Physiology 1A, 6 or 7 contact hours a week? (1 Viewer)

Tim035

HSC
Under course description for physiology 1A it quotes 6 hours a week.
But when I look at the classes offered their is a 3 hour lab, a 1 hour tutorial and a group of three 1 hour lectures which must be chosen. This makes 7 contact hours?!?

Edit (also):
Are microbiology lectures good? Or are they recorded?
Because I need to position one more lab in my timetable and it can either go in on tuesday, meaning I'd have to miss a microbio lecture, or it has to go in a wednesday but this would make wednesday a 9 hour no breaks day for me!!!

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Ok, for physiology, I think it is up to 7 contact hours in SOME weeks. This is because you won't have labs every week. You have it in some weeks only.

Microbiology will be different next year (2008). Fundamentals of Microbiology and Immunology is no longer being offered in 2008. Instead, Microbiology 1 MICR2011 will be offered for the first time in Session 1. NO other Level II microbiology course will be offered. A new course with a proposed name of "Cell Biology" will be offered in Session 2.

The course coordinator said to me because there is only 1 second year microbiology course on offer from next year, he will have to get rid of all the boring stuff and teach only "interesting stuffs". So it's looking good. they may combine the best aspects of Fundamentals of micro and immuno and Micro 1 and teach you that.

Micro 1 lectures will be recorded.

I may tutor Micro 1 :) Who knows! :D

tarsus

Dead Apostle
HSC
All of a sudden, micobiology looks much more attractive. :D

But... ahhhh crap in a hat! No physio labs for those weeks means a long wait for those physio lectures at five! 5 hours for me. Probably the same for Timmy.

Hey Survivor39, approximately how much is "some"?

Last edited:

Tim035

HSC
Hey sup Will :D

Ok thats interesting to know with the physiology labs.
I've managed to squeeze everything in on my timetable now, still with thursdays off and a 1 hour gap breaking up my wednesday so won't have to skip any lectures; well to start off with anyway :p

Only thing I'm really not looking forward to is histology, I've heard some bad reports about it and it has TWO labs a week grr..

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
tarsus, I am not exactly sure how many free labs you will get. I think it is every second week or every 3 weeks.

Histology - I've done that course and yes it has two labs. The course is very interesting because Patrick lectures almost everything including both lectures and labs. He has very, very good lecture notes so you don't need to take notes yourself and just need to listen in lectures. The amount you will need to learn is a lot so make sure you study consistently.

In the lab, please draw everything carefully because you will only have your drawings to study for the practical exam, where he will show you a cell or a structure and you will need to write down the name and/or function. For the theory exam, you need to know things from the lecture notes.

Tim035

HSC
I remember doing a Little bit of histology in BIOS1011, I really suck at drawing which in turn made the prac test interesting lol. I seriously thought about and looked into doing something other than histology like biotech or organic chem but when I talked to some people at the med department they strongly suggested I followed the course program especially with my current WAM, which was kind of up lifting.
Is it anything like anatomy? where there is not a heap of detail to remember but a HUGE number of structures/ associated function to learn? I.e. Another wrote learning course.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
It's similar to anatomy but not completely. You need to learn to draw and label well because the theory exams always have one to two drawing questions and most of those marks are designated to labelling. I am also a crap drawer so I rely on on my labelling skill.

The good thing about this course is that there are only 4 assessments - mid prac, mid theory, final prac, final theory. So unlike other courses with weekly tests and reports, you have less assessments.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
If you're not a vivid drawer, Microbiology is the best way to go.

Haha I found every aspect of MICR2011 and MICR2201 interesting, there was abit of overlap at the start of MICR2011 lectures, which in a way means no need to study for those sections.

You'll find Microbiology to be quite easy, it's a course that literally guarantees you at least a pass no matter what.

Although the Micro labs are officially 3 hours, you usually just need 2, sometimes 1.5 hours, and you're out early. Unless if you're doing some extra work for the "Isolation Project". Back in 07, MICR2201 focused upon weekly quizzes each worth 2% to 3%, which helps alot for your final exam. Labs revolve around alot of Microscope work, culturing of bacteria, and a few chemical tests.

Anatomy also requires alot of microscope work, except you'll be looking at glass plates that are already stained (i.e. like in BIOS1101 where you just look at structures etc). According to some of my friends, they found Anatomy to be abit harder, especially with the structures.

Last edited:

unsw1063

Princess of UNSW
HSC
Hey OP! I'm currently in the Sports and Exercise program, so I've done both the Physiology classes (1A and 1B), as well as histology.

The physiology classes are 6 hours most weeks, as students have every 4th week free from lab classes. This time is supposed to be used as "study time" or to do electronic exercises in 106/108. They do not always run to the 3 hour limit either, so you may always get an early mark :p

Histology is great before completing PATH or whilst doing any ANAT course, as you will require the anatomy background to understand what is occuring in histology, Lectures are very similar to lab classes as you are just constantly examining the difference between healthy tissues and infected ones! Highly interesting stuff

Any questions, let me know!!

Tim035

HSC
Healthy vs infectious tissue sounds interesting.
Oddly enough it was actually my chiropractor who said to steer away from histology and embryology as they both bored the hell out of her in uni and thus her WAM suffered from them.

=

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)