Physics Predictions/Thoughts (3 Viewers)

Goldattacker40000

HSC
Would we need to be able to explain the Zeeman effect if we had to state limitations of Bohr's model?

HSC
When you are calculating the energy required to move a satellite higher in orbit do you use the change in GPE or change in total energy way?

Goldattacker40000

HSC
When you are calculating the energy required to move a satellite higher in orbit do you use the change in GPE or change in total energy way?
Total energy way I think cause GPE way just tells you how much GPE it gained and doesn't account for the net decrease in kinetic energy of the satellite too.

Goldattacker40000

HSC
how do u do total energy way again?
I don't think the formula is given in the formula sheet but it's the E=-GMm/2r formula for total energy. Just find the initial value of E using the initial orbital radius given and subtract it from the final value of E using the new orbital radius given.

carrotsss

HSC
if you're moving it into a new circular orbit then its the change in total energy, if its just moved up (and will fall into an elliptical orbit) then its just the change in GPE. 99% of the time its asking for the first one though

Rattlehead15

HSC
if you're moving it into a new circular orbit then its the change in total energy, if its just moved up (and will fall into an elliptical orbit) then its just the change in GPE. 99% of the time its asking for the first one though
What is change in total energy?

Trippzy

HSC
wait I always thought they ask for change in GPE. do u have a question which highlights the first part I haven't ever seen in the use for 1/2U

Goldattacker40000

HSC
what would r be in this case?
The initial value of r would be 6800km and the final value of r would be 42000km, you jusy multiply the denominator of the expression for U by 2 as the total energy of the satellite is given by E=1/2(U). Make sure to convert the values of r to meters

Trippzy

HSC
The initial value of r would be 6800km and the final value of r would be 42000km, you jusy multiply the denominator of the expression for U by 2 as the total energy of the satellite is given by E=1/2(U). Make sure to convert the values of r to meters
so what do I sub in for r in U? 6800km or 42000km ☠

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)