Physiotherapy at Newcastle and Accreditation????? (1 Viewer)

~Fire Jade~

HSC
Okay, I'm thinking about physiotherapy at Newcastle...:wave:
However, I checked the freakin' UAC guide and it said "Accreditation with the Australian Council of Physiotherapy Council is in progress. The program has been granted interim accreditation pending the outhcome of the application for full accreditation". So what the hell does that mean? Nope. No idea to me. :eek:
I went around the net checking for more info and found out that USYD and even Charles Sturt Uni has *Full Accreditation*....except for Uni of Newcastle... Why?!?!? On the net, it said physiotherapy at Newcastle had "Accreditation for 12 months". So what does that mean now?
Plus, if I continued to sign up for physiotherapy in Newcastle and I finished the course...what happens? Do I get recognition for only one year and then be stripped of it? Is this course even worth it?:hammer:
No offence, but why does Charles Sturt have recognition while Uni of Newcastle doesn't have it? Ugh...so confusing. :sleep:

Last edited:

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
You will still be a qualified physiotherapist if you finish the degree. You seem to be reading too much into this.

Edit: actually, you are definitely reading too much into it. As shown here, there is a process to be fully accredited. Newcastle is currently in stage 2/3. Those other uni's have probably had the physio degree for a longer time than Newcastle.

But my first point remains: you will have no disadvantage from doing physio at Newcastle.

Last edited:

~Fire Jade~

HSC
Oh...really? ^^
Maybe I *am* reading in too much...The link you put there was the one I found too! But....eh...I'm still confused about the 2/3s thing and the "accreditation for 12 months"... So you're definite that students doing this course will definitely become a physiotherapist? Definite? Could you please explain a bit more about the accreditation? And yes, I'm a bit slow.... T-T
Hey, are *you* doing physiotherapy in Newcastle? =)
~Thanks for replying!

em_516

bludging..
HSC
I can't say anything for this particular course, but I was having a discussion about this with my dad a few weeks ago. Courses that are accredited get reviewed every few years, to make sure that they're still up to the standards that the organisation wants..so I guess in this case that's the Australian Council of Physiotherapy Council.

I'm sure it's not a big deal. Pretty sure most of the time they get renewed, but you're never guaranteed. My dad was saying there were cases of people doing teaching courses and then they lost the accreditation and then it produced a bunch of unlucky teachers (actually I think it was teaching, I forget :eek:). Apparently shit happens, bit of a bummer really.

We're not a shit uni. I'm sure the course will be accredited again.

Also, I did not look at James' link till now :eek: hahah.

Last edited:

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
~Fire Jade~ said:
Oh...really? ^^
Maybe I *am* reading in too much...The link you put there was the one I found too! But....eh...I'm still confused about the 2/3s thing and the "accreditation for 12 months"...
At that link I posted, download the file and open it up in acrobat reader or whatever. Under the table, there's a short description of each stage of accredidation

~Fire Jade~ said:
So you're definite that students doing this course will definitely become a physiotherapist? Definite?
Yes.

~Fire Jade~ said:
Hey, are *you* doing physiotherapy in Newcastle? =)
No, but a few old school friends are/were doing it.

The course has a UAI requirement of something like 98, I doubt they would make you work so hard to waste your time for 4 years.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
What does even Charles Sturt uni mean?

CSU has degrees that are accredited in a range of areas, more than some of the bigger uni ones. (AIMS accreditation for MedSc, Physio, etc).

Gosh. No debate on why people speak down about CSU, but regardless of its location it's a top notch university.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Yeah, I think there is a misconception that any uni that isn't metro is automatically a shit uni.

CSU is a leader in many fields, and whilst it doesn't have medicine or law (we have denistry!) it doesn't mean everything else it does offer is of a lower standard. Plus smaller teaching classes and a rural environment, it's a really sweet uni.

HSC
katie tully said:
Yeah, I think there is a misconception that any uni that isn't metro is automatically a shit uni.

CSU is a leader in many fields... it doesn't mean everything else it does offer is of a lower standard.
Lol, the retarded boy at my school is getting early entry for CSU Journalism! gotta love that no UAI entry!

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I find that interesting, because Journalism doesn't have a UAI alone. He has to pass the interview/essay as well.

As far as I knew, early entry wasn't available for Journalism.

HSC
katie tully said:
I find that interesting, because Journalism doesn't have a UAI alone. He has to pass the interview/essay as well.

As far as I knew, early entry wasn't available for Journalism.
Well he's getting early entry and I'm laughing at it so there you go.

It's funny, he's coming last in standard english let is writing for a nationally publish go-karts magazine. Ah the anomolies of having fluid on your brain.

tayisrandom

HSC
i really was considering doing physiotherapy as a career and going to newcastle because the UAI was 94 instead of 96 in sydney/charles sturt/nsw etc.
so whats it like there???
good uni or what?

em_516

bludging..
HSC
All I know is that physiotherapy is full on and Newcastle Uni is nice.
Where do you come from? Because that will probably determine the extent to which you like Newcastle.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
one of my friends does this. he was saying to me that they were down to their underwear within the first few weeks to start learning surface anatomy. there was no shame but i think, as a physio, u need to be used to seeing people's bodies. It's not like it'd be gross fatties though. i'm yet to see a fat physio student.
They've done loads of prac too. even in first year i think. ur best bet is to go to the open day and ask there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)