Plan for the future (needing advice!) (1 Viewer)

TeenageTragedyx

HSC
This may sound farfetched but I am keen on becoming a vet in the future. I heard it is a very difficult job to succeed in. But i reckon that if i don't try I will never know the outcome.

So it got me thinking. What subjects should I choose for year11 (because those certainly count as something). My subjects need to make 12 units. But I am not certain on which subjects to choose. I know I will need alot of science subjects. So heres my vague subjects plan (year11-12).

Drama (i love to act.. and i am good at it)
English (standard or advanced?)
Maths (standard or advanced)
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Photography

I am not certain on what it takes to become a vet.. isn't the UAI needed for becoming a vet around the high 90's. I need some advice.. so please if anyone can offer advice or point me in the right direction. Please do so because time is running out.:spzz:

TTx

+ my second choice is journalism..

mioumiou

HSC
This may sound farfetched but I am keen on becoming a vet in the future. I heard it is a very difficult job to succeed in. But i reckon that if i don't try I will never know the outcome.

So it got me thinking. What subjects should I choose for year11 (because those certainly count as something). My subjects need to make 12 units. But I am not certain on which subjects to choose. I know I will need alot of science subjects. So heres my vague subjects plan (year11-12).

Drama (i love to act.. and i am good at it)
English (standard or advanced?)
Maths (standard or advanced)
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Photography

I am not certain on what it takes to become a vet.. isn't the UAI needed for becoming a vet around the high 90's. I need some advice.. so please if anyone can offer advice or point me in the right direction. Please do so because time is running out.:spzz:

TTx

+ my second choice is journalism..
I would advice you just do the subjects that you LOVE the most but they also have to be sort of associated to what you're going in the future (e.g vet, teacher etc). So I think you MUST do biology cuz you want to be a vet.

As for other subjects like English, and since you've still got more than 3 Terms to decide what you're going, or if you really wants to be in the Advance English, then why not?

For Maths, there's no "standard class" the courses for maths are (General, Advance Mathematics - 2U, Extension 1 Maths - 3U and Extension 2 for 4 Unit ----> 4U maths it's only for year 12)

You have plenty of time to think about what subjects you're going to in Year 11 and 12 and also, the career that you felt most passionate towards.

BTW, we don't use UAI now, it's ATAR. But I'm sure it would be something like 90+ if you really wants to be a Vet in the future. :idea:

good luck with your studies! :)

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
If your 2nd choice is journalism I would aim to do Adv Eng or Ext1 Eng.
A quick google shows a B Vet Sci @ USYD has the assumed knowledge of 2u maths, phys and chem with recommended bio

klaris

HSC
I agree, definitely aim for 3U English. I wasn't sure if I had made the right decision either, but now extension is my favourite subject!

Also, I know you may be set on your career path but keep in mind that you are only 15-16 and you will be influenced greatly in the next few years. Don't concrete your plan until you are absolutely certain you want to spend four/five years at uni doing.

When I was in year ten I wanted to be a teacher. Now, I can't think of anything worse (for me) and am steering towards international studies. However, that said, I could change my mind in the next week and want to work in Economics.

So, just choose subjects you love and DO NOT CHOOSE SUBJECTS BASED ON SCALING. Luckily, I never did, but I know people who have and they hate the subjects they've chosen.

TeenageTragedyx

HSC
@everyone: Thanks everyone for your help :)

I agree, definitely aim for 3U English. I wasn't sure if I had made the right decision either, but now extension is my favourite subject!

Also, I know you may be set on your career path but keep in mind that you are only 15-16 and you will be influenced greatly in the next few years. Don't concrete your plan until you are absolutely certain you want to spend four/five years at uni doing.

When I was in year ten I wanted to be a teacher. Now, I can't think of anything worse (for me) and am steering towards international studies. However, that said, I could change my mind in the next week and want to work in Economics.

So, just choose subjects you love and DO NOT CHOOSE SUBJECTS BASED ON SCALING. Luckily, I never did, but I know people who have and they hate the subjects they've chosen.
In saying to not choose because of scaling. If i choose the subjects that I am good at and atleast have one subject in reference to vet and journalism. And say I do get 99+ ATAR what happens then.. would they give me options of careers I want to take or will they just give me options on the uni and I choose the career path from there? (thats what i am confused about)

+wouldn't I have to be really good at maths to be a vet. so id have to choose an extention. (oh, also do they tell you if you are suited for a subject after the school certificate??)

so many questions.. and the reason I am worried about this now is because ive heard of people who leave things to too late. :(

