• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Picking tuts and lectures? (1 Viewer)

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
ok so i was all cocky and stuff thinking this would be easy, but i just realised i am pretty lost.
there isnt a straight, walkthrough method they show you to pick your stuff and i am pretty confused about it right now because i think some of my subjects are open for selection now and the most important ones arent and i dunno how many lectures, tuts or practicals i gotta pick for each one

for any1 curious heres what i am doing:
Autumn
HIST107 empires, colonies... 1x 2hr L, 1x 1hr T
CHEM101 Chemistry 1A:Foundations 3 x 1 hr L; 1 x 1 hr T; 1 x 3 hr P
BIOL104 Evolution, Biodiversity, Environment 2hrs L, 3hrs P, 1hr T
PSYC121 Foundations of Psychology A 2 hrs lecture; 1 hr lab

Spring
BIOL103 Molecules, cells, organisms 2hrs L, 3hrs P
ELL171 introudction to lingustics: english language 2hr lecture; 1hr tut
PSYC123 Theory design and statistics in Psych 2 hrs lecture; 1 hr lab
PSYC122 Foundations of Psych B 2 hrs lecture; 1 hr lab
the bold is whats most important

so for example, i think the biology is open for selection
and for chem 1a heres what it says for contact hours: Contact Hours: 3 x 1 hr L; 1 x 1 hr T; 1 x 3 hr P
that means i need to pick 3 llectures, 1tutorial and 1 practical a week? confusing

and i gotta make it all fit togther aswell

and this is my history: 2 hour lecture, 1 hour tutorial per week so that should be heaps easy to fit it in

iamsickofyear12

HSC
If the numbers you have there are correct then:

HISTY107 - You need to enrol in 1 tutorial. Enrol through the 'Tutorial Enrolment' link in SOLS

CHEM101 - You need to enrol in 1 tutorial and 1 lab. Enrol though 'Tutorial Enrolment' link in SOLS

BIOL104 - You need to enrol in 1 tutorial and 1 lab. Enrol though ''Tutorial Enrolment' link in SOLS.

PSYC121 - You need to enrol in 1 lab. Enrol through here: http://www.hbs.uow.edu.au/tes/

Usually you won't have to actually enrol in lectures, but it may ask which one you plan on attending just to get an idea of numbers.

HIST107 you have one 2 hour lecture.
CHEM101 you have three 1 hour lectures.
BIOL104 you have one 2 hour lecture.
PSYC121 you have one 2 hour lecture.

You can find the times for each of these subjects under the 'Timetable' link in SOLS.

To find out what time enrolment opens go into the 'Tutorial Enrolment' link in SOLS and select a subject. It should tell you the date and time. If it is a first in first serve system which I think most of yours might be get in as soon as it opens to get the times you want.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
the thing is, all the psych lectures only go for 1 hour, does this mean i have to pick 2 hours worth of lectures? which gives me like no choice cause theres only 2 slots for lectures anyways

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Serius said:
the thing is, all the psych lectures only go for 1 hour, does this mean i have to pick 2 hours worth of lectures? which gives me like no choice cause theres only 2 slots for lectures anyways
Yes, you will need to go to both 1 hour lectures to make up the total 2 hours for the subject.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
ok so i picked my chemistry lab time

and then i went to biology and it had some sort of wierd 4hour chunk that i took to mean 3hour lab and 1 hour tut, and cause thats the times i wanted anyways i picked that

history and psych arent open for picks yet
so basically all i need to do is pick a tutorial for chemistry, but in that sols thing all it had to pick was the lab, is there some other part of the website were tuts are picked? or does that just mean they arent available to be picked yet?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
You shouldn't have to go to another part of the website. It's most likely that it just isn't up yet, or it's all in 1 block like it was for the other subject.

acullen

Povo postgrad
HSC
Enrolment time is always a joy filled time of the year.

If you walk away with no time conflicts, no 5 hour gaps in the middle of a day, and your sanity intact; you have done well.

nwatts

HSC
Hah, i'm nervous I won't get the tute times I want, which will mean I need to withdraw from subjects because of clashing lectures. :(

Let's hope everything goes fine. Although JOUR101 hasn't even posted its tute times yet!

Scanorama

HSC
nwatts said:
Hah, i'm nervous I won't get the tute times I want, which will mean I need to withdraw from subjects because of clashing lectures. :(

Let's hope everything goes fine. Although JOUR101 hasn't even posted its tute times yet!
If your tutorals are enrolled through SOLS, make sure you sit in front of your computer AT LEAST 5 minutes before it opens for enrollment. And when it gets closer (20 seconds prior), keep refreshing the page. If you following the steps, you should be able to get what you want.

In the unforunate event, you don't get what you want, don't worry, email the subject coordinator, they might be able to work something out.

HSC
Not really related, but wow, my tutorial listings are messed up so far! 3/4 of them open this evening, and for each of those subjects only two of the eight possible tutorials are listed in sols, with two subjects listing the ones I hope to choose, and the other having only those which are useless to me.

Hopefully someone at the uni finds time in their busy schedule to fix it today, or I'll beat my fists against the desk in a fit of geek rage come 22:30 or whatever the hell time they open this evening.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I wish they wouldn't put tutorials on the timetable that they don't have the resources for. My first 2 preferences are screwed now. Now I'm going to have to intentionall make a clash to avoid having some huge gap.

HSC
I dont get it? Help me...

I just had a look at my tutorials and compared them with the sheet i was given on enrolment day and they seem to be in different positions and all over the place what the hell. I am so confused now :O

I am meant to be enrolling in my CSCI191 Turtorials and Labs tonight!!!

kkitty56

HSC
how do we check when lectures n tutorials open online so we can enrol in them?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
If there is more than one it might ask you which one you are going to attend just to get an idea of numbers, but you don't really need to enrol you just turn up.

I just enrolled in a lab and more than half the places went in 1 minute. You need to be quick for these first in first serve things.

kkitty56

HSC
yeah i enrolled in all my science pracs last nite.. So i definitely have to enrol in tutorials? So cos BIO104 has a tute + prac block of 4hrs :-( n EESC101 n EESC103 dont have tutorials, the only thing i need to enrol in is CHEM101 tutorial, yeah?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)