• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

plagiarism again (1 Viewer)

alex10

I'm a reporter from The Daily Telegraph. I already posted on this subject earlier this week, but I want to ask a few more questions. Does anyone regularly cut and paste material off the Internet? Do you think this is plagiarism, or do you, like one writer said, think that if you cut from several documents it means the new document is original?
Has anyone used websites that offer to write essays for money? There are several, but they seem to operate out of the US and be geared at American college students. They're also expensive.
Alex Devine devinea@dailytelegraph.com.au

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
is this gonna be a published article on it ?

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
yeah if those free essay things were indeed free, and werent have to pay for, i would use them.

i can honestly say that i dont plagiarise.. when i do copy and paste a few sentences or so, i always change the sentence around... (chaging a word or adding stuff in). i never acutally copy and paste and thats it.

alex10

Originally posted by Ragerunner
is this gonna be a published article on it ?
Yes, we're planning to publish it in Monday's paper. We also want to get someone who cuts and pastes from the net who's willing to talk at length about it, and also get a picture taken (in silhouette so you can't be identified) to run with the story.
The Education Department has no policy on plagiarism, so it's a school by school thing, and the rules about what is and what isn't don't seem to be clear.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
i think its the extent of how u do it to say whether its plagarism.

unless copying word by word for an entire essay i wouldn't say cut and paste of senteces is plagarism seeing that some could co-incidently turn out to be someone else's.

i have done a few of those. like say i am looking for a quote from someone and see what other people say about and i copy it down.

i would do a talk about it but i got exams atm :p

alex10

Is it becoming such a problem? Can you tell me what you've seen that makes you think that?

Bimbo

Southern Girl
i sent you an email about it the other day :)
I could go on all day about it because it was such a big problem at my last school...

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
but then again. resources like bored of studies make plagarism even more simple. especially with all these band 5/6 essays already written out and with little changes in the essay question they ask you its hard for someone not to plagarise.

If you copy out the best point people make and make your own essay with some of those embedded, that would be part of the learning curve.

however full plagarism like copy out an esay word for word is definitely wrong but its not something that can be stopped unless the marker goes through all the essays possible in the net etc.. which would be impractical.

Bimbo

Southern Girl
I see your point there, it would be impractical, but at my last school there were so many people who were blatantly plagiarising stuff off the net, then handing it in as their own speech, research assignment etc. Teachers rarely, if ever, did anything about this, and it was very frustrating for other students to see.

bobo123

HSC
plagiarism is hard to prove
the only way of ever controlling it is to switch to 100% in school exams, but there are disadvantages for this as well

so yeah:eek:

Twintip

I think, with syllubi the way they are now, plagarism is almost becoming unavoidable. Every dot point has been summarised by hundreds or thousands of people, there is nothing new to say and the best way of expressing something has already been done. I think the incentive is definitely there to plagarise. I do Philosophy, no one would be stupid enough to plagarise in that (the entire candidature for the course only totals 56 and everyone including the markers have access to the past students' work on the Philosophy website, etc). I also do Chemistry and Physics, and I would think that plagarism in assignments in those subjects is probably the most common of all my subjects (in addition to the above 3, 4 unit maths and adv. english as well as Geog which I accelerated). The wide range of material posted by past students on a site like this must be simply too tempting for some students. Most people pre-write english essays but I don't think plagarism is all that common because there isn't really that much information around on what people write their essays on (eg: "compare the techniques used to convey the similarities and differences between Emma and Clueless" or "refer to the stimulus booklet...", good luck finding something useful to do with that on the net).

I have plagarised a number of times before, but never for an HSC assessment. It's just too risky. The past instances have been in stuff like RE assignments and other meaninless things like that. :p Plagarism isn't just copying word-for-word, the half-arsed approach is definitely to just change a few words and perhaps the order of them a bit. It's still plagarism.

In the end, the student loses out because if they are lazy enough to plagarise, they are bound to be too lazy to actually learn what the didn't learn as a result of the plagarism and hence will be screwed come HSC time. People will tell themselves "it's ok I will learn it later" but I bet they never bother and conveniently forget.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
ooo ooo can i be in your article!? I don't plaigerize but Im against it!!
And guys teachers aren't stupid. The teachers at my school always go and print out as many related pages on the net as they can so they know straight away if someone has copied material off the net. I wouldn't be game enough to try and pass something from this site as my own cos its so readily accessible to teachers. And Id be worried that other people would have the same assignment as me!!

chip

HSC
but dont your teachers give you essays and stuff written by professors and when there good stuff you take that and make it your own without quoting where its come from thats the same as taking stuff on the net..............
it would be impossible for them to ask you to write where you got all your material from in an exam........

Nose Bleed

ex-loser
HSC
N/A
in assignments i have put things like
- serious point
- serious point
- needs to be homosexual
- serious point

to test if teachers where really reading it, and i got introuble. I did it again, and i got introuble again.

i think that helps

spleen

One of my teacher enters sections of assignments into google advanced search. He catches out a lot of people this way.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I think copying and pasting from the net is wrong and is plaguerism. However, reading something on the net (even if it is from a "free essay" site), then using the information in your own words is fine.

However, I think those that copy are mostly cheating themselves... they aren't going to have the internet in the exam room in October...

Teachers aren't silly either. They know someone's writing ability and style, and they would have suspicions if they thought something had been copied, and they would check it out.

I would never copy anything, my pride just wouldn't let me do it.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Firstly my opinion: personally I think plagiarism is a deadly sin of writing, and most of the students I know have been guilty of it once in a while... however, it is quite obvious with some essays that they have been cut and pasted from some academic site because of the language, style and content. Further I feel plagiarism is as ethically bad as cheating in an exam, because you are 'stealing' another's intellectual property for your own selfish ends. Being a writer, I hate it when people copy my stuff. >.<

Secondly reality: there's two paths, the freeway and the off-road of knowledge. Plagiarism (like cheating) is like driving a stolen vehicle at 200km/h in the wrong lane on the freeway - you're going bloody fast, but you're gonna get caught out one day. Creating something original, on the other hand, is like driving uncharted terrain. Even if we weren't electrons the human mind (or rather the laziness of the human mind) realises it is better to choose the path of least resistance.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
well

This is the HSC.

Most students don't care whether they are smart enough to make up their own essays or to test how good they are. They just want the marks and will try to get it at any method possible. Alas, although it is wrong to plagarise its practically impossible to stop if the right steps are taken.

E.g. getting the whole essay and slightly edit it to sound like yourself.

If the teacher is smart he/she will know your method of writing.

like you get a crap mark for an essay then in the exam *boom* u slam down a band 6 essay.

Very suspicious :)

Last edited:

bobo123

HSC
and yet innocent until proven guilty
which means basically never
so the person is off the hook with a band 6

i must confess that sounds very attractive to me :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)