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A

In saying to not choose because of scaling. If i choose the subjects that I am good at and atleast have one subject in reference to vet and journalism. And say I do get 99+ ATAR what happens then.. would they give me options of careers I want to take or will they just give me options on the uni and I choose the career path from there? (thats what i am confused about)
Sorry I'm a bit confused with what your asking but if you get an ATAR of 99.00 then you can go into any course with an ATAR requirements of 99.00 or below, it's up to you to pick what you want to do at uni and what your career path is from there.
+wouldn't I have to be really good at maths to be a vet. so id have to choose an extention. (oh, also do they tell you if you are suited for a subject after the school certificate??)
Check out the requirements for various uni's,you will most likely do uni at maths so don't worry too much although to be on the safe side I would do 2u as then you can do a bridging course if your course assumes 3u. Your school will most likely tell you what maths course they recommend you do. What maths class are you in now (do you know what stream your in?) as you will generally progress on from your y10 stream to y11, eg 5.1 -> gen maths, 5.2 > 2u maths, 5.3 > ext1
so many questions.. and the reason I am worried about this now is because ive heard of people who leave things to too late. :(
You have plenty of time. Some people have no idea what they want to do in life even when they are at uni :). Having a rough idea for y11 will benefit you

mioumiou

HSC

It's good to have some thoughts for the future, but you don't really need to stress out that much. Most of the people in my school (last year when the subject selection sheets came out) they don't even know what on earth they're going to do! And even now, week 5 (you can change any of your subjects before the end of week 5) there's loads of them keep changing from subjects to subjects. School Certificate is just a joke. If you have chances reading through some of the comments on the SC exam, they're not determining anything what you're going to do in the future. they would give out the selection form around the end of Term 3. So you have plenty of time, and maybe you will find some other subjects that you're interested than you're first planning!

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
would they give me options of careers I want to take or will they just give me options on the uni and I choose the career path from there? (thats what i am confused about)
In year 12, you get 9 'preferences', depending on what you want to do, put them in order you'd like to do them, not sure if they ask for course name or number etc... since we havnt been through the process yet, but its course + uni in some form, also its online i believe.

So depending on what you want to do, you have 9 courses you want to do, with their respective Unis... (pick based on what you think you'll end up with in terms of ATAR).

(oh, also do they tell you if you are suited for a subject after the school certificate??)
They can suggest stuff for you, but here's a tip: Teachers dont know anything.

So dont bother listening to what they say.

ATAR aim: 100%
its good to aim high
Good luck with the 100%.

:) lol.

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
They can suggest stuff for you, but here's a tip: Teachers dont know anything.

So dont bother listening to what they say.
I would argue this, Teachers know something. They might not always be right although they have experience, I guess it varies, my maths teacher believed that I would be suitable for the 2u course although the head of maths wasn't so convinced so I proved to him I was and got in to 2u.

TeenageTragedyx

HSC
Sorry I'm a bit confused with what your asking but if you get an ATAR of 99.00 then you can go into any course with an ATAR requirements of 99.00 or below, it's up to you to pick what you want to do at uni and what your career path is from there.

Check out the requirements for various uni's,you will most likely do uni at maths so don't worry too much although to be on the safe side I would do 2u as then you can do a bridging course if your course assumes 3u. Your school will most likely tell you what maths course they recommend you do. What maths class are you in now (do you know what stream your in?) as you will generally progress on from your y10 stream to y11, eg 5.1 -> gen maths, 5.2 > 2u maths, 5.3 > ext1

You have plenty of time. Some people have no idea what they want to do in life even when they are at uni :). Having a rough idea for y11 will benefit you
Yes, thats what I was somehow trying to say but I am pathetic at explaining. I would like to do vet in Usyd since that is a pretty good uni..

Good luck with the 100%.

:) lol.
Haha, thanks.. its good to aim high. :)

"School Certificate is just a joke"
In a way I think it is somewhat important because apparently if you do pretty well in it you have more choices in year11.

klaris

HSC

Firstly, you don't get "options" for uni. You will probably have a meeting with your Careers Advisor and go from there. They will ask you basic questions about what you would like to do in life.

You then go to uni to study your choosen course and decide from there/chop and change your course. Having some idea of it now, and what subjects/topics interest you will help this decision.

Like I mentioned before, keep your options open. Sure, if you like maths and science and history, do uni courses relating to them. But don't focus on one small area, it leaves you short and doesn't have much space to let you change your degree if you decide you don't like it

And don't worry too much. You are in year ten. I didn't study a bit for the SC and I went just fine (two band sixes to boot) Year ten was probably the best school year of my life and I wouldn't change a thing.

Now, it is hard to organise a social life because there is so many projects/assessments/essays, but it is getting easier. Learning to do a lot of things during the week helps but it still isn't the same.

Your teachers/advisors will let you know about major changes. Right now, just chill and enjoy being fifteen.

:)

TeenageTragedyx

HSC
Firstly, you don't get "options" for uni. You will probably have a meeting with your Careers Advisor and go from there. They will ask you basic questions about what you would like to do in life.
sounds like going to a psyciatrist
"how are you feeling..?" :haha:
but yeah, i understand :)

Sure, if you like maths and science and history, do uni courses relating to them.
Haha, I dont paticuraly like maths but it'd definitly be one of the requirements for any job really..
If i did standard maths and got a good mark then.. hmm. I dont know.:speechless:

Right now, just chill and enjoy being fifteen.

:)
I am, I am.. just dont want to leave things too late. :)

Sammy2011

HSC
Hey, I want to go into Veterinary Science too.
The ATAR this year for Veterinary Science at Sydney Uni was 98.4, after which you sit another exam and an interview. There is only one another university in NSW which offers Vet, and that is Charles Sturt uni, which you need over 90 ATAR, but you have to promise to enter the field of Rural practice.

