• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Physics prac - need help (2 Viewers)

luckyimpact

HSC
I got a physics practical coming up in 2 weeks. Can anyone tell me how could i study for it? cause im never really good with skills test or practs =/

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
How do you study for a Physics practical? You can't learn how to turn the Bunsen burner on in Physics can you? Or maybe it's how to push one of those trolley things. :p

I dunno, but the only thing I could think of is to study how to write your Analysis and Conclusion, and remembering to include Reliability, Accuracy and Validity. What prac are you doing?

luckyimpact

HSC
umm i dont know. they give you a random prac on the day. its the first assessment i got for physics prelim so im kinda nervous.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
  • Remember to include the independent variables (What do I change?), dependent variables (What do I observe?) and controlled variable (what has been kept the same) in your method
  • Aim, hypothesis, equipment (optional), method, conclusion
Hope that helped. You have plenty of time to think about it and write drafts. Good luck :).

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
luckyimpact said:
umm i dont know. they give you a random prac on the day. its the first assessment i got for physics prelim so im kinda nervous.
What sub-topic of physics are you doing atm (Heating and cooling, Nuclear Technology etc.)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Probably moving about or something. :p

But doesn't the teacher usually write the aim, method, materials required etc for you? Our teacher does. :)

me121

Premium Member
HSC
go to the lab's and practice, practice, practice.

also make sure you know the work and know how to write up the practical, this of course depends if they are going to ask you to write the prac up. if they will then practice this. mostly they will ask you slightly different to what you expect, but at least prepare, by thinking of what you will write.

dpospination

HSC
Aerath said:
How do you study for a Physics practical? You can't learn how to turn the Bunsen burner on in Physics can you? Or maybe it's how to push one of those trolley things. :p

I dunno, but the only thing I could think of is to study how to write your Analysis and Conclusion, and remembering to include Reliability, Accuracy and Validity. What prac are you doing?
'

lol, u rarely use a bunsen burner in physics :D

Sarah160

HSC
So basically you should be studying the work and equations for the topic that you're currently doing, do as many practice questions as you can because chances are that the prac won't stray far from your current topic.
Next make sure you're familiar with SI units, and how to actually put your method together. Practice writing methods if you need to, with discussions and conclusions in particular.
If you don't know what the prac is you really can't do much else than that, so just relax and treat it as a learning experience :)

locked.on

HSC
Sarah160 said:
If you don't know what the prac is you really can't do much else than that, so just relax and treat it as a learning experience :)
Agreed.

Better to make mistakes now, while it's still Preliminary and when the don't count towards HSC. That way, you'd have learnt from your mistakes and be ready to take on the assessment tasks in the HSC year.

Good luck! :)

nick3157

Not Actually A Member
HSC
You need to be able to look at a question in a test, know what syllabus dot point it is relevant to, and know what prac you did for that dot point. Sorry, but pracs are hard to remember and theres nothing for it but revision.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Doubt it - they might go to the same school. :p
But either way - there's no reason for that sorta thing.

luckyimpact

HSC
Okay, thanks everyone. wow i never knew this much people would give me help hahahaha i thought it would be like 1 or 2 people. well anyways thanks i appreciate it.

That Science Fair project guide website is pretty good thanks alot ! :)

fjnpenguin

HSC
our teacher told us to study all the expirments that we had done in class till a particular date. i hope that helps:)

dpospination

HSC
its important in the HSC for the sciences to know your practicals well, they will usually always ask a question about a prac, the method used, the reults obtained, etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)