Piano (1 Viewer)

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
Self taught for the past 5 years. I'm currently learning Frangipani by Ross Edwards, Fubuki (cover by animenz) and One Winged Angel (FFVII Piano Collections Edition). I've never done grades for piano, but I'm assuming these are around 8th grade AMEB-ish (I think Frangipani is in the AMEB Grade 8 book actually).

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
Played the piano since mid year 6, after amusa (exam next yr) I'm fkn done with AfknMEB.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Danneo

HSC
Started piano last year (2017) mainly play anime pieces from Theisther and Animenz. Just gonna say Music 1 is a joke if you can play any of Animenz/Theisther pieces aha

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
Self taught for the past 5 years. I'm currently learning Frangipani by Ross Edwards, Fubuki (cover by animenz) and One Winged Angel (FFVII Piano Collections Edition). I've never done grades for piano, but I'm assuming these are around 8th grade AMEB-ish (I think Frangipani is in the AMEB Grade 8 book actually).
@KingOfActing, I realise you haven’t been active in this forum for over a year, but I’m posting in the hope that you might drop in occasionally. Your situation, at the time you made this post, was very similar to my son’s current situation, so I am very curious to know how you went with HSC music. Were you happy with your HSC marks for Music 2 and Extension Music?

He is just starting Yr 12 and is also a self taught musician who has never done grade exams nor had a music teacher. He has been learning for seven years and playing pieces of around 8th grade difficulty. Unlike you, he is only doing Music 1 (?I think) and majoring in composition. He has started on his fully original major compositions, but during lockdown, also played around with some arrangements for piano covers to experiment with composition. How do you think he’ll go based on these early works?

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
@KingOfActing, I realise you haven’t been active in this forum for over a year, but I’m posting in the hope that you might drop in occasionally. Your situation, at the time you made this post, was very similar to my son’s current situation, so I am very curious to know how you went with HSC music. Were you happy with your HSC marks for Music 2 and Extension Music?

He is just starting Yr 12 and is also a self taught musician who has never done grade exams nor had a music teacher. He has been learning for seven years and playing pieces of around 8th grade difficulty. Unlike you, he is only doing Music 1 (?I think) and majoring in composition. He has started on his fully original major compositions, but during lockdown, also played around with some arrangements for piano covers to experiment with composition. How do you think he’ll go based on these early works?

I'm no musician so I have nothing constructive to say but OMG these were beautiful and your son is really talented!! especially for someone who is self taught wow dedication
you've got like the coolest superhuman family bruh

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
The Hallelujah arrangement is quite beautiful - original and authentic - very impressive!

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
The Hallelujah arrangement is quite beautiful - original and authentic - very impressive!
Thank you very much for your very kind comment.
Are you also a musician?

Last edited:

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
I studied music at school (to year 10), and I love music, but sadly lack both the dedication and the skill to play it.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad

One piece of advice would be to work on dynamics. For the hallelujah piece, I think it’d be more impactful if it was played in “piano” in the beginning and then crescendos to the climax. I believe the way the hallelujah piece was written was to have a some sort of cathartic moment/epiphany which needs to be reflected in the piece. This can be done so via dynamics. By no means was this a bad composition. It was lovely. Im just nit picking areas that could be improved hahaha.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
One piece of advice would be to work on dynamics. For the hallelujah piece, I think it’d be more impactful if it was played in “piano” in the beginning and then crescendos to the climax. I believe the way the hallelujah piece was written was to have a some sort of cathartic moment/epiphany which needs to be reflected in the piece. This can be done so via dynamics. By no means was this a bad composition. It was lovely. Im just nit picking areas that could be improved hahaha.
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback.
Are you a musician?

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
I studied music at school (to year 10), and I love music, but sadly lack both the dedication and the skill to play it.
There are only so many productive hours in a day - it’s evident you spent yours very well in other areas.

sab13562

HSC
I play too! I love playing my favourite songs. It's an awesome stress reliever.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
Some feedback:
DS is studying Music 1 for HSC, with composition as his elective. He had to perform two pieces for his core performance and he has been nominated for Encore so he must have done reasonably well. He has uploaded one of the pieces ('I saw three ships' by Jarrod Radnich) onto his YouTube channel. It is a straight performance of Jarrod Radnich's piece - unlike his other pieces, he has not tried to rearrange anything in this piece.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
Started piano last year (2017) mainly play anime pieces from Theisther and Animenz. Just gonna say Music 1 is a joke if you can play any of Animenz/Theisther pieces aha
Music 1 is a bit disappointing in how poorly it scales. My son, a self taught musician, scored 96 in Music 1 but it scaled so poorly, it wasn’t included in his ATAR. Ah well, at least he enjoyed taking it as a subject.

One piece of advice would be to work on dynamics. For the hallelujah piece, I think it’d be more impactful if it was played in “piano” in the beginning and then crescendos to the climax.
@Life’sHard, so what do you think of the dynamics of his latest arrangement (of Ed Sheeran’s Castle on the Hill):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYWiB0T8OD0?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)