• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Physics (1 Viewer)

nelses

HSC
[FONT=&quot]5. Electromagnetic waves have potential for future communication technologies and data storage technologies[/FONT]

§[FONT=&quot]identify types of communication data that are stored or transmitted
in digital form[/FONT]

§[FONT=&quot]identify data sources, gather, process and present information from secondary sources to identify areas of current research and use the available evidence to discuss some of the underlying physical principles used in one application of physics related to waves, such as:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]– Global Positioning System[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]– CD technology [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]– the internet (digital process)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]– DVD technology[/FONT]

I soon will have an assessment on this syllabus point, but even with hours of research, I ended up with nothing. Absolutely nothing relevant to do with the "application of physics related to waves"

For GPS I found out it uses phase modulation? But I don't quite understand it. Does anyone have any tips or advice for where I can get on track?

747captain

HSC
N/A
@ my school, we are covering this dot-point with an actual assessment task (research assignment).

I have elected to do GPS, and like you nelses, even with hours of research, I ended up with nothing myself. Nothing relevant to do with the "application of physics related to waves".

My assisnment requires us to also find out what types of waves properties (e.g. relfection, refraction, etc) are used in the technology (of GPS systems), and I cannot find any information on that area of research either. In fact, until i read your post nelses, I haven't even come across any information regarding phase modulation!

If anyone out there could gie us both a hand, I think we'd greatly apprectiate it.

Cheers,
Russell

misbahf

You eat bugs.
HSC
nelses said:
§[FONT=&quot]identify data sources, gather, process and present information from secondary sources to identify areas of current research and use the available evidence to discuss some of the underlying physical principles used in one application of physics related to waves, such as:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]– Global Positioning System[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]– CD technology [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]– the internet (digital process)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]– DVD technology[/FONT]

For GPS I found out it uses phase modulation? But I don't quite understand it. Does anyone have any tips or advice for where I can get on track?
HEy, i;m doing exactly the same thing at the moment, ummmm these are some useful sites for GPS, but there isn't much, your better offf going into books.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gps.htm

This has the basics, pretty good though.

http://www.eng.unsw.edu.au/research/schools/survey.cfm

This has areas that UNSW is doing reserach into concerning, you kind of have to decode it, there are many areas but i only took a couple.

Anyway, i hoped i helped and good luck with this assignment/assessment.

xDeadlyx

HSC
§identify data sources, gather, process and present information from secondary sources to identify areas of current research and use the available evidence to discuss some of the underlying physical principles used in one application of physics related to waves, such as:
– Global Positioning System
– CD technology
– the internet (digital process)
– DVD technology

I ve got the same assessment coming up on monday....i also need help with the GPS >< help anyone?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)