Physics (1 Viewer)

desiredusername

HSC
Is Physics really hard?

People around me keep telling me physics is a hard subject.

Is Physics really a subject for smart people only?

What if a there's a student who enjoys learning physics should the sutdent pick up physics?

Hallatia

HSC
desiredusername said:
Is Physics really hard?

What if a there's a student who enjoys learning physics should the sutdent pick up physics?
I enjoy physics, I am not sure if I did before I picked it but yes it is really hard, it is only for people who have any potentional of understanding and coping with the concepts, a good level of maths also comes in handy

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
I love physics, its great... and elegant. The main thing is not to pick up a physics text book ie Spotlight PHYSICS and turn to a page, look at it and think, holly shit! It gets easy if you can understand the principals.
EINSTEIN once said himself;

"If you present the underling part of your theory to a child, and he does not understand it, then the theory is wearthless"

Some where along the lines of that, dont beat me up if im not 100% word for word.
So if you can understand the underlining theory you should be able to understand most of it.
Also dont be discouraged by the math! Einstein also said;

"Maths is just the book keeping"

But generally, I will not lie, you do have to be pritty proficient in Maths.

BUT I ASURE YOU, IT IS WORTH IT!

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
If your not a person that can accept some really random ideas don't do it.

As to Kurt Physics

"Maths is book keep" Einstein was a realatively bad mathematician at the maths he was doing. He had to get his wife to do alot of it for him:)

Hallatia

HSC
kurt.physics said:
I love physics, its great... and elegant. The main thing is not to pick up a physics text book ie Spotlight PHYSICS and turn to a page, look at it and think, holly shit! It gets easy if you can understand the principals.
EINSTEIN once said himself;

"If you present the underling part of your theory to a child, and he does not understand it, then the theory is wearthless"

Some where along the lines of that, dont beat me up if im not 100% word for word.
So if you can understand the underlining theory you should be able to understand most of it.
Also dont be discouraged by the math! Einstein also said;

"Maths is just the book keeping"

But generally, I will not lie, you do have to be pritty proficient in Maths.

BUT I ASURE YOU, IT IS WORTH IT!

your english needs help, but thanks for that, I am so sure most people would not be able to understand most of physics, I cant and I am doing it in my HSC. By Einstein's logic; most physics'theories are worthless or wearthless

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Sorry, i must improve my english! That explains why i am in 8E2 (yr 8 english 2)

Lucky i'm good at maths and physics :p because if i wasn't then i would be stuffed!!!

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
i did physics in yr 11.... and half a term in yr 12... i dropped it and piked it up 3 weeks ago.. cause i dropped 3unit english :S.... Physics is easy... seriously... if you put the hard work in... the teacher made my assesment worth 60% and i got 94% with only 3 weeks to memorise 3 modules..... so yer.... but then again i did die for 3weeks

cuppy

HSC
N/A
physics aint that bad, once you get to uni thats when it gets tough ><

if you enjoy physics and put in the effort it won't be 'hard', but this applies to all subjects and not just physics.

Last edited:

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
desiredusername said:
Is Physics really hard?

NO it is not hard, Physics has been deliberately dumbed down that even a person who doesn't study Maths can succeed in it.
It's partially society based and history based now.

Ten years ago I would agree with them (1995 - Gauss's Law & Mechanics and so on ... :eek:) but in the 2006 and 2007 Physics course (and probably to 2001), it is MUCH easier. They've spent too long in the past. The people who say it is hard haven't even seen the course content.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
I would say it certainly depends on your teacher and how well they are able to convey and explain the new concepts. If they are a teacher who is stuck in the old syllabus then that will make it hard.

cuppy

HSC
N/A
man did they teach Gauss's Law and mechanics in high school ten years ago?!

:O

i had to endure it in my first semester of uni and let me tell you it was NOT fun. high school physics is a cinch compared to what they throw at you in uni.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
alcalder said:
I would say it certainly depends on your teacher and how well they are able to convey and explain the new concepts. If they are a teacher who is stuck in the old syllabus then that will make it hard.
Teacher made us do a Photoelectric effect first-hand investigation ... Didn't like it, first HSC practical I stuffed up, took too long.
I have an auto-rejection mechanism of anything removed from the syllabus and any curricula not related to my studies.

So I'm trying to figure out how to mention Wein's Law in my answers without going in detail about it in Astrophysics with regards to spectra.

cuppy said:
man did they teach Gauss's Law and mechanics in high school ten years ago?!

:O

i had to endure it in my first semester of uni and let me tell you it was NOT fun. high school physics is a cinch compared to what they throw at you in uni.
I flicked threw a very old Physics textbook at the Paramatta Library which was last revised in 1995 and I was shocked at the amount and difficulty of content.

So imma enjoy Physics when I can :) ... then avoid it in university if need to.
How nice of the Physics teacher to give us HSC 1995 Physics questions in our Year 11 Yearly exam :(, in particular Q 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10 & 12 :eek: ... almost whole class failed, no one got a decent mark.

desiredusername

HSC
Thanks guys,

I'm currently doing Physics, many have said physics is difficult. I don't think physics is that difficult as many have said. A few weeks ago I was a bit concerned because I thought our teacher water-down our course, everything just seemed a bit too easy.

I can't wait until uni, when physics starts to become harder. ^^

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
desiredusername said:
Thanks guys,

I'm currently doing Physics, many have said physics is difficult. I don't think physics is that difficult as many have said. A few weeks ago I was a bit concerned because I thought our teacher water-down our course, everything just seemed a bit too easy.

I can't wait until uni, when physics starts to become harder. ^^
HSC Physics is too easy buddy.
Wait till uni, where you'll be introduced to thermodynamics and a few other new topics.

If you thought 'Moving About' was a juggle, wait till you see real Mechanics at uni.
But here's a taste of Physics at uni:

http://www.physclips.unsw.edu.au/
By Joe Wolfe at UNSW

EDIT: wow it's been almost a year now that im in engineering.
physics is easy, theyve reduced the standards of physics to be the same with all non-extension subjects.

want to see something really hard in the hsc?
hsc mathematics extension 2.
now thats a real beef to handle.

Last edited:

karnage

HSC
Physics and Economics are the subjects i can relate to and see in the real world which is why i find both interesting. With physics, well its hardness is all relative to the person doing it. I dont think its extremely hard and horrible, it can be challenging at times e.g. grasping certain concepts but thats what makes it interesting.

Its not really full on insane calculations as some people put it as when i was picking my subjects for the hsc. So far its been using certain formulas and subbing in values to get an answer and applying concepts you know to use the formulas properly.

It is an under rated subject at my school i reckon in yr 12, glad to see theres more yr 11s doing physics for next year. I know some of my mates would have loved it, but due to academic performance or timetable issues they werent allowed to do it :(

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
For me, Physics is probably the most interesting subject, so far. So yeah, I guess it isn't hard, yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)