some of the velocity and projectiles stuff (the latter in 3 Unit maths) make understanding physics projectile motion much easier. But thats not to say that people who dont do 2 unit maths cant understand physics
yeah I agree with the proj motion thing... we were setting up a yr 12 phys proj motion experiment today and the teacher just explained that the time it takes for the projectile to hit the ground does not change if the velocity changes. I understood it because in 3U projectile motion, y''=-g

x_dreama

God before evrything else
HSC
wow that's two extreme opinions with a few agreeing to my teacher's decision lol.. >_<!
I'm confused though, are yah guys saying maths 2u gets harder or physics when you compare the two??
hmm yeh i realise i'm one of the few people choosing not to do maths at all but i chose physics because i wanted to learn about cosmic engine hehe :rolleyes:
well i'm going into year 12 with 13units aww gosh iono how i'm gonna cope with that!~

klaw

HSC
13 units isnt' too bad... I'd be doing 13 units next yr....

P

pLuvia

klaw said:
13 units isnt' too bad... I'd be doing 13 units next yr....
same, but a lot of people are saying it's a lot.. ><", which it probably is~ but better to be safe then sorry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)