Picking subjects (1 Viewer)

IceRealm

HSC
Hi all, I'm doing Commerce/IT this year at usyd and I've come across some problems picking subjects that I have to bring to enrolment day:

1. Since I'm doing a double degree and there're 4 subjects per semester, do I pick 2 commerce subjects and 2 IT subjects? If not, what combination of commerce/IT subjects do I pick?

2. INFS1000 (Business Information Systems Foundations) and INFO1003 (Foundations of Information Technology) are both core units of study but each is under the other's prohibition list (meaning they overlap?)...would I still have to do them both?

3. Are subjects I pick on enrolment day set in stone? Or can I change them later provided it's before a specific date?

Thanks in advance.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
IceRealm said:
3. Are subjects I pick on enrolment day set in stone? Or can I change them later provided it's before a specific date?
Come February you'll be able to change your enrolment online. You can add new subjects until Week 2 (I think), and can drop subjects without financial penalty until March 31.

DeepDarkRose

HSC
I don't do your degree so i dont know about most of that, but yes you can change your subjects after enrollment as long as it is before the census date (march 31st? i think... not sure...)

amber44

HSC
How do I go about transferring credit from one degree to another?

DeepDarkRose

HSC
amber44 said:
How do I go about transferring credit from one degree to another?
first of all, it depends on whether both degrees are from the same uni or not. if it's not, then i think you need an academic transcript from your old university. if it's usyd to usyd, it should be simpler.

i transferred from arts into arts (lang) last year and they just made me go to the arts faculty office and write them a note about how i want all my credit transferred so i'd imagine your faculty office would be the place to help you with it.

amber44

HSC
DeepDarkRose said:
first of all, it depends on whether both degrees are from the same uni or not. if it's not, then i think you need an academic transcript from your old university. if it's usyd to usyd, it should be simpler.

i transferred from arts into arts (lang) last year and they just made me go to the arts faculty office and write them a note about how i want all my credit transferred so i'd imagine your faculty office would be the place to help you with it.
Awesome, yeah it's a science to arts transfer from usyd to usyd. Thanks DDR!

alexialight

HSC
As far as I know you can pretty much do any combo of IT/commerce in a semester. As long as you get all that you need by the end of your degree its ok. At least that's what its like for sci/comm. Not too sure though because IT/comm is a new degree.

As far as INFO/INFS go, I'm pretty sure you just have to do one of them and then get an exemption from doing another. Probably best to do the INFO because I think its a pre-req for later IT units.

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
INFS1000 and INFO1003 are pretty much the same course, my friend and i did each of the courses (i did info, he did infs) and our notes were pretty much the same (basic html, javascript, MS Access, Excel, doing ERDs etc). We even had similar assignments (make a website with some dynamic features, Excel assignment and an MS Access assignment).

imo INFO1003 has more 'student-friendly' assignments.

Thanks to the new 2008 School of IT syllabus, there aren't any more pre-reqs for subjects, it's all turned into assumed knowledge.

That being said, first year programming courses (i think they are INFO1103 and INFO1105) will cover most of what is in INFO1003. I did first year programming and did info1003 last year, and breezed through the course.

IceRealm

HSC
Thanks for the replies, I enrolled last week and found out it is indeed any combination of commerce and IT subjects. However, regarding INFS1000 and INFO1003, the subject adviser told me INFS1000 took precedence over INFO1003 and so enrolled me into that subject.

Does anyone have a link to the total credit points required for commerce and for IT in my degree? During enrolment day the chick gave me a commerce/engineering booklet and a IT booklet separately because since it's a new course, they didn't have one made for commerce/IT. Those booklets weren't really too much help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)