After that, there is James Cook university (in Queensland) and the University of Queensland, which both require around 98.5. Then there's one in Northern Territory (forget the ATAR) and two in Western Australia, with Murdoch University asking for around 97+.

Each university asks for a knowledge in Chemistry, Biology or Physics (never NEED both), and would prefer Advanced English.

I talked to the Dean of Veterinary Science at Sydney University, and he said that they would accept students from General Mathmatics.

I agree with the previous comments, its always best to choose subjects you have an interest in, because if you like them and want to learn about them, it will be far easier in the end to study and get the marks.

Hope I helped :)

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
Hey, I want to go into Veterinary Science too.
The ATAR this year for Veterinary Science at Sydney Uni was 98.4, after which you sit another exam and an interview. There is only one another university in NSW which offers Vet, and that is Charles Sturt uni, which you need over 90 ATAR, but you have to promise to enter the field of Rural practice.

After that, there is James Cook university (in Queensland) and the University of Queensland, which both require around 98.5. Then there's one in Northern Territory (forget the ATAR) and two in Western Australia, with Murdoch University asking for around 97+.

Each university asks for a knowledge in Chemistry, Biology or Physics (never NEED both), and would prefer Advanced English.

I talked to the Dean of Veterinary Science at Sydney University, and he said that they would accept students from General Mathmatics.
There are no prerequisites for most university courses, they can't deny you for doing x subject and not y kinda thing. It's just assumed knowledge, if you get the cutoff ATAR, alls good

klaris

HSC
sounds like going to a psyciatrist
"how are you feeling..?" :haha:
but yeah, i understand :)

Haha, I dont paticuraly like maths but it'd definitly be one of the requirements for any job really..
If i did standard maths and got a good mark then.. hmm. I dont know.:speechless:

I am, I am.. just dont want to leave things too late. :)
If you are really eager (and you definitely sound it) then just go and have a chat to your careers advisor. I did do it a few times in year ten because I was so curious as to how the senior school operated. He gave me a few handouts and I sifted over those for a few weeks.

Right now, I am currently questioning him over doing International Relations at uni and getting uni handbooks etc, even though I am only in year eleven. I am even sitting in on the uni talks soon enough, but only because I was so eager to have a look at it.

Personally, I always hated maths, even as a kid and this greatly went into my decision when choosing HSC subjects. I didn't choose maths. I was (and still am) horrible at it and I didn't want to drag down my HSC marks/ATAR like that. Instead, I choose hospo, which isn't completely bad, only tolerable.

And I understand wanting to get things in early. I am the same now, pretty much. But seriously GO OUT AND HAVE FUN. I am only learning now that it takes a lot of organising for three days of complete outrageous fun and it was so much easier back in year ten.

Sammy2011

HSC
There are no prerequisites for most university courses, they can't deny you for doing x subject and not y kinda thing. It's just assumed knowledge, if you get the cutoff ATAR, alls good
This is correct, just clarifying an issue that had puzzled me, as I was in the same boat last year :)

Holly M

HSC
If you are really eager (and you definitely sound it) then just go and have a chat to your careers advisor. I did do it a few times in year ten because I was so curious as to how the senior school operated. He gave me a few handouts and I sifted over those for a few weeks.
Right now, I am currently questioning him over doing International Relations at uni and getting uni handbooks etc, even though I am only in year eleven. I am even sitting in on the uni talks soon enough, but only because I was so eager to have a look at it.
Personally, I always hated maths, even as a kid and this greatly went into my decision when choosing HSC subjects. I didn't choose maths. I was (and still am) horrible at it and I didn't want to drag down my HSC marks/ATAR like that. Instead, I choose hospo, which isn't completely bad, only tolerable.
And I understand wanting to get things in early. I am the same now, pretty much. But seriously GO OUT AND HAVE FUN. I am only learning now that it takes a lot of organising for three days of complete outrageous fun and it was so much easier back in year ten.
I agree, i just hope you have a good careers advisor (ours is a w****r who suggest we all quit school after year 10 and get apprenticeships). Please, enjoy year 10! It's relatively easy, and for the most part you can get away without doing too much work. It'll be a great year.

I would (without any real knowledge) suggest doing both advanced English and advanced Maths. I think doing all the sciences (well the good ones) is a good start, you can drop one at the end of the year if you need to.
I think go with Drama and Photosgraphy because by the sounds you enjoy them, and they would be a good way to break up the constant academia of the sciences and maths etc. Plus it's always great to do subjects you like.

I don't think the prerequisites would be too strict if they have any at all. Sciences (and maybe, possibly maths) would be good just to get the knowledge for assumed knowledge etc, but i doubt anything else.
I think it's basically about your ATAR, and there are ways to circumvent that if you don't get high enough.

I suggest just doing subjects you like and know you will do well in, that garuntees fairly good marks and should correlate to courses you would enjoy.

As people have said prerequisites are rare, so don't worry too much. I think what you are doing is good, but i would suggest if you can handle it doing advanced in both english and maths... it will scale better and i think if you are planning to be a vet then you could probably handle it.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)