Physics vs biology in terms of amount of content? (1 Viewer)

Danoraptor

HSC
Uni Grad
My marks in year 11:

Physics - 72%
Biology - 88%

I like physics more and I dont want to have to memorise too much, but my physics marks are much lower :(??? any suggestions

sleepyair

HSC
Maybe you're spending too much time memorising Biology instead of studying for physics?
If you're feeling risky, drop bio and all that extra time can be spent on your weaker subjects.

hjed

HSC
My marks in year 11:

Physics - 72%
Biology - 88%

I like physics more and I don't want to have to memorise too much, but my physics marks are much lower :(??? any suggestions
Physics has a lot of content, but it does scale better than bio (which I haven't done so I don't know how much content that has, I've heard it is more). It depends if you think you can improve your physic mark or not.

BlugyBlug

HSC
Physics has far less content, but is harder to understand/wrap your head around. Once you understand it, though, and have memorised key bits of info to bring you into the b6 range, it is a high-scaling breeze.

Biology is plain memorising/rote learning, and is for the most part conceptually very easy.

I did all 3 sciences for almost 2 years, but dropped bio right before my trial.

nexusbrah

Harvey Specter of IB
HSC
I hear people at my school telling me how boring bio is.

It depends at the end of the day if you really enjoy Physics you will improve :)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Physics is crazy conceptual...if you don't understand the concepts and stuff, it's harder to do well. Ultimately, if you like physics better, you will be more inclined to study it harder, and improve your marks.

Try both, with equal applied effort and see which one is better :) I heard the year 12 bio course is interesting (if you're into genetics!)

Also remember your year 11 marks aren't an accurate indicator of your performance in year 12.

Jimmy2064

HSC
I do both, and I can safely say Bio content FAR outweighs physics content. Biology HSC is pretty much rote learn your notes and regurgitate. Physics, while having less content is much more conceptual and will require you to apply your knowledge to, sometimes, abstract scenarios. But it's not as bad as it is worked up to be either, and much more interesting. It's aligning is also pretty good compared to bio, ie. a raw of 77 in the HSC would almost equate to a band 6.

Candidate

HSC
I do both, and I can safely say Bio content FAR outweighs physics content. Biology HSC is pretty much rote learn your notes and regurgitate. Physics, while having less content is much more conceptual and will require you to apply your knowledge to, sometimes, abstract scenarios. But it's not as bad as it is worked up to be either, and much more interesting. It's aligning is also pretty good compared to bio, ie. a raw of 77 in the HSC would almost equate to a band 6.
I disagree. Bio isn't a rote learn subject and it's quite conceptual too (not as much as physics obviously). Heck, there was a q in 2010 asking about how knowledge of the eye and ear has facilitated the development of 3D film technology.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)