Physics Predictions/Thoughts (1 Viewer)

liamkk112

HSC
View attachment 41243
Can someone explain why the answer is D and not C? (question from PHS)
the question is screwed; nuclei heavier than iron will have an increase in mass in fusion reactions, as energy will need to be absorbed for the nuclei to combine. nuclei lighter than iron will have a decrease in mass as energy will be released as the nuclei combine. so technically C and D are both correct, depending on which nuclei are fusing.

btw, the heavier and lighter than iron is to do with the fact that iron nuclei are the most stable and hence have the most binding energy per nucleon. then all elements lighter release energy by fusion, all events heavier absorb energy by fusion (classic graph)

IMG_1316.png

Interdice

HSC
Oh god. Module 8 is awful. The textbook is awful. Please give good resources

carrotsss

HSC
Oh god. Module 8 is awful. The textbook is awful. Please give good resources
i only just discovered now but the scienceready youtube channel is amazing, I’ve been using it to brush up on the content heavy things that I’m lacking in and it’s worked really well

liamkk112

HSC
Pretty sure this is also why Stars become supernovas after they form iron core, because iron cant release energy to balance the inward gravity so the star collapses.
ye that would make sense

abelsj01

HSC
is the definition of an ampere the one where two current carrying conductors of infinite length placed one metre apart blah blah blah or is it simply I = q/t? science ready says that the former is the old definition and the latter is the new one but ive been taught it as the former definition

SB257426

Very Important User
HSC
is the definition of an ampere the one where two current carrying conductors of infinite length placed one metre apart blah blah blah or is it simply I = q/t? science ready says that the former is the old definition and the latter is the new one but ive been taught it as the former definition
its the carrying conductors definition. Its required for us to know the relation between the ampere and newtons third law

SB257426

Very Important User
HSC
wait what I forgot about this can you explain
Sure !

So basically the definition of the ampere is "A constant current magnitude which when flowing in 2 parallel conductors of infinite length, of negligible cross sectional area and placed 1 m apart, would produce a force of 2*10^-7 N/m between these conductors"

Its just linked to newtons third law because the magnitude of the force experienced by both conductors is the same. Thats pretty much it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)