Places to live, need ideas (1 Viewer)

Some_Guy

HSC
Well I certainly don't want to stay in Sydney my entire life, so I thought I would try to get some idea of where else in the world might be nice to live. So I'm up for suggestions on some other great places to live and why.

Some places I am considering so far (any info about them would be great):

Melbourne - Basically the only other place in Aus I am considering. It seems to top all these best city in the world polls but I still don't really understand why. Also how cold is it compared to Sydney?

New York - Seems like a nice city but basically all I know about this place is what I have seen in the movies.

San Francisco - Aparently it's nice. The thing about America is that I'm afraid the accents might bug the hell out of me, or worse I will start using an American accent myself.

Toronto - It might be too cold for me. Ditto about the accent.

Rome - Ive heard it's nice. I like the Italian language as well and I'm willing to learn it.

Singapore - Don't know much about it. I went there when I was little with my parents and I seem to remember enjoying it.

Tokyo - Not too sure about Tokyo. Ive heard it can be a bit hard to adapt there if your caucasian.

Thats all I can think of for now. It's mainly just cities I'm interested in at this point. Any feedback from people who have lived in or visited these places would be great. Will add more later​

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Some_Guy said:
New York - Seems like a nice city but basically all I know about this place is what I have seen in the movies. Hell expensive. You wouldn't be able to afford to live in Manhattan but the other four boroughs aren't too bad. There's Long Island, Staten Island, Queens and the Bronx. Everyone has the thick NY accent. You'd never get bored because there's so much to do but again, it is very expensive.

San Francisco - Aparently it's nice. The thing about America is that I'm afraid the accents might bug the hell out of me, or worse I will start using an American accent myself. San Fran is awesome. When I go back to the States I'll either live there or in Seattle. It's laid back, spread out nicely and a very cool city. Not as expensive as NYC.

Toronto - It might be too cold for me. Ditto about the accent. Canadian accents are softer than American accents. They really don't get that annoying. You just get used to it. Also, it's a nice city but Canada is a bit chillier than here. You won't get the long summer that you get in Sydney.
Those are three cities I've been to. I'd personally love to live in Geneva, London, San Fran, Seattle and somewhere in France for awhile. NYC maybe.

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
I am surprised you didnt include London? I am definitely gonna live there for about 10 years, maybe more. Many people didnt realise that Docklands areas have been entirely redeveloped into Financial District and upmarket residential areas that rival manhattan. Then again it depends on what kind of job you'll be looking. Since i'm into accounting/finance , thats where I'll belong.

Some_Guy

HSC
Thanks for the replies so far. London is a possible one. Buenos Aires is another one im considering now also.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
ive never been to any of them but from what i've been told, san francisco is a hella awesome place and i remember someone telling me that some scandinavian city (i think it might have been helsinki?) was very cool as well.

NRuus

Australialainen Suomessa
HSC
Helsinki is a nice city. Not easy to get lost. Good public transport. I am living in Turku which is the 3rd biggest city in Finland. It's not bad. Small though after Sydney and impossible to get lost in. Finland is a really expensive country in general even compared to the rest of Europe and really freaking cold in winter and not warm enough in summer.

Copenhagen is a nice city but it is really expensive apparently.

Stockholm is also meant to be pretty nice.

dwimdutch

HSC
Utrecht in holland, noone mention amsterdam or you go die now

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Some_Guy said:
....or worse I will start using an American accent myself.​

If you live in America you will get a bit of an American accent. It really doesn't take all that much for it to happen. My brother has a bit of an American accent just from being around my parents, he's never even been to America for more than a couple weeks at a time.​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)