PIP Survey: Parenting! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelly_xxx

HSC
Harlo! I'm doing my PIP on changing nature of parenting from the 50s to today and examing the changed attitudes, disciplines, values as well as the social forces that are driving these changes. I guess we all have experiences, opinions on our parents and they way they raise us and how we would like to raise our kids. It would be greatly appreciated if you can fill in the following questions.
Cheers Kelly :D

1. Are you:
- Male
Female

2. How old are you

3. Were you raised in:
a. a nuclear famil
b single parent family
c extended family
d Other

4. In your childhood experience, what kind of values did your parents emphasise? (E.g. compassion for others, religious values etc.)

5. What kind of disciplines/methods did your parents undertake? (E.g. were they strict, democratic and etc.)

6. What are your ideal methods and attitudes towards parenthood?

7. Do you think the way you were brought up plays an influential factor in determining your ideal methods and attitudes towards parenthood?

8. Please rank the following qualities that you wish your child/ren to have from least to most important on a scale of 1 to 9. (1 being most important)

* happy
* strong morals
* confidence
* religious
* good manners
* hard working
* successful in what they do
* doing well at school
* Other_______(please specify)

9. What do you think of today's parenting? Are today's parents too 'pushy'? Can you account for reasons behind it? (e.g. competitive society)

10. Where do you think the future of parenting is going? (e.g. are we gonna be strict parents?)

Thanks for your response :D

rhia

salty
HSC
1. Are you: Female

2. How old are you: 20

3. Were you raised in: b: single parent family

4. In your childhood experience, what kind of values did your parents emphasise? (E.g. compassion for others, religious values etc.)
nothing. my mother didn't really have any values. we were not encouraged to nourish our interests or talents, but were encouraged to watch television. we were not forbidden to watch adult material. we were not encouraged to not be anti-social. we didn't go out, and my mother rarely had anybody over.

5. What kind of disciplines/methods did your parents undertake? (E.g. were they strict, democratic and etc.)
occasional slap, yell, and bluff to take something away.

i think that thought should be applied before one decides to become a parent - thought to the financial future and to the education of the child... and to what values the child will be taught - that values should be taught. i think this is really complex to answer... nowadays i'm very saddened by the attempts at parenting i see - uneducated broken families, and children not being taught values or anything at all, like myself... fat and violent, horrible children... etc.

7. Do you think the way you were brought up plays an influential factor in determining your ideal methods and attitudes towards parenthood?
no, i'm so removed from my family it's ridiculous.

8. Please rank the following qualities that you wish your child/ren to have from least to most important on a scale of 1 to 9. (1 being most important)

i'm not having children. but hypothetically:

5 happy
1 strong morals
3 confidence
4 religious
2 good manners
6 hard working
7 successful in what they do
8 doing well at school
9 healthy.

9. What do you think of today's parenting? Are today's parents too 'pushy'? Can you account for reasons behind it? (e.g. competitive society)
disgusting. today's parents are apathetic - or at least, the ones i have the opportunity to observe. they don't care about their children, but pretend to. they give their children mcdonald's to shut them up and read new weekly. they have pets even though they can't afford it. they whine at their children, as if they were 4 year olds. failures.

10. Where do you think the future of parenting is going? (e.g. are we gonna be strict parents?)
we're all going to be fat angry losers.

52526Emmy

HSC
1. Are you:
Female

2. How old are you

3. Were you raised in:
a. a nuclear family

4. In your childhood experience, what kind of values did your parents emphasise? (E.g. compassion for others, religious values etc.) I would say religous values, but the religous values of honesty, kindness, humility and those taught by the Bible

5. What kind of disciplines/methods did your parents undertake? (E.g. were they strict, democratic and etc.) Rather democratic, perhaps to an extent where as there was a lack of boundaries

6. What are your ideal methods and attitudes towards parenthood? A parent should guide their child, slowly letting them go until they are an independant, self sufficient individual. So they shouldnt smother a child or not let them make mistakes because how is the child going to learn? A parent should also not judge and treat siblings the same, and love unconditionally

7. Do you think the way you were brought up plays an influential factor in determining your ideal methods and attitudes towards parenthood? Yup, if it worked, you are likely to do the same, if you hated it, you are likely to use a different method of parenting

 happy 9
 strong morals 7
 confidence 5
 religious 2
 good manners 4
 hard working 6
 successful in what they do 3
 doing well at school 1
 Other_compassion 8

9. What do you think of today's parenting? Are today's parents too 'pushy'? Can you account for reasons behind it? (e.g. competitive society) I definiltly think it is a case of competitive society, and parents living throught their children. Like, my brothers soccer game, all the Dads got into a fight, its like geez get your own life ur fighting over a kids game? Is it that important to you? but it shows that the level of achievment of the child is another prize, or attribute to the parent; it makes the parent a better person, well at least thats what society thinks

