Physics Predictions/Thoughts (1 Viewer)

Qiaochu Chen

HSC
@Qiaochu Chen this is how I did it.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.
I think you can't cancel out the masses because in the centripetal force the mass is the mass of the car (since it is the car that spinning) and in gravitational force the mass is the mass of the bob?
Correct me too if I'm wrong.

Arrowshaft

HSC
I think you can't cancel out the masses because in the centripetal force the mass is the mass of the car (since it is the car that spinning) and in gravitational force the mass is the mass of the bob?
Correct me too if I'm wrong.
Oh that’s right! Damn, I didn't consider that.

Balajanovski

HSC
@Qiaochu Chen this is how I did it.
By resolving forces, we see that the centripetal force points inwards, and the bead experiences a downward acceleration.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.
That's exactly my calculations too.
However, I argued from the perspective of an opposite fictitious force from inside the car's non-inertial frame of reference.
Same result though.

For @Qiaochu Chen's argument, that's right.
However, if you argue from the perspective of a ficticious force from inside the car, the ficticious acceleration on the bob must be the car's centripetal acceleration yet in the opposite direction.
So, .

Doing a free body diagram on the bob, then solving using simultaneous equations you still get @Arrowshaft's equation.
Hence, from there you can cancel the bob's mass.

Also, @Arrowshaft is still right if you argue from the perspective of the bob itself.
Ignore the motion of the car. The bob is still moving in uniform circular motion. To do so, it must have a centripetal acceleration and force, which can be calculated based on its velocity (car's velocity) and its own mass.
The net force on the bob is the sum of the tension of the string and its mass. And the net force on the bob is its centripetal force.

Last edited:

Arrowshaft

HSC
However, I argued from the perspective of an opposite fictitious force from inside the car's non-inertial frame of reference.
Same result though.
Fictitious force as in inertial force or centrifugal? Because I saw the Dot Point book use inertia for a similar question.

Last edited:

Arrowshaft

HSC
Same result though.

For @Qiaochu Chen's argument, that's right.
However, if you argue from the perspective of a ficticious force from inside the car, the ficticious acceleration on the bob must be the car's centripetal acceleration yet in the opposite direction.
So, .

Doing a free body diagram on the bob, then solving using simultaneous equations you still get @Arrowshaft's equation.
Hmm. Seems like Jimmy got the right answer though, we didn't consider the individual masses.

Arrowshaft

HSC
Hang on... that can't be right actually @Qiaochu Chen, I saw the dot point book had a pretty much identical question, and they obtained the same result as using . Did they do it wrong as well? I'm confused now.

Balajanovski

HSC
Hang on... that can't be right actually @Qiaochu Chen, I saw the dot point book had a pretty much identical question, and they obtained the same result as using . Did they do it wrong as well? I'm confused now.
Jimmy is wrong.

As said in my previous post, ignore the motion of the car and look at the bob as its own independent object in uniform circular motion.
It must have a centripetal force.
This force is the net force acting on it (sum of string tension & its weight).

It would be unreasonable to say that the centripetal force of the bob alone is the net force / centripetal force of the car.

Arrowshaft

HSC
Jimmy is wrong.

As said in my previous post, ignore the motion of the car and look at the bob as its own independent object in uniform circular motion.
It must have a centripetal force.
This force is the net force acting on it (sum of string tension & its weight).

It would be unreasonable to say that the centripetal force of the bob alone is the net force / centripetal force of the car.
yes lol, I corrected myself in the above post. I was too quick and doubted myself.

Arrowshaft

HSC
I was going to mention tension, however I didn't because I felt it was unecessary to the net forces, because a component of the centripetal force really is a manifestation of the tension in the string. Although, the oblique linear force (net force) is due to tension.

Arrowshaft

HSC
Well fuck. I was having a good day and now I just want to kms.😖
Don't worry man, happens to the best of us. Also, you probably still are getting a band 6 anyway. And I doubt you’ll lose more than 1 mark.

Arrowshaft

HSC
Also, did anyone feel the sample questions were a lot harder than the actual questions provided?

Arrowshaft

HSC
I was expecting two 9 markers, maybe that’s why. The actual nine marker provided also had a calculation element to it so it withdrew on the theory a bit. I just feel it was easier, because I hate waffling about theory, I prefer actual mathematical analysis.

Husky

HSC
I keep forgetting that everyone on this forum is a state ranker lol. I felt like that this exam was really difficult, a lot harder than anything in the excel books and previous years... like wtf even was multiple choice I think I got like 10/20 for it lmao. But I think I did okay on everything else except the second last question :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)