10. Where do you think the future of parenting is going? (e.g. are we gonna be strict parents?) I think it is going to become more democratic, as children are already ovcertaking their parents in their knowledge of technology which is rapidly increasing. Thus, children have a greater sense that they know better than their parents

Good luck with your PIP, sounds like an interesting topic :)

Kulazzi

HSC
1. Are you:
Female

2. How old are you

3. Were you raised in:
c extended family

kind, respect, love, appreciate, cherish, be spiritually focussed

definitely strict!

you must be frank in order to connect and communicate with your child well. A clear example is the contrast between my family and my uncle and aunty's family - they are very very frank with their children and thus communicate effectively

yes

1 good manners
2 strong morals
3 religious
4 confidence
5 doing well at school
6 happy
7 hard working
8 successful in what they do

it depends really on which cultural setting you are being brought up in. For example, I guess you can say (and this is only a stereotype) that asian (not only chinese/japanese but also indians/pakistanis) families are most likely to push their children, especially in education, than non-asian families

once again it depends, see above

DonnaLily

HSC
Hope you're still after replies!

1. Are you:
Female

2. How old are you: 18

3. Were you raised in:
a. a nuclear family
b single parent family
c extended family
d Other

My family isn't very religious, so we didn't have religious values, my brother, sister and I were brought up how my parents thought was right. Seeing as I have a disability we were raised to respect others and don't judge people, give them weird looks, etc.

They were strict, within limits. By that I mean we were allowed to do as we like, as long as they knew and we got permission. For example: I was allowed to go to the local shopping mall, but I wasn't allowed to go into Sydney with friends until I was 16. It was about respect.

I'll probably raise my kids the way I was raised, because I enjoyed my childhood and wasn't given so many limitations that would make me turn around and go behind my parent's backs.

Of course.

1. happy
4. confidence
7. religious
2. good manners
3. hard working
6. successful in what they do
5. doing well at school
8. Other_______(please specify)

I think in today's society, parents are completely opposite. Because of all these discipline laws have been introduced where a parent cannot touch a child, it gives the parents no rights towards their child. While I don't believe in physical abuse, it's allowing children to completely overule a parents decision. While children can live their own lives, a parent has to be able to guide them and discipline them when they misbehave. They have now been denied this right, which then affects their parenting and children are left to do as they please.

I'm really not sure. It could go either way. Future parents could be strict, or these lawa (mentioned above) could overight and children could be doing all that they please and parents are permissive.

Goodluck with the PIP chickee!! :)
Donna Lily
xx

s2indie

HSC
1. Are you:
Female

2. How old are you

3. Were you raised in:
b. single parent family

respect, love, honesty, trust

Strict, but compromise could get me places. :)

Communication is a huge thing, being able to understand and appreciate what the other says. And the respect to understand it.

yes

1 happy
2 strong morals
3 good manners
4 confidence
5 doing well at school
6 hard working
8 religious

Depends on the experiences of the parents. But yeh, my parents seem to be quite competitive with other parents.

Maybe. I don't know.

groovychacha

HSC
1. Are you:
Female

2. How old are you

3. Were you raised in:
a. a nuclear family

cleanliness, sensibilty, discipline

very strict, although they dont like to think of themselves like that. they believe that they are doing what is right, and that they are keeping me safe by not allowing me to do things that i wanted to

i would be less strict, but still have some ground rules so that the child remains safe and always make sure that the lines of communication are open for discussion

yes, i see the strengths and weaknesses in my parents style and adapt these to my own theory

3 happy
5 strong morals
1 confidence
8 (let them make their own choices) religious
2 good manners
4 hard working
6 doing well at school
 Other_______(please specify)

often at sporting events parents believe that they are encouraging their children, but i feel that they are living their lives through the children and trying to make them accomplish things that they didnt in their lives

parenting is slowly evolving, resulting from the last generations parenting styles and their effects. there will always be differing styles

Hope this helps

ane_st

HSC
1. Female

2. 16

3.c extended family- i live with my grandparents,parents and brother

4. Sometimes religious values; e.g. going to church on holidays... Tried to get me to respect others and myself... always taught me to do the things i loved.. hmm thats all i can think of

5. My parents were more democratic- they always spoke to me rationally

6. My parents :) .. i think its important for children to be in an environment that is non-threatening, loving, supporting and stimulating... if a parent/s can provide this then thats what i believe is right...

7. Yes, my parents are an immediate role model for me, so where else am i going to learn??

2 happy
1 strong morals
3 confidence
8 religious
7 good manners
4 hard working
5 successful in what they do
6 doing well at school

9. Depends on the parent and child... In my experience i think that a parent should always be proud of their child... I dont think parents are to pushy because my parents werent with me

10. i think that our generation of parents are going to be more aware of technological advancements (because we live in an age where it always happens), issues such as teen drinking will be more aware because our generation goes through it.. i dont think we'll be strict because of the time we were raised